• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2020
    Levon Minassian - Sources

Brilliant duduk music coming from a musician whose gifted playing comes awfully close to Gasparyan´s.
  1. John Williams - assorted pieces

A friend of mine was listening to Five Sacred Trees today, so I did that as well and now I'm on the album which features TreeSong and the violin concerto. Very interesting works, which do feature a lot of Williams' trademark stylings, but at the same time, sounds quite different. I'd like to get more into this and, generally, concert work by film composers.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2021
    NP: POE (Eric Woolfson)

Sort of a follow-up album to TALES AND MYSTERY that the late Woolfson released in 2003. This is more in 'musical' territory, which is where he went after leaving APP - but the type of musical I can stomach, often very close to the already theatrical music they did in their heyday. I think it's excellent (although obviously not on the level of the original classic). There was an actual musical version too, which I also have, but I prefer this studio album recording.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    NP: POE (Eric Woolfson)

Sort of a follow-up album to TALES AND MYSTERY that the late Woolfson released in 2003. This is more in 'musical' territory, which is where he went after leaving APP - but the type of musical I can stomach, often very close to the already theatrical music they did in their heyday. I think it's excellent (although obviously not on the level of the original classic). There was an actual musical version too, which I also have, but I prefer this studio album recording.

It's this sort of post that highlights to me just how much music I know nothing about!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But you DO know The Alan Parsons Project, I would assume? smile
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    But you DO know The Alan Parsons Project, I would assume? smile

I have heard of them. But am not familiar with them and only know some of their stuff through one compilation. I also know there is a link to film music though, without searching, I can't remember any specifics.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, orchestral APP arranger Andrew Powell has done a few film scores -- LADYHAWKE, ROCKET GIBRALTAR.

I think you would like a lot of their music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2021
    NP: ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE (Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman & Steve Howe)

Wild 80s, über-produced prog rock that is not for everyone, but I just love the combined forces of this "super group". Extremely sophisticated arrangements.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2021
    NP: RETRO FUTURE (Waveshaper)

My favourite synthwaver. This is his second album from 2014, and while not as strong as the debut album TRACKS TO THE FUTURE, it's all excellent.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. There's so much stuff for me to check out!
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: RETRO FUTURE (Waveshaper)

My favourite synthwaver. This is his second album from 2014, and while not as strong as the debut album TRACKS TO THE FUTURE, it's all excellent.

Well, that was fun! I'd agree with you Thor that TRACKS TO THE FUTURE is stronger than RETRO FUTURE with the former album being more to my listening tastes than the latter. RETRO FUTURE doesn't have that deeper more organic sound to it that the debut album has (save for a track such as "Cabin Fever In Space").
  6. Thor wrote
    NP: ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE (Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman & Steve Howe)

Wild 80s, über-produced prog rock that is not for everyone, but I just love the combined forces of this "super group". Extremely sophisticated arrangements.

Nope. Couldn't stomach much of this at all! Jon Anderson's vocal quality is something I can take only in very small doses and under very limited circumstances.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2021 edited
    Ha, ha. Yes, it can be quite grating if you're not "into" this kind of prog. Generally, I prefer art rock or symphonic rock more - which is less "wild" -- but sometimes, it's fun to go all out. Glad you enjoyed the Waveshapers. Pretty much all of his music is on Bandcamp, so it's something to get lost in (in a positive sense).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ENYA (Enya)

Need some relaxing music this morning, after this weekend's shenanigans. Enya is the perfect pill.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2021
    NP: WATERMARK (Enya)

One more.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SHEPHERD MOONS (Enya)

I couldn't help myself. One more. This is my favourite album of hers, btw.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    NP: SHEPHERD MOONS (Enya)

I couldn't help myself. One more. This is my favourite album of hers, btw.

I am curious, if this is your favourite why not play this first? Or are you listening in chronological order? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, I was listening in chronological order. There are five more albums to go after this (I have all her studio albums), but I think I'm moving elsewhere now.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Yes, I was listening in chronological order. There are five more albums to go after this (I have all her studio albums), but I think I'm moving elsewhere now.

So, in a sense, you are going to 'sail away, sail away, sail away'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LOL! Yeah. That track, "Orinoco Flow" was on the previous album WATERMARK, btw. On SHEPHERD MOONS, the biggest hit, "Book of Days" (famously used over the end credits in FAR & AWAY, among other things), is located in the middle of the album - it does not have 'hit single' placement at the beginning or end. I think she never expected it to be such a hit.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2021
    NP: LUSH, LATIN & COOL (The Marty Paich Piano Quartet)

Cool jazz/exotica album from 1961, featuring John Williams as one of the four pianists. Paich, of course, is more famous to some as the dad of David Paich of Toto fame, and an arranger on the DUNE score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2021 edited
    [sorry, wrong thread]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2021
    NP: VOICES 2 (Max Richter)

Damn, he works quickly. I haven't even properly explored and familiarized myself with the first VOICES album from last year yet, and here's another already. More of the same, though. Haunting, static textures. For the first VOICES, I removed the vocal version and kept the instrumental version only. Famous Norwegian violinist Mari Samuelsen is featured as soloist.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I'll just remind everyone that Mari Samuelsen is one of the soloists for whom Horner wrote his Pas de Deux concerto smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed she was. And her brother.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TALK (Yes)

This is all Rabin, basically. I love it. Those expansive chords that Rabin does so well. I talked a bit about it in my interview with him here, especially a link between "I Am Waiting" and the theme from ARMAGEDDON. And then you have Roger Hodgson (of Supertramp fame - my favourite band) involved as well. Cool.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Were he and Mark Mancina in the band at the same time?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes. Mancina co-produced UNION three years prior to TALK.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2021 edited
    NP: SUPERNATURAL - SANTANA

It’s a beautiful sunny day here in Norwich, probably the warmest of the year so far, and I’m off work.

And I have beer.

‘Nuff said.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2021
    LSH wrote
    NP: SUPERNATURAL - SANTANA

It’s a beautiful sunny day here in Norwich, probably the warmest of the year so far, and I’m off work.

And I have beer.

‘Nuff said.

cool

Great album. His legendary "Greatest Hits" album is one of my oldest CDs, I think. I have an interesting story to tell about that.
    I am extremely serious.