• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Moroder is right up there with Jarre, Vangelis and Beethov... Right, maybe not with him. wink

Why not? smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Yup, back in the 70s pop and jazz versions of classical evergreens were big. Anyone remember Apollo 100, Jacques Loussier or The Swingle Singers ? Or the Polish piano duo Marek & Vacek ?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Midnight Express over Superman, Days of Heaven and The Boys From Brazil was a travesty!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Midnight Express over Superman, Days of Heaven and The Boys From Brazil was a travesty!

-Erik-

All great scores, no doubt, but MIDNIGHT was the deserved winner. The others were more conventional.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Unconventional =/= good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In this case, yes it's good. Of course, that's not the only strength of the score, but in company with those others, it's one of its stronger aspects.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In company of those others, phrases like "travesty", "collective insanity" and "look at us being so very alternative hence important" rather insinuate themselves.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2015
    As I said, Martijn -- we're on different planets when it comes to this guy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ You've been on a different planet all your life!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Why do you think Moroder's score was so undeserving Erik?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. And what did it win with as I don't remember the nominations?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    As I said, Martijn -- we're on different planets when it comes to this guy.

But I live on the right planet. THE RIGHT PLANET!!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And what did it win with as I don't remember the nominations?

Superman- John Williams
    Heaven Can Wait- Dave Grusin
    Midnight Express- Giorgio Moroder
    Days of Heaven- Ennio Morricone
    The Boys from Brazil- Jerry Goldsmith
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Why do you think Moroder's score was so undeserving Erik?

Because Superman, The Boys From Brazil and Days of Heaven.

-Erik-
  4. Well, I guess, Superman didn't win because JW won the award the previous year for STAR WARS, which was in some regards a rather similar score.
    Midnight Express was a ground breaking score, in its own way not unlike SW the year before.
    Days of Heaven was largely unused, or wasn't it? The Academy does not award CDs/LPs (like the Grammys) but the music as heard in the film.
    But Heaven can Wait and Boys from Brazil were still tough competition.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, I guess, Superman didn't win because JW won the award the previous year for STAR WARS, which was in some regards a rather similar score.

Nope... that's not a reason.

Captain Future wrote
    Midnight Express was a ground breaking score, in its own way not unlike SW the year before.

Sure, but Star Wars wasn't groundbreaking. And just because you write something different doesn't make it the best.

Captain Future wrote
    Days of Heaven was largely unused, or wasn't it? The Academy does not award CDs/LPs (like the Grammys) but the music as heard in the film.

Do you seriously believe that? You want to believe that and so do I but that's not how it works unfortunately.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2015 edited
    People have been speculating on how the Academy votes for years, but no one really has any insight. It's a rather meaningless enterprise. Either way, they made the right call in this case -- not only because the score was groundbreaking (and by far the most original of the nominees), but also because it works beautifully in the film; the grittiness of the Turkish prison mirrored in Moroder's gritty, high-pitched modulations. Great stuff. Plus the smokin' thematic material, of course ("Chase", "Theme", "Love Theme" etc.) -- especially "Chase" with that relentless, melancholy doom'n'gloom he also did so well with "Tony's Theme" in SCARFACE.

Genius score!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. All right, SW didn't establish but re-established a way of film scoring. It started a renaissance. (Although symphonic film scoring was never entirely gone. That's a bit of a legend.)

So, Erik, why do you think, "Midnight Express" did win? Have the Hollywood composers been jealous of John Williams and voted for Moroder in an act of defiance?

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not defiance, I would think.
    Rather a misguided sense of avant-garde. 'Edginess'.
    "Oh, look! A synthesizer! How modern and new and important!"

I think the Academy enjoys to pretend they are very much on top of the latest thing to kick off, while of course they seldomly are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015 edited
    So I just came back from the Moroder intervew! Awesome guy. He told me after the interview that "he's told me some things he's never said to anyone before!". I'll take that as a compliment.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015
    Very cool, Thor!
    Will you write it up in English?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Very cool, Thor!
    Will you write it up in English?

Yes, it will be published in English, but more interestingly also as a radio show/webcast at Celluloid Tunes (in English too, of course). I tried desperately to hide my fanboy tendencies in this case, and think I succeeded somewhat.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Multos coolos!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I hope so! And now it's off for his concert here in Oslo (the DJ set he's been touring with recently)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015
    Of course, now i'm extremely drunk again. moroder concert was as predicated. smooth ailings.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That's absolutely cool Thor! Here in Gent you've raved many times about this guy, while nobody actually understood this enthusiasm, I'm glad you got a long interview with him.
    Kazoo
  7. As predicated biggrin

You're definitely subject to alcohol intake. It helps you verbalize what you really think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Thor wrote
    So I just came back from the Moroder intervew! Awesome guy. He told me after the interview that "he's told me some things he's never said to anyone before!". I'll take that as a compliment.

great to hear you met one of your heroes, it are moments like these that stick with you for the rest of your days smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    With the amount of braincells he fried last night?
    I'd be surprised if he even remembers who Giorgio Moroder is this morning! wink