• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Good question. I've always wondered about that myself.

Looking at Royal Mail's comments on receiving mail from overseas, they say that

"International mail rules determine that claims for loss or damage should be considered by the postal provider of the country from where the item was sent. Claims should be made by the person who posted the item."

So it could be that, if an item from (for example) SAE goes missing, then it is deemed that the American postal service should investigate and that it is (for example) SAE who should chase up the claim.

I've always suspected that stores that send out CDs are conscious of the fact that people may claim that a package hasn't arrived but have received the item and are hoping to be sent a replacement. With the saturation of the CD market by limited editions there is an increased incentive for unscrupulous individuals to try and get an extra copy and an incentive for stores to not send out these automatically.

It would be interesting to know whether stores can charge people an extra fee to guarantee delivery of a replacement item.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Does anyone know whether the same situation applies for CDs and for CDs sent international? This piece made me think whether SAE was entitled to charge extra to ensure that a second order would be shipped if the first does not arrive.

It's a minefield of legal frameworks, I'm afraid, Alan.
    Rule of thumb: the legal system in the land of origin applies: i.e. if SAE under US law is allowed to levy a charge for overseas customers or to deny replacements for items lost in the mail, you're shit out of luck.
    They will have a waiver under US law, the (UK) postal services will have a waiver under UK law. And so there is no recourse for the overseas customer.

Ever since they instigated that policy, they have gone from my very favourite soundtrack provider to an organisation that I order from very, very rarely (once a year, maybe). It's all you can do: take your business elsewhere.
    As the bulk of their sales are domestic though, I don't think they'll feel it very much.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    So it could be that, if an item from (for example) SAE goes missing, then it is deemed that the American postal service should investigate and that it is (for example) SAE who should chase up the claim.

...unless their terms & conditions say otherwise (and are allowed under relevant US law).
    That's the problem.

You almost never have a proper (legal) recourse. sad

I find that contacting SAE directly often yields good results under the banner of trust and mutual respect.
    But that of course is no legal bedrock.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013 edited
    It seems that Austin Wintory's CD for Journey was mastered from mp3s. I don't remember there being complaints about bad sound quality.

Does that mean that, when you are not told you don't really hear a difference between mp3 and CD?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. When mp3 became popular double blind tests were run with trained and untrained listeners on various kinds of equipment and various musical styles. Result: Trained listeners were able to identify the string driven classic music recordings as mp3s. Everything else went unnoticed.

Appart from that: They might have used lossless mp3.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Appart from that: They might have used lossless mp3.

No such thing. Even 320 kbps mp3s are lossy.
  4. "Trained listeners"? Not your Joe Public then.

I wonder how you train someone to listen.
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    "Trained listeners"? Not your Joe Public then.

Experianced people I would think. Producers of classical music recordings, music critics, professional musicians ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I do not believe it for a second (unless these were low bitrate MP3s. Say 192 kbps and under).

Infuriatingly, I've been searching the internet high and low, but other than some highly dubious and excruciatingly biased and unscientific personal experiments here and there, I cannot find any records of any proper double-blind, objectified experiment with high-end MP3s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    I do not believe it for a second (unless these were low bitrate MP3s. Say 192 kbps and under).

Infuriatingly, I've been searching the internet high and low, but other than some highly dubious and excruciatingly biased and unscientific personal experiments here and there, I cannot find any records of any proper double-blind, objectified experiment with high-end MP3s.

Yeah, the only time I could honestly tell a difference was between a 128k and a 320k MP3. 192k and above it becomes almost impossible to tell for me. But psychologically I always want at least 320k and prefer lossless to make sure I am not missing anything tongue

Oh, and that spotify rip of Man of Steel sounded like absolute crap but I don't know what bitrate that was.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    Scribe wrote
    But psychologically I always want at least 320k and prefer lossless to make sure I am not missing anything tongue

shame
    Guilty as well.
  6. Martijn wrote

Guckst du hier:
    http://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Kreuzver … 87592.html

devil
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Guckst du hier:

devil
    Volker

Well, I certainly can't argue with that.
    whatever it says
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    "Trained listeners"? Not your Joe Public then.

Alan, if you're able to meditate, your ears suddenly become better. You'll be able to listen to everything that is going on in the recording and some of them depending on the composer are quite complex. If I'm distracted at all the listening session is a loss unless I'm looking to recapture the melody only.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Guckst du hier:

devil
    Volker

Gemacht! Danke, Volker!
    Embarassingly, I never even considered searching in non-English sources. dizzy

Anyway, a very interesting article it is. And in fact it completely supports my persistent hypothesis, that high-end MP3s really cannot be distinguished in any meaningful way by the human ear from a lossless source.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Google translate:

infidels should face the task of identifying the origin of music performances in 'flying blind'

uhm

But yes, it's all placebo. I seem to remember a certain member from this forum (who shall remain nameless) who thought that once transferred onto a CD, audio magically sounds better. biggrin
  7. Steven wrote
    Google translate:

infidels should face the task of identifying the origin of music performances in 'flying blind'

This is a religion you could follow, isn't it? wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013
    sdtom wrote
    Alan, if you're able to meditate, your ears suddenly become better. You'll be able to listen to everything that is going on in the recording and some of them depending on the composer are quite complex. If I'm distracted at all the listening session is a loss unless I'm looking to recapture the melody only.
    Tom

I agree with this. Its to difficult to actually concetrate and focus on the music I'm listening to, because there are so many distractions, but when I do go into a mental state of listening that's akin to meditation, the listening experience is so much better....