• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    "Ah, easy Alan"? I was hoping to make it clear I wasn't hot under the collar. Oh, well. Failed with that?

biggrin
    Not at all! I expressed myself ambiguously! What I meant was 'easy (to answer), Alan'!

If the majority of the population does not hear a difference then it should make no difference to the enjoyment of the music you are listening to to offer a level that sounds the same as lossless?

Yup. But then listening pleasure or experience wasn't really my point.

And are you already thinking ahead to when mp3s are outdated!?

Oh, absolutely!
    I've seen the end of spool tapes, 8-tracks, cassette tapes, DAT, vinyl (although there's a small renaissance going on there), minidisc and soon the CD (SACD and DVD-A never really having taken off).
    I'm positive I'll see the end of mp3, and it won't be in the very distant future.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011
    Now those are the kind of links I was hoping for, thank you smile

How is it possible that MP3s can become outdated in the same way that physical media does? Its very simple to add the ability to read any given audio format to a personal audio device, so I can't imagine that any manufacturer would randomly cease supporting the format.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Manufacturers would be the first to end support for a format if it meant that you had to buy your collection all over again. It's going to be the general populous that will keep old digital formats going.

Then it will be made illegal to use these old formats because of pressure from the music companies.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    There's no precedent for a file format becoming illegal. How on earth could such a thing possibly be enforced, when piracy isn't?

I would think (hope) that the general populous' tolerance for new formats is coming to an end, it's physically impossible to see the difference in any higher resolution than Bluray unless you have 20:5 vision :D ... so they are trying to get people to adopt 3D as the next cash cow but that's a bigger challenge because a large percentage of consumers do not like 3D.

In the past, new formats were adopted more easily because they had obvious, marketable benefits. Most people can see that Bluray is better than DVD is better than VHS. But that road is at an end. Something will have to change. Especially given the state of the economy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Also, Martijn, I think those articles convinced me that its not worth the effort to care whether there's a difference between 320k and CD... :D just enjoy the music...I mean I have promos that I enjoy that are only available in 128k....

As a casual environmentalist I prefer downloads over CDs for obvious reasons, so I'd rather support downloads as the future of music, but I hope the major outlets soon go the route of The Classical Shop and MovieScoreMedia and Klaus Badelt's store in offering high quality downloads for those of us who just want Super Premium fuel for the peace of mind smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    There's no precedent for a file format becoming illegal. How on earth could such a thing possibly be enforced, when piracy isn't?

I don't think Alan was being completely serious in that respect. wink
    (On the other hand, who in history would have thought mandatory "region coding" for films would be an accepted standard at some point? To make money, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction...)

However, a scenario where a certain format is being actively retired certainly isn't unthinkable.
    While obviously of course I'd prefer backwards compatibility in the future, such a thing by no means is guarantueed (especially when future music encoding will take the route it's already taking, with a completely different design of and philosophy towards coding and decoding).

I would think (hope) that the general populous' tolerance for new formats is coming to an end, it's physically impossible to see the difference in any higher resolution than Bluray unless you have 20:5 vision :D ... so they are trying to get people to adopt 3D as the next cash cow but that's a bigger challenge because a large percentage of consumers do not like 3D.

Interestingly there does seem to be a backlash there....but only on the cinema front!
    It's still gonna be the next big thing in home entertainment!

Something will have to change. Especially given the state of the economy.

Now that is an excellent point and the primary (indeed maybe even the only) one I can see effecting a real change in the bigger-BIGGER-BIGGER mentality we've come to expect from the entertainment industry over the last half century or so.

Scribe wrote
    Also, Martijn, I think those articles convinced me that its not worth the effort to care whether there's a difference between 320k and CD... :D just enjoy the music

fireworks applause yeah fireworks
    Utterly, completely, totally, ultimately, intensely agree.

As a casual environmentalist I prefer downloads over CDs for obvious reasons, so I'd rather support downloads as the future of music

Hm. I never thought of that.
    Not a bad point, really...

but I hope the major outlets soon go the route of The Classical Shop and MovieScoreMedia and Klaus Badelt's store in offering high quality downloads for those of us who just want Super Premium fuel for the peace of mind smile

punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I just don't understand the refusal to buy music as a download if it is not lossless. You (a general "you" and not to specific people) would rather do without? Or be happier with a lossy version that hadn't been bought?

I listen to a lot of music that is available only from a lossy source and I believe people of principle are losing out. But then part of having principles is accepting there are times where you have to do without things you want - if you actually wanted it in the first place.

For most people the lossy source is fine. What I'm saying on my $1000 setup there is a difference in what I hear. If lossy is all that is available I'll take it. Rather have the music than nothing.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011 edited
    I think the main reason CDs will survive as a music medium is that with digital download, there isn't any motivation for the person of gray morals to purchase albums...at least with CDs you are getting something physical that you can hold in your hands and that looks nice enough (theoretically) to display.

I am in a small private sharing operation where we buy albums and scan the album art for each other for CDs that are not easily available in our regions, and even though "piracy" is occuring, at least one person MUST purchase the physical CD to scan the artwork...with digital downloads there is absolutely no incentive to buy the CD.
  2. To my mind I can't see the motivation for a lot of people to buy CDs when most music can easily be found as illegal downloads.

The argument that at least a fraction of the potential sale is going to the musicians, etc with one person buying it to share is bizarre.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011
    Scribe wrote
    I think the main reason CDs will survive as a music medium is that with digital download, there isn't any motivation for the person of gray morals to purchase albums...at least with CDs you are getting something physical that you can hold in your hands and that looks nice enough (theoretically) to display.

I am in a small private sharing operation where we buy albums and scan the album art for each other for CDs that are not easily available in our regions, and even though "piracy" is occuring, at least one person MUST purchase the physical CD to scan the artwork...with digital downloads there is absolutely no incentive to buy the CD.

What will survive in the not too distant future will be used CD's, books, corded telephones. The days of selling a million copies of a particular release are history. Do you think the record labels care about a 1000 piece sale of Casanova? I doubt it. This will hold true with DVD's, books, and mail. Do you think the average older person participates in illegal downloads? I don't. There will be a few who will hang onto the older technology until the end. VHS, LP's, 45's, cassettes, laser discs, 8 tracks, reel to reel tapes are still around. But millions of people use and pay for downloads and the quality is less than but more than good enough for the general public.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    To my mind I can't see the motivation for a lot of people to buy CDs when most music can easily be found as illegal downloads.

The argument that at least a fraction of the potential sale is going to the musicians, etc with one person buying it to share is bizarre.

As I said most people don't do the illegal route.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Most people who go the illegal route, wouldn't have bought it anyway.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    Most people who go the illegal route, wouldn't have bought it anyway.

100% correct
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I just moved into my own place and have no money, but I refuse to give up my addiction to obtaining and listening to new music, so piracy is the only way. I'm keeping a list of all the music I obtain illegally so that I can buy it later when I have more money. Yes, I actually will, I did this once before and afterwards placed a rather LARGE order...much plastic wrap ensued...

On the original topic, another interesting thought I had is that the MP3 vs CD quality debate is often a much less important factor to quality than the all-important recording and engineering quality. A bad recording is going to sound just as bad on CD (or even worse, since you can hear the flaws better!), and John Williams percussion still sounds brilliant compressed on my ipod in cheap(er) headphones. When I notice flaws on my high-end equipment, its far more often an error in the recording rather than an insufficiency in the compression algorithm of an MP3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Scribe wrote
    I just moved into my own place and have no money, but I refuse to give up my addiction to obtaining and listening to new music, so piracy is the only way. I'm keeping a list of all the music I obtain illegally so that I can buy it later when I have more money. Yes, I actually will, I did this once before and afterwards placed a rather LARGE order...much plastic wrap ensued...

On the original topic, another interesting thought I had is that the MP3 vs CD quality debate is often a much less important factor to quality than the all-important recording and engineering quality. A bad recording is going to sound just as bad on CD (or even worse, since you can hear the flaws better!), and John Williams percussion still sounds brilliant compressed on my ipod in cheap(er) headphones. When I notice flaws on my high-end equipment, its far more often an error in the recording rather than an insufficiency in the compression algorithm of an MP3.

I can hear the difference but most people can't. Remember I played trombone for a long time so my ear is somewhat tuned.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Unlike most people my age, I never really went to loud concerts and I rarely listen to music particularly loudly, so I probably have less damaged hearing than most people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Scribe wrote
    Unlike most people my age, I never really went to loud concerts and I rarely listen to music particularly loudly, so I probably have less damaged hearing than most people.

You might know the difference.
    Tom
  3. I see from MovieMusic Store that the US Postal Service have raised the shipping rate for International orders of a single CD by 90%!! Shipping on multiple CD orders is up 'only' 25%.

I am assuming that this will feature in orders from other stores too?

It is bound to affect CD sales and is a further squeeze on these outlets. Lower sales could mean increased CD prices, making matters worse.
  4. sdtom wrote
    Scribe wrote

What will survive in the not too distant future will be used CD's, books, corded telephones. The days of selling a million copies of a particular release are history. Do you think the record labels care about a 1000 piece sale of Casanova? I doubt it. This will hold true with DVD's, books, and mail. Do you think the average older person participates in illegal downloads? I don't. There will be a few who will hang onto the older technology until the end. VHS, LP's, 45's, cassettes, laser discs, 8 tracks, reel to reel tapes are still around. But millions of people use and pay for downloads and the quality is less than but more than good enough for the general public.
    Tom smile

I believe the maket will continue to split up in separate segments: general (mass) market and special markets: jazz; film music; classical music beyond the sunday afternoon radio canon. I expect the CDA to last in these special markets where the customers are collectors and audiophiles. In the general market the CD will vanish more and more, at least in first world countries.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I see from MovieMusic Store that the US Postal Service have raised the shipping rate for International orders of a single CD by 90%!! Shipping on multiple CD orders is up 'only' 25%.

I am assuming that this will feature in orders from other stores too?

It is bound to affect CD sales and is a further squeeze on these outlets. Lower sales could mean increased CD prices, making matters worse.

Wow, when did this happen? SAE's rates are still the same I see, will everyone increase those shipping rates?
  5. MovieMusic Store (MMS) mentioned that the US Postal people were upping their rates and I assume that MMS will apply the costs when they begin to be affected by this - if they have not increased their rates already.

I can only assume that everyone will be doing this at some point soon. Maybe it's a good time to get those orders in now before the costs increase.
  6. According to the USPS site, the new rates came in yesterday:

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2 … ml/kit.htm

So I would expect stores to pass on the costs to the customers asap. But I can't see such a huge hike from my brief skim of the information.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013
    Hmmm... don't like this increase. Over here prices are insane for 1 CD, I cross the border to the Netherlands and I pay half the rate (especially profitable when having to ship lots of international orders). I guess it's inevitable that the rates of the US stores will increase considerably based on that info.
  7. Looks like SAE have put up their shipping costs. There's now a cost of $10.00 for the "ordinary" international shipping to countries other than Canada.

For a single CD sent internationally, the cost used to be $7.10.

So, if ordering a single Intrada release (for example) total cost for CD including s&h will be $30.00. I think that multiple CDs per order is what's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013 edited
    Yeap, reason why i stopped shopping from them too, shipping insurance because of high danger of things getting lost in your country, what a piece of crap. I am buying expensive video equipment via ebay all the time, both from inside and outside the E.U and nothing ever got lost; i wonder who will steal a film score CD instead.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Packages with CDs do go missing - I have had it happen to me in the past. People may not know that it's film music in the box/parcel but they take their chances and perhaps take it (at whichever part of the mailing process) just out of curiosity and hope. They must be so disappointed when they see that it's something like Tyler Bates' latest offering.

One of the main reasons I switched from CD to digital purchasing was to save on both the cost of the CD and shipping costs. To get the benefit of this cheaper option has been at the expense of things like (apparently) audio quality (I don't hear that so it doesn't matter to me) and not receiving elaborate booklets (for things like the recent Adventures of Don Juan release).

Back in 2008 I placed 33 orders with SAE whereas in 2012 I ordered from them only 6 times. Digital purchases were minimal in 2008 but last year most of my orders were digital. And with increasing costs of buying CDs from home and abroad together with my reduced disposable income, going the digital route has meant that I have been able to maintain a reasonable level of purchasing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    Demetris wrote
    Yeap, reason why i stopped shopping from them too, shipping insurance because of high danger of things getting lost in your country, what a piece of crap. I am buying expensive video equipment via ebay all the time, both from inside and outside the E.U and nothing ever got lost; i wonder who will steal a film score CD instead.

That's a bummer D slant I haven't dealt with SAE since the last time they changed the charges.

(touch wood) I've never had CD's go missing but way back in the past I've had LP's go missing and the (thief!?) must have known they were LP's? I wonder how disappointed he/she* was when they found out it was film soundtrack albums.

*I don't believe for one micro second that the perpetrator was a film score fan angelic wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I was reading about someone who had ordered a new mobile phone online but hadn't received it. They had contacted the retailer, who said that it had been sent. They also said that it was up to the buyer to contact the postal service (in this case Royal Mail) to make a claim.

The piece says that it is the responsibility of the company sending goods to ensure they arrive and that if an order goes missing while on route to the consumer, the company must send new goods or offer a full refund including postage costs. A buyer has a contract with the seller and not with the postal service.

Does anyone know whether the same situation applies for CDs and for CDs sent international? This piece made me think whether SAE was entitled to charge extra to ensure that a second order would be shipped if the first does not arrive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013
    Good question. I've always wondered about that myself.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Has anyone had much luck trying to get things sorted out when they have bought digital downloads and they are not satisfactory?

I've had a few recent experiences with this, with varying degrees of success. Trying to get some sort of resolution from iTunes is virtually impossible in my experience. I bought one particular album from them and it was constantly skipping/interrupting. I contacted them about it and I think that they just refunded the cost of the album. I went back some time later to the store and the problem with the album was still there. I had emailed the composer of the album and he gave me a copy of the album free - and a thanks for letting him know. He went on to contact iTunes but obviously nothing was done about it.

eMusic seems to be quite good at refunding if tracks are not what was advertised. I had a duplicate track sent even though it was labelled as being a different track. They refunded for one of the tracks but never got back to me saying if the error had been corrected on the album.

And, most recently, Google Play is advertising Geoff Zanelli's Into The West score for purchase (one of the few online stores to do so) but about a dozen of the tracks have track times of "0:00" and don't play an audio clip. I've tried to contact them about it over the last few days but I've heard nothing back and the error hasn't been corrected.