• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011
    Certainly not a composer that many of us are aware of I've found myself somewhat fascinated with the score to COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK. On first listen, which was while I watched the film I immediately thought it was based on the Schoenberg 12 tone system but on further examination I found that to be wrong. Van Cleave studied music under Joseph Schillinger who created what was called "the System" based on jazz energy and mathematics. I think that this score is based on his teachings. I want to hear what others think of this score.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Schoenberg and Schillinger are far from my favourite composers, so the chance that I will visit Cleave's score is ratehr remote, I fear.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Even so it is worth your time to watch the film and then form an opinion. Remember "contempt prior to investigation"
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I wouldn't even know where to start watching out for a film like that.
    Used to be that the BBC broadcast these old sci-fi flicks on Friday night (likewise Sky Channel)...but no such luck over the last decade or so.

So it'll be by a stroke of luck should I ever catch it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I wouldn't even know where to start watching out for a film like that.
    Used to be that the BBC broadcast these old sci-fi flicks on Friday night (likewise Sky Channel)...but no such luck over the last decade or so.

So it'll be by a stroke of luck should I ever catch it.

It used to be a real joy to return from the pub on a Friday or Saturday night and watch 50's sci-fi films, Hammer horrors and Universal classics, now it all seems to be reality cop chases and gambling type phone-ins and other tripe.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. The film has been uploaded to Youtube. I watched some of it to get an idea of how the music fitted with the music before my CD arrived. I wasn't sure myself how well it fitted in the film. The score seemed to be too much of a departure from the film.

As a standalone listen it is quite a difficult and challenging listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/c … an-cleave/

My review of Colossus of New York
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I could send you the film if you like Martijn
  2. sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/c … an-cleave/

My review of Colossus of New York

Nice review Tom. I haven't listened to this one again since I received it a couple of weeks ago. I should really sit down with it again and give it a good listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    thanks Alan. I did find that repeated listens improved my understanding of the score. I also watched the movie twice so in this case I was able to do my homework.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011
    working on Robinson Crusoe on Mars
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ha! I have that film lined up for viewing shortly!
    So looking forward to matching up my own experience with your review, Tom!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Ha! I have that film lined up for viewing shortly!
    So looking forward to matching up my own experience with your review, Tom!

Do you have the Criterion version?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I have it on Blu-ray. Looks great!
    I look forward to reading your review Tom!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    Working on it right now
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't seen that film since ...........mid 70's?

I look forward to reading a review.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    I haven't seen that film since ...........mid 70's?

I look forward to reading a review.

I remember you asking me for an opinion on this many months ago but I never got round to it. I hope that Tom's review will help you out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can tell you this it has one great track title. Its called Martian Matzo Balls cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The film was 1964
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Good review Tom! I'm playing it again now.
    Van Cleave was very good at atmospheric composition.
    Some of his Twilight Zone scores were very eerie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I will complete the trilogy of the FSM releases after I watch Space Children. Like Pope and Friedhofer he was an excellent orchestrator as well as composer.
    Tom