• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I just saw THE THING (the prequel) last night and it is excellent. A skillfully modulated exercise in paranoia and raw fear. Very respectful of the source film but different enough to stand alone. Of course Morricone's score for the first film is a minor masterpiece. For this new film the only snippet of Marco Beltrami's work that I was even able to notice was the short fanfare for the revelation of the saucer, and even with this I half suspect the director had to force Marco to write something with enough personality to properly underline the awesome moment. The end titles of the film said it all as regards where this composer stands: He falls right in line with all the rest of today's film composers who can only generate "barely there" melodic fragments and lowest-common-denominator phraseology - and all of this nothingness is blown up to huge proportions - to imitate actually saying something - with hyperbolic textural effects and heavy orchestration. Morricone said more with a handful of instruments and the CD of his THE THING score has more going on than the whole of Beltrami's body of work to date. How long do we have to wait for real writing to come back into film music? Or did Barry, Herrmann, Goldsmith and Poledouris forever take it all with them to the other side?
  2. Are we listening to the same score?? I thought the music was OUTSTANDING in context, and just as good as a standalone CD, where you can hear all the creative orchestral flourishes in full detail, without all the obfuscating sound effects.

I understand the question "how long do we have to wait for real writing to come back into film music" but, really, Beltrami is the LAST guy you should be leveling this criticism at. He's one of the few mainstream guys who *is* writing real film music.

http://moviemusicuk.us/2011/10/19/the-t … -beltrami/
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011 edited
    I am with Jon here, although some Beltrami's score are often bleak and lack melody... he sure can write superb stuff and nice melodies. (Hellboy anyone) He is one of the current composers that I like, and that is continuing the work of the old garde, albeit in his own (modern) way. I really like his Thing score. It has some great stuff in it.

He is in my list of a few composers of today that I respect, among Talgorn, Shearmur, Giacchino, Conde, Bataller etc.

IMHO 'composers' that can immediately stop making noise are all those that are related to Hans Zimmer's music farm.

I still have hope for Brian Tyler, as long he will turn his back to that Zimmer sound he using now. Because he too can write great stuff, like Darkness Falls. Anyway, getting carried away here. Beltrami can stay.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011
    Beltrami is fantastic and is one of the very few "horror composers" I can listen to, mainly because of his 'delicious darkness' orchestrations; his more romantic approach to the material.

I have no idea if that is sound is present in this one, as I haven't seen the film yet (or heard the score), but I hope so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Are we listening to the same score?? I thought the music was OUTSTANDING in context, and just as good as a standalone CD, where you can hear all the creative orchestral flourishes in full detail, without all the obfuscating sound effects.

I understand the question "how long do we have to wait for real writing to come back into film music" but, really, Beltrami is the LAST guy you should be leveling this criticism at. He's one of the few mainstream guys who *is* writing real film music.

http://moviemusicuk.us/2011/10/19/the-t … -beltrami/

His "don't be afraid of the dark" score this year is awesome.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Are we listening to the same score?? I thought the music was OUTSTANDING in context, and just as good as a standalone CD, where you can hear all the creative orchestral flourishes in full detail, without all the obfuscating sound effects.

yeah

Christodoulides wrote
    His "don't be afraid of the dark" score this year is awesome.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can certainly understand what John is talking about. If you listen to The Best Years of Our Lives the score is filled with melodies. Or how about The Uninvited from Victor Young? I can't comment on The latest score for The Thing because I've not heard it but now I want to hear it just to be able to form an opinion. While the comments went a little over the top I can certainly understand the frustration. I feel like the director wants no theme.
    tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  3. My post got responses - cool. Typically if I post at the FSM board I (metaphorically speaking) usually find myself standing in a big open field at night and listening to crickets - and that's all. (The FSM board is a weird place.) My reply to your posts (and thank you): I have an axiom that I firmly believe in and I stick to: "In any debate between two parties of more or less equal acumen on the subject of the arts it will usually be the party holding the pro position who will be correct - or even who SHOULD be correct." I believe this because art is created to be experienced, understood and enjoyed. Based on this truth my lack of enjoyment with Beltrami's THE THING puts me in the inferior position and I accept that. I cannot accuse Jon and the rest of you of being stupid or wrong - that would be rude, ignorant and would accomplish nothing and of course I do not think it! But - art is nothing if not a complex component of human expression and experience. I believe my (and "sdtom's") frustration with Marco's work is a valid clue that something real and pertinent is afoot. I assume we can all agree that if we compare Marco's THING score to Morricone's we see vast stylistic and formal differences - more differences than similarities in my opinion. How do I explain what I perceive? It is difficult but let me try: My perception is that Ennio's score involves the creation and use of fully formed and emphatically expressive musical constructs. By fully formed I mean that Ennio's cues each stand as independent statements, statements that, in a sense, mimic the cohesiveness of larger and/or more overtly independent structures such as a concerto or a ballad/melody/song-form - there will be a beginning, a middle, an ending. Also there will be present a melodic identity that is profound and communicative on more than one level - 1) melody that is instantly and irrefutably recognizable AS an emphatic melodic construct, 2) melody that boldly communicates a mood, emotion, an ambiance, and 3) melody that will be substantial enough to harbor and readily communicate the composer's unique voice or personal imprint. Now (and I may be wrong with this) to my ears Beltrami's end titles construct sounds like generic semi-melodic ramblings - a sort of stream of consciousness type of "writing" that is not unlike what one might do in the shower - a semi-melodic line that seems to have some vague structure and intent but never is fully realized. Of course Marco's end titles for THE THING is clearly "horror film music" - that is obvious. But this is because he is using only the most basic and familiar types of simplistic tropes and phraseology - kind of like your buddy's girlfriend catching him kissing another girl and you go (grimly and descending) "Da-da-da!" I hear Marco's THING end titles and I realize "OK, this music is telling me HORROR and FEAR." but I can detect nothing more than this. I can perceive a cohesive structure to Marco's end titles but I find it somehow basic and bland - it doesn't surprise me, it doesn't tax my expectations, it doesn't conflict with my own internal templates of what I might create if I were to compose an extended horror track. Morricone's THE THING cues DO conflict with my own head because all of his stuff is so utterly and expansively MORRICONE! Every note and line and structure expresses his unique sensibilities, and this phenomenon is also every bit as present in the work of Barry, Herrmann, North, Piccioni, Cipriani, Ifukube, Satoh and many others. I'll end by saying that, based on my axiom, I may be wrong about all of this and just "missing the boat" as regards what is really going on in contemporary film music. You guys seem to love it and I can't ignore that. I'll keep paying attention. I certainly don't won't to be an old fuddy-duddy grumbling about how "They don't write scores like they used to in my day!"
  4. Bender, I nominate your post for the Total Awesome Award. There's no physical statue, but you get a cookie.

Of course, by "get a cookie", I mean you have to go buy a cookie, but still -- you've been nominated.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    Bender, I nominate your post for the Total Awesome Award. There's no physical statue, but you get a cookie.

Of course, by "get a cookie", I mean you have to go buy a cookie, but still -- you've been nominated.

Could use some paragraph breaks... don't you think? I'm sure what John wrote is excellent but I can't look at that post for more than 3 second without my eyes going cross eyed.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011
    John Bender wrote
    My post got responses - cool. Typically if I post at the FSM board I (metaphorically speaking) usually find myself standing in a big open field at night and listening to crickets - and that's all. (The FSM board is a weird place.)

My reply to your posts (and thank you): I have an axiom that I firmly believe in and I stick to: "In any debate between two parties of more or less equal acumen on the subject of the arts it will usually be the party holding the pro position who will be correct - or even who SHOULD be correct." I believe this because art is created to be experienced, understood and enjoyed. Based on this truth my lack of enjoyment with Beltrami's THE THING puts me in the inferior position and I accept that. I cannot accuse Jon and the rest of you of being stupid or wrong - that would be rude, ignorant and would accomplish nothing and of course I do not think it! But - art is nothing if not a complex component of human expression and experience.

I believe my (and "sdtom's") frustration with Marco's work is a valid clue that something real and pertinent is afoot. I assume we can all agree that if we compare Marco's THING score to Morricone's we see vast stylistic and formal differences - more differences than similarities in my opinion. How do I explain what I perceive? It is difficult but let me try: My perception is that Ennio's score involves the creation and use of fully formed and emphatically expressive musical constructs. By fully formed I mean that Ennio's cues each stand as independent statements, statements that, in a sense, mimic the cohesiveness of larger and/or more overtly independent structures such as a concerto or a ballad/melody/song-form - there will be a beginning, a middle, an ending.

Also there will be present a melodic identity that is profound and communicative on more than one level -

1) melody that is instantly and irrefutably recognizable AS an emphatic melodic construct,
    2) melody that boldly communicates a mood, emotion, an ambiance, and
    3) melody that will be substantial enough to harbor and readily communicate the composer's unique voice or personal imprint.

Now (and I may be wrong with this) to my ears Beltrami's end titles construct sounds like generic semi-melodic ramblings - a sort of stream of consciousness type of "writing" that is not unlike what one might do in the shower - a semi-melodic line that seems to have some vague structure and intent but never is fully realized. Of course Marco's end titles for THE THING is clearly "horror film music" - that is obvious. But this is because he is using only the most basic and familiar types of simplistic tropes and phraseology - kind of like your buddy's girlfriend catching him kissing another girl and you go (grimly and descending) "Da-da-da!" I hear Marco's THING end titles and I realize "OK, this music is telling me HORROR and FEAR." but I can detect nothing more than this. I can perceive a cohesive structure to Marco's end titles but I find it somehow basic and bland - it doesn't surprise me, it doesn't tax my expectations, it doesn't conflict with my own internal templates of what I might create if I were to compose an extended horror track.

Morricone's THE THING cues DO conflict with my own head because all of his stuff is so utterly and expansively MORRICONE! Every note and line and structure expresses his unique sensibilities, and this phenomenon is also every bit as present in the work of Barry, Herrmann, North, Piccioni, Cipriani, Ifukube, Satoh and many others. I'll end by saying that, based on my axiom, I may be wrong about all of this and just "missing the boat" as regards what is really going on in contemporary film music. You guys seem to love it and I can't ignore that. I'll keep paying attention. I certainly don't won't to be an old fuddy-duddy grumbling about how "They don't write scores like they used to in my day!"

Hi John,

I like the themes you shed some light on, and the way you draw attention to important things such as phraseology and structure. I think Marco is a fantastic composer who can (when he's up to it) write innovating and imaginative film music that can still be dramatically sufficient for Hollywood "standards".

I don't know about THE THING, but I think you could be right that he compromises too much in some of his films, and the music gets smaller in the quest to make the cinema sub-woofers strike ever more fear in an audience - and directors tend to love that so much more than having someone come in and write them some good music - which is a terrible shame!

My theory is that Marco (after a couple of decades in the business) may be underestimating a portion of his audience, because he can really write a fantastic film score when he wants to. But perhaps he's thinking that if the film's requirements don't encourage it, why should he consume his creativity on this particular project?

Take it with a pinch of salt as I haven't seen the film :-)
    • CommentAuthorn_ck-cz
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    I have a similar opinion. Beltrami not used in the movie pronounced theme. The musical accompaniment of the action scenes use the same tools and even a short loop that have been made already in the third Terminator. The whole soundtrack it seems to me a lot of fragmented. I'm not saying Beltrami is a bad composer, but fail to create a dense atmosphere.

apologize for my English wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    The only notable element in the 2011 movie was the rendition of the Ennio original theme. The movie was very cold (no pun) too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.