• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    Anyone seen this film. It opened in Belgium on October 12th
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    The press release for the music is misleading.
  1. In what way?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    When I read the press release I got the idea that I would hear some Prokofiev, Debussy, and Ravel. A reference to La Mer, Lt. Kije, Love for Three Oranges, or a Ravel orchestration would have enhanced the score. When I think of 19th century romantic composers I think of Brahms, Bruckner, Berlioz, Wagner, and others and I really didn't hear the symphony reference to any I mentioned. I enjoyed Estancia very much but this was really a work from the 40's and to my ear seemed out of place. However, I've not seen the film yet as it hasn't been offered for viewing in San Diego so maybe it does fit the picture. I can clearly hear Herrmann's For The Fallen in My Suicide, The Bride of Frankenstein in 1927 A Russian Affair even the monster motif. Pretty Poppy offered a nice bit of Gershwin and Peppy and George mimics Goodman's Sing Sing Sing. George Valentin is the melody I remember and I certainly couldn't call this "brilliant and catchy original music in the spirit of Chaplin, Steiner, and Waxman." The score was good but perhaps I was expecting too much from it.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/t … ic-bource/

My review
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Cool, I didn't knew this was performed by our Flanders Philharmonic.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And performed excellently i'd say.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Overall I was most pleased with both the material and the performance. I will look forward to seeing the movie.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012 edited
    Winner of the Golden Globe for best original score. I didn't knew the score was also recorded in Belgium and had three of our orchestras (Tom's review mentions one of them). The score was performed by Brussels Philharmonic, the Brussels Jazz Orchestra, musician Jef Neve and the Dutch conductor Ernst van Tiel.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012
    Incredible score for an excellent movie experience. Very touching passionate.
  2. Apparently, here in the UK, some people have asked for a refund because there is no talking in the film.

If you watch the TV ads they are careful to avoid making clear that this is a silent film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012
    What retards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Apparently, here in the UK, some people have asked for a refund because there is no talking in the film.

If you watch the TV ads they are careful to avoid making clear that this is a silent film.

I'm surprised some people don't come out of certain films because THERE IS talking!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Apparently, here in the UK, some people have asked for a refund because there is no talking in the film.

I'm surprised some people don't come out of certain films because THERE IS talking!

-Erik-

PEARL HARBOR comes to mind, how can you throw that much money at a film and NOT have a decent script.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Oh, so it had one?! confused
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmm? You got me there Pawel, maybe you're right? Maybe they just told the actors to make it up as they went along. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Seriously though I read the crap that passed as Pearl Harbor script. To think that the same guy wrote one of my favourite epic movies that happens to be Braveheart, still escapes me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited
    Saw Team America World Police two weeks ago. The song Pearl Harbor sucked is funny.
    I haven't seen Pearl Harbor. But I believe you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012
    Bregje wrote
    Saw Team America World Police two weeks ago. The song Pearl Harbor sucked is funny.
    I haven't seen Pearl Harbor. But I believe you.

Heheh it's even funnier if you do watch it! Glad you liked Team America, it's pretty clever and God, i love their humor. Big fun smile
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote

I've read that too, funny that people still go to see a movie and know nothing about it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I've read that too, funny that people still go to see a movie and know nothing about it

Well don't we all want to know as little as possible? I only want to know if the subject matter will interest me. And even then, surprise is always welcome.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Reminds me of when I went to see Sweeney Todd. Never seen so many people leave the theatre as soon as the characters started to sing. Even the 'based upon the musical...' and 'songs adapted by' credits during the main titles didn't seem to give them a hint.

It seems to me incredibly narrow minded for people to ask a refund simply because there's no talking. It's a different way of telling a story, but that doesn't mean it can't entertain, be brilliant, funny, tragic, etc.!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Incredible score for an excellent movie experience. Very touching passionate.

Who has seen the film??? I did last night and would like to know if there is a story about why Bource's "My Suicide" wasn't used in the picture. The Vertigo music seemed proper and there was credit given as the producers chose to use the Bernstein recording from 1992. Anyone know anything?
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    From FSM On-Line

One such losing battle was the cue “My Suicide,” written to accompany the climax of the film in which George hits rock bottom. The final cut of the film was finished three weeks prior to the last recording date during the first week of April, as Bource was still trying to finish the cue. But “because the priority was to finish everything for Cannes [in May], Michel needed to present [the finished film] to the producers as soon as possible to reassure them of a project difficult to sell without music.” The climactic scene had been temped with Herrmann’s love theme from Vertigo for three months, “and every composer knows what that means,” says Bource. “Generally, you are condemned.” Vertigo remains in the final cut of the film, but Bource insists “Michel didn’t replace ‘My Suicide’ with Herrmann’s love theme. When the DVD comes out, you can put my music on that sequence.” Bource completed the cue on Hazanavicius’ birthday and dedicated it to him, “but we didn’t speak to each other during the last month. Why? Everything is in the title,” he adds, winking.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you didn't recognize the music like the two friends I went with it does fit the film pretty well. Of course my brilliant mind had to wonder how this love material from "Vertigo" is in a suicide scene.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought the film was impressive in its form and pastiche, but the story was insanely boring. So my reaction was lukewarm. The score fell in the 'impressive pastiche' part, though, and deserves its Oscar nomination (and eventual win, I guess).

Here's my article on the film:

http://montages.no/2012/01/imponerende- … he-artist/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/t … ic-bource/

My review of the music. It deserves the Oscar
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012 edited
    In case you hadn't heard, the guy won the Oscar for best score. Performed by the orchestra of the film festival in Ghent and the jazz orchestra of Brussel, and the piano performed by Jef Neve (from Jef Neve Trio) it does have a Belgian side to it as well. I'd have gone for Tintin myself.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    I'd have gone for Tintin myself.

For sheer Belgicanicity, absolutely. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012
    This time the academy got it right but a word of caution from me. Do not pass final judgment on this score until you see the movie. Forget the acting and plot and just listen and watch. I'm very happy.
    Tom cheesy