• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011
    Don't let all the Giacchino/Powell/etc. threads deter you...

...Glad to see you here.

Thanks, Thor, for continuing the welcome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    sdtom wrote
    A real hard one for me is the fact that I had a Golden Scores website but it was pretty much a failure. Some of that had to do with the fact that I had a dependence on someone else to upload material. There just wasn't a lot of interest. No one from FSM helped much. Someday it might reappear with a little help.
    Tom

Yes, very unfortunate that.

The lack of interest in Golden Age/1950s scores also affects CD sales and hampers the number of future albums planned for release.

FSM gave us two 1958 scores by Van Cleave ("Space Children"/"Colossus"), but will there be anything from the 1950s during their final wind-down in production?
    Happily, Kritzerland continues to bless the market with vintage soundtracks ("Men In War").

The most prominent labels remaining have dwindled their Golden Age output.
    Intrada hasn't released a 1950s title since their "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea".
    And Varese Sarabande, if one doesn't count their boxsets and Herrmann-related releases, hasn't issued a regular single-disc Golden Age title since presenting us with Alfred Newman's "President's Lady" and a re-issue of the Decca LP on Franz Waxman's "Crime In The Streets"...

... by, say, year 2017, the music of Richard Rodney Bennett will be Golden Age as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Nevertheless I do want to start it up again. Any help from you would be greatly appreciated. You can pm me. I think Bregt will help a little bit also and perhaps Anthony.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011
    Came across a CD of Bennett orchestral works I'd forgotten about. Reflections of a Scottish Folk Song is quite nice as it is for cello and orchestra.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    Still listening to the Bennett off and on. Partita is a wonderful modern sounding piece with a touch of Shostakovich dissonance I like.
    Tom
  1. I saw this posted at FSM today:

TheFamousEccles:

I'm reviving this thread because excerpts from Sir Richard Rodney Bennett's original score from "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" are going to be performed tomorrow evening (October 28th) at 7:30pm in Manhattan. Manhattanites on the board, take note! The concert is at St. Peter's Church (Lexington Avenue and 54th Street), and is free to the public. Here's the first opportunity to hear this lost - and really tremendous - score (unless you were at the recording sessions)!

In addition to the premiere of a suite from this score (running about eight minutes), we're also presenting the American premieres of several of his concert works, including his brilliant "Concerto for Stan Getz," with Eddie Daniels taking the tenor saxophone solo.

Live performances of unused film scores are something of an anomaly - and as Sir Richard's last work for feature films, it really occupies a special place in his oeuvre. Come if you can! (And see my recent thread about the concert for more information.)

As you may recall, the score was rejected and Carter Burwell did a new one. There has been no release of R.R.B.'s score yet.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.