• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011 edited
    For forty years, John Williams’ music has enhanced our most intense cinema moments: ET’s bicycle flight, Harry Potter’s wizardry, the thrills of Indiana Jones, plus of course the terror caused by Jaws – truly chilling horror music which kept us out of the water for years. And who could forget the blazing fanfares of Star Wars? In 2012 the Maestro of the film soundtrack turns 80, and we salute him with a concert of his best music. Acclaimed Hollywood conductor Richard Kaufman brings an evening of top music – and a few good stories– to our stage. Bring your light sabre!

Yippie, I will go there, I live 5 minutes away from that concert hall smile

http://www.hkpo.com/eng/doc/Leaflet_201 … ms_204.pdf

Good to see that Kaufman is conducting, seems he has a lot of experience conducting film music.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  1. He seems to be everywhere!

This month Kaufman conducted a live performance of Pirates of the Caribbean to the movie in Krakow!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He seems to be everywhere!

Indeed. He's part of our global popular culture, even though not everyone may know him by name.

From cell phone ringtones to commercials to film scores to concerts to people humming his themes while driving to work. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011
    I think Pawel was referring to Kaufman being everywhere... not John Williams.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Yep!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011
    a very active and fine conductor who is for that reason in great demand.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  3. I didn't find his version of the full Pirates of the Caribbean score particularly compelling, sadly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Nobody could do pirate films like Korngold.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Debney could and did!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Apart from its sense of adventure and 'swashbuckle', I've never understood the parallel between Debney's score to Korngold's music? CutThroat Island sounds nothing like The Sea Hawk!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Apart from its sense of adventure and 'swashbuckle', I've never understood the parallel between Debney's score to Korngold's music? CutThroat Island sounds nothing like The Sea Hawk!

I agree, but it's very much a contemporary version of the same tradition.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I think Sea Hawk is in a special class. I'm not saying that CutThroat isn't a fine score but Korngold's offering is so unique. I heartily recommend the 2CD set from Morgan/Stromberg.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011
    Steven wrote
    Apart from its sense of adventure and 'swashbuckle',

What else is there in a pirate film?

Steven wrote
    I've never understood the parallel between Debney's score to Korngold's music? CutThroat Island sounds nothing like The Sea Hawk!

Debney has expresses his thanks to the Golden Age greats including Korngold and has said numerous times that the Golden Age swashbucklers were are huge influence when writing CutThroat.

Anyway, this is about Tom's statement "nobody could do pirate films like Korngold" I say phewy and state CutThroat as an examples of a score that some hard core Golden Age fans say is better then anything written by Korngold, Newman, Friedhofer, etc.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Korngold all the way Erik
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

There's the style? Korngold's score is camp, whereas Debney's score is played relatively 'straight'. That's what I meant. Both scores, The Sea Hawk and CutThroat Island, are adventerous and swashbuckling -- but they don't actually sound much alike. (I'm not making a point about whether one's better than the other, just pointing out a fact!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

There's the style? Korngold's score is camp, whereas Debney's score is played relatively 'straight'. That's what I meant. Both scores, The Sea Hawk and CutThroat Island, are adventerous and swashbuckling -- but they don't actually sound alike. (I'm not making a point about whether one's better than the other, just pointing out a fact!)
    `

Hmmm...I would say that neither really qualify as 'camp'. Both are pastiches (Korngold of Strauss/Wagner, Debney of Korngold et.al.), but both very much have their own identity. Korngold doesn't really sound like Wagner, no more than Debney sound like Korngold. But they've evolved from the same tradition.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Korngold's score, to me, is camp in the sense that it mirrors on screen actions far more than most modern scores do, and does it in such an apologetically old fashioned way (which is no bad thing). Camp is not necessarily a synonym for bad!

I suppose 'campness' and 'old fashioned' are interchangeable in this case. One thing's for sure, if you played Korngold's music in a modern pirate film, like Pirates of the Caribbean or CutThroat Island, it would completely change the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Korngold's score, to me, is camp in the sense that it mirrors on screen actions far more than most modern scores do, and does it in such an apologetically old fashioned way (which is no bad thing). Camp is not necessarily a synonym for bad!

No, not always, but it's usually a tag applied to something retroactively. It certainly wasn't considered 'camp' at the time, merely convention.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No argument here! But I think if you tried that kind of score in a modern film, most audiences would raise an eyebrow or two. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    No argument here! But I think if you tried that kind of score in a modern film, most audiences would raise an eyebrow or two. wink

Absolutely. Unless it was done consciously to create an 'old-fashioned' style, like CAPTAIN WHATHISFACE AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd like to see a pirate film ( a la Blackbeard etc ) based on fact rather than fantasy. A swashbuckling score would be very out of place in such a film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. What books can you recommend about Blackbeard?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What books can you recommend about Blackbeard?

I read one and for the life of me I can't remember the title, it was about other "celebrated" pirates besides Blackbeard. There was also an excellent docu/drama series but again I can't remember the title or the company that produced it shame

Here's the wiki entry...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbeard
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I'd like to see a pirate film ( a la Blackbeard etc ) based on fact rather than fantasy. A swashbuckling score would be very out of place in such a film.

Done in the style of MASTER & COMMANDER?
    I am extremely serious.