• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012
    I am sure that some of you are aware that I run a Composers Challenge on Film Score Monthly. Lately, I have been looking for new material and I was wondering if you could list a recent (after 2000) movie or scenes in particular where the music just didn't seem right or hindered the movie/scene in general (answering every MV RC movie will not be accepted)? But not too recent, because YouTube will block the uploaded clip. Or is there a movie or scene that could do better with more music (some people have listed Mystic River as needing more music to help with the emotional content of the story).

I have various clips from The City of Lost Children, Birth, Twin Peaks - Walk Fire with Me, The Pacific, Hachi: A Dog`s Story, The New World, From the Earth to the Moon, 300 and others.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. Why not ask KK over at Filmtracks what he would do? He seems quite knowledgeable about how to run such a thing. He even got professional composer Alain Mayrand to comment on every one of the 18 entries in his most recent Challenge, and good constructive comments they were! I'm sure he would be glad to offer his council smile

I think 'The New World' would be an interesting choice of clip. Nature and romance tend to bring out the best in composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfBSncUspBk

There's zero score so I'd be interested to hear what some one would come up with if there was original music written for this scene.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Erik Woods wrote

There's zero score so I'd be interested to hear what some one would come up with if there was original music written for this scene.

-Erik-

There's zero score because there shouldn't be score! Music would only detract from the sense of being there (which the POV-ish shots and lack of cutting creates), and the sense that anything could happen at any moment. Music would tell you "here comes a battle," "now it's a battle" and "now the battle's over" and generally manage your expectations for each moment. This is a great example of a sequence in a film that plays perfectly without score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's not the point of this exercise, Adam. I know why there wasn't music used but if you want a scene to score without music then this might fit what Kevin wants to do with his composer challenge.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthoradam
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012
    Right, right. I guess the way I see it, scoring a scene that calls for no music is a futile exercise. If film music is cinematically good, it works for the picture, so adding music where it's not called for cannot be cinematically good. It could still be musically good, but if the goal is to just be musically good, why make it a scoring competition? Might as well have a scoring competition in the abstract.

I like the idea of taking something where the music is wrong and replacing it, though. Can't think of a good example, but that's an interesting angle. Or just take something where the music works, and ask people to replace it. That works too. Jurassic Park?
  2. adam wrote

I like the idea of taking something where the music is wrong and replacing it, though. Can't think of a good example, but that's an interesting angle.

Pirates of the Caribbean springs to mind. Loved the third film's score, but didn't care for the others. seeing somebody else take on a battle or comedic moment from those films might be fun. Possibly the "two jacks" part.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012
    antonioe1778 wrote
    adam wrote

I like the idea of taking something where the music is wrong and replacing it, though. Can't think of a good example, but that's an interesting angle.

Pirates of the Caribbean springs to mind. Loved the third film's score, but didn't care for the others. seeing somebody else take on a battle or comedic moment from those films might be fun. Possibly the "two jacks" part.

The problem is that there is no easy way to take out the music out of the film and leave the dialogue/other sound. If you were to mute the scene, you would miss the dialogue (and it wouldn't really matter how the score fits the film, it would be more like "write the best tune and so what if it's over the top").
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That's an excellent challenge! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

At 1:35 into that vid I think this theme would work wonders.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lol
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I lol'ed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe. You can actually see the result if you play the videos side by side. It works surprisingly well.

Peter cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

At 1:35 into that vid I think this theme would work wonders.

Peter punk

biggrin Brilliant! applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012