• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
    Erik's post over at http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … er/#Item_7 linking a youtube scene of Children of Men was very useful to me, for some of my lessons over at the college where i work, so i kindly ask you:

What other similarly-zero scored scenes can you think of? And even better if such youtube links exist, but without meaning that this should be a strict factor or anything smile

A car chase in FASTER left an impression to me this year i remember, with the absence of music...

Thank you very much in advance.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012 edited
    The Speeder Bike Chase from Return of the Jedi. If this scene was in the prequels it would have been scored with wall to wall music. I love how Williams' score ends the moment Hans flips the speeder bike pilot over his shoulder... then it's the visuals, sound design and sound editing's turn to take over!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. "The Birds".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Erik, keep em coming!

The Birds, you mean the entire movie? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, the entire movie.

Likewise, that excellent Al Pacino vehicle Dog Day Afternoon.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Must be one of the 1 in two billion who's not seen it. ;-)

I'm about to head off, bit I'll post more. In the mean time most, if not all, of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" episode "The Body", has no score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012
    There are so many, I wouldn't know where to start. It's like asking for good examples of scenes with music in them.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. The truck car chase in The Dark Knight. The track "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" was probably written to underscore it, but eventually not used. I think trying to reinstate the music in context would be a very interesting comparison for classes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If you go outside Hollywood, there are a gazillion examples. Personally, I've always loved Antonioni's absence of non-diegetic music in many of his films (post-L'AVVENTURA) -- one of my favourites is the scene in BLOW UP where David Hemmings walks through the park where he saw the murder the day before. It's a fairly long scene, and under normal circumstances you would expect some sort of suspense music as he returns to the scene of the cirme (what he THINKS is the scene of the crime, anyway). But it's just the rustling of the trees on a greyish day. Fantastic mood, almost therapeutic. And gives the scene a sense of ambivalence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wSvXuSE8Gg
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If I remember correctly the whole and very famous car chase in BULLIT is left unscored.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthoradam
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012 edited
    All the most dramatic scenes in The Godfather. For example, the scene where Michael kills the guy in the restaurant -- the whole thing plays with almost nothing but the sound of the subway cars passing outside. There isn't even any restaurant music. Then, when the scene is over, the score kicks in. It's a great way to use music in general, letting the dramatic scenes play as is and using score transitionally.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8_kWahZWJM

Also, Michael Haneke. No score in any of his films that I'm aware of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    adam wrote
    All the most dramatic scenes in The Godfather. For example, the scene where Michael kills the guy in the restaurant -- the whole thing plays with almost nothing but the sound of the subway cars passing outside. There isn't even any restaurant music. Then, when the scene is over, the score kicks in. It's a great way to use music in general, letting the dramatic scenes play as is and using score transitionally.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8_kWahZWJM

Also, Michael Haneke. No score in any of his films that I'm aware of.

True.

Demetris, in the style of Haneke, there's also DOGTOOTH from your very own country. No music there either, and it certainly adds to the realistic creepiness of that film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank you everyone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012
    This input of yours has been incredibly helpful, i need action-zero scored scenes....any ideas? The dog chasing cars from the dark knight scene or that long attack in the forest in children of men were brilliant suggestions so far.....thanksl!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Demetris wrote
    This input of yours has been incredibly helpful, i need action-zero scored scenes....any ideas? The dog chasing cars from the dark knight scene or that long attack in the forest in children of men were brilliant suggestions so far.....thanksl!

the ending of aliens before the airlock?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The fight between Grant and Bond in the train in From Russia With Love.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The landing scene at Omaha beach in Saving Private Ryan.

The car chase scene in San Francisco in Bullitt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote
    The fight between Grant and Bond in the train in From Russia With Love.

Possibly the best Bond fight ever, brutal and realistic, Shaw just oozes simmering controlled menace with both combatants very well matched.

I'm seriously bored by the Bourne style super-fast edited punch ups that pervades nearly every action film nowadays.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KevinSmith wrote
    Demetris wrote

the ending of aliens before the airlock?

the first Aliens?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You rule guys! Thanks, keep em coming!
  4. Aliens is the second movie. The first one was called just Alien.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shame Right.....thanks!
  5. An older film...the whole air attack sequence in Tora! Tora! Tora! But I can't find any footage of the actual scenes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Oh yes, the brilliance of having that attack unscored!
  7. In some ways though I would love to hear what Goldsmith would have written - if he thought it had been appropriate (I assume that it was his decision?)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't know? I'm presuming it says nothing in the booklet? Also, is it my imagination or does it seem to be the "common" thing to do in having battle scenes unscored in war movies that involve real Historical events?

The opposite would be Sir William Walton/Malcolm Arnold's staggering piece 'Battle In The Air' in THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN where it is only images and music relaying the excitement and horror of air battle.
  8. Martijn wrote
    Likewise, that excellent Al Pacino vehicle Dog Day Afternoon.

Didn't that have music, I don't recall? I was too absorbed by what's going on to notice.

And practically every scene of Cast Away. Zemeckis and Hanks do what is needed without the use of any music. But when Alan unleashes his theme (only 4 minutes), it sure makes an impact.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. just watched Deep Impact, you can add another scene to your list

- the destruction scene at the end, zero music

Good film too, I know not everyone likes it, but I cried a lot at the end. 7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    just watched Deep Impact, you can add another scene to your list

- the destruction scene at the end, zero music

Good film too, I know not everyone likes it, but I cried a lot at the end. 7 out of 10

I like the film, far FAR better that the stoopid ( though watchable ) Armageddon and with some deeply moving moments, the scene where Ed Harris reads Moby Dick to the blinded astronaut and the reporter hugs her estranged dad as the sea empties ready for the giant tsunami never fail to move me.
  10. That's actually Robert Duvall not Ed Harris.