• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Erik, my friend, you know this is bollocks smile :p you will come Around eventually, realizing it is actually a five star modern score and for today's standards. It is amazing and you do not need to compare it with inferior scores in order to realize its value smile glad you Are enjoying it !

5 stars? I nearly spat out my coffee! This coming from a guy who thinks Christopher Lennertz's output is just meh. If Spider Man is 5 stars then John Carter and There Be Dragons are 1450 star scores. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Today I have a Nolan Batman day so I intend to listen to the whole trilogy, to make a comparison of the development.

Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - Batman Begins

I like that score, great soundscape and an impeccable stylistic connection between the two composers.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012
    NP : THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Quality cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah

NP: Super Atragon: Metal Pulse Edition - Masamichi Amano

Another Erik Woods score. Huge orchestral music!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight

The Joker material is great. JNH's theme for Harvey Dent is fine and dandy, but actually (as with the end of the movie musically - there is Hans' fault here I think) ruins the movie with being very much a Captain Obvious (we get it, he's a lawyer, he's fighting for order, so he's Americana, but it's just plain redundant!).

Like a Dog Chasing Cars is an action highlight of Hans Zimmer's career in last 10 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote
    yeah

punk

-Erik-

yeah

Now THAT is a five star score... punk

BTW Erik, I don't know if your download counts 19 or 20 tracks, but where I got it from it was only 19 tracks. I think it's track 9 or 10 that's missing, because the official album counts 20 tracks.

And I'm still on the lookout to buy this one, but it's out of print everywhere.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight

The Joker material is great. JNH's theme for Harvey Dent is fine and dandy, but actually (as with the end of the movie musically - there is Hans' fault here I think) ruins the movie with being very much a Captain Obvious (we get it, he's a lawyer, he's fighting for order, so he's Americana, but it's just plain redundant!).

This is what I don't understand. Should composers play against the character traits? I'd rather have Captain Obvious over Captain Bland any day.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    BTW Erik, I don't know if your download counts 19 or 20 tracks, but where I got it from it was only 19 tracks. I think it's track 9 or 10 that's missing, because the official album counts 20 tracks.

And I'm still on the lookout to buy this one, but it's out of print everywhere.

The CD-r I have is 20 tracks. BTW, I think it was you who recommended the score to me. beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Looks like you're all set. cool

Shame a trilogy wasn't made of this great material.

Edit: Nope it was Atham, our friend from Down Under, who posted a very eye-catching post about it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ah. I can never keep track! With that... thanks Atham!

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight

This is what I don't understand. Should composers play against the character traits? I'd rather have Captain Obvious over Captain Bland any day.

-Erik-

It's not a problem with the theme itself as much as with the spotting. Most of the JNH Dent material is just there not adding anything to the movie itself. Hans' Joker material works just better, as a sort of an emergency call.

That's not present with the music for Dent.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

Williams Herrmannesque score is one of his best, a truly deserving 5/5 score, I adore this deliciously dark score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote

punk

-Erik-

Wow. Amano goes all James Newton Howard Outbreak in "Fortress Bimarna, Spotted" doesn't he?

-Erik-
  4. Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises

Including the bonus tracks (some of them at least).

I still think it's the best album of the three. Mind If I Cut In? is one of the best Zimmer themes since maybe 160 BPM, excluding Inception.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

punk

-Erik-

Wow. Amano goes all James Newton Howard Outbreak in "Fortress Bimarna, Spotted" doesn't he?

-Erik-

I was just googling for a shop that sells this one. My search came up with zippo! sad

But I found this post on the message board from soundtrackcollector (not a site I'm familiar with)

If you like big orchestral music, I suggest Giant Robo by Masamichi Amano, great stuff (The Aurora is quite good too, and Super Atragon is also quite impressive, all big orchestra & choral scores, in the same vein as his works for the Battle Royale movies).

I'm so going to check out these scores. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I only have BATTLE ROYALE which I like a lot, I really must check out more of Amano's works.

anyways...

NP : JAWS 2 - John Williams

Love this score! I'm on a Williams kick right now, this CD has almost finished and I'm already fancying a dose of LOST WORLD cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    dizzy cool beer

And...

NP : JURASSIC PARK : THE LOST WORLD - John Williams

As much as I love the original I enjoy this one more, more action tracks, just dynamite! love
  6. I also tend to prefer personally The Lost World. My favourite cues are The Hunt and Rescuing Sarah. Great drums on the latter one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    "Visitor in San Diego" is currently my second most played cue in my collection!

-Erik-
  7. Jurassic Park is the better music on all accounts, except the action music, but Lost World is the better album. I hate the way the Jurassic Park album is sequenced (two thematic tracks divided by a rather dark ambient cue, ewww)
  8. After 3 hours of the Hans Zimmer world of Gotham I need something else. And my choice is:

John Scott - Man on Fire

First listen to this score. I saw the movie quite recently. I am quite a fan of the Tony Scott remake (and the Harry Gregson-Williams score), but it was good in its own ways (though I prefer the more extreme version of the same story, psychological choices the writers made, in the remake; I guess I am a rare case here).

John Scott's score has a really amazing theme. It was good in the movie, but the theme is just impeccable. It wasn't until a few years that I discovered Scott (by the courtesy of my friend who recommended me Antony and Cleopatra and King Kong Lives). I am not a huge fan of Greystoke though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just created a personal The Amazing Spider-Man suite (9:32) to highlight the numerous times Horner uses his fantastic main theme. shocked I'm going to pat myself on the back now but this suite makes the score sound like the greatest film score ever written! WOW!

I'll get it uploaded for the rest of you to hear in a few days!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jurassic Park is the better music on all accounts, except the action music, but Lost World is the better album. I hate the way the Jurassic Park album is sequenced (two thematic tracks divided by a rather dark ambient cue, ewww)

It is a really badly-produced album. What were they thinking!?
  9. The worst album of a best score ever made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I hate the way the Jurassic Park album is sequenced (two thematic tracks divided by a rather dark ambient cue, ewww)

I agree. It is poorly produced!

-Erik-
  10. Timmer wrote
    ^
    dizzy cool beer

And...

NP : JURASSIC PARK : THE LOST WORLD - John Williams

As much as I love the original I enjoy this one more, more action tracks, just dynamite! love

Holy shit yes, The Lost World is a major butt-kicking and ass-whipping action score like only Williams does them.

Let's hope he'll be on board for JP 4, they better not wait too long.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I also tend to prefer personally The Lost World. My favourite cues are The Hunt and Rescuing Sarah. Great drums on the latter one.

Absolutely! I'd also add ( as Erik mentioned ) Visitor In San Diego. Stegosaurus also has the awe factor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Brainstorm - James Horner

If you don't own this and love it then I'm sorry, you cannot be considered civilised.