• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    A new release by Chandos Movies of two very talented composers. Tim is likely familiar with some of their work.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    I'll beat Timmer here to the post. smile

The 1958 film ICE COLD IN ALEX was scorerd by Leighton Lucas ; I own a region 2 DVD of this film.

While the bulk of the score after the main title credit sequence is not too memorable, I recall quite vividly how similar STAR WARS by John Williams sounds to the main title credit music by Lucas.

The musical model for both these themes was no doubt "The Planets" by Gustav Holst, but, even so, it is striking when watching ICE COLD IN ALEX for the first time and thinking to oneself "Hey, that sounds like STAR WARS" because, even though this British war film was made about 20 years earlier, the fame of STAR WARS makes the Williams score the 'standard' by which many other scores are assessed.

Leighton Lucas also scored the Hitchcock film STAGE FRIGHT, but very little attention is afforded this because discussions of Hitchcock film music always seem to revolve around Bernard Herrmann.

There's definitely more by Lucas to check out.

Perhaps another member can comment on Arthur Benjamin?
  1. Cobweb wrote
    Leighton Lucas also scored the Hitchcock film STAGE FRIGHT, but very little attention is afforded this because discussions of Hitchcock film music always seem to revolve around Bernard Herrmann.

For a wider discussion on music composed for Hitchcock films (over and above just music composed by Herrmann) I recommend Jack Sullivan's book, "Hitchcock's Music".

A very informative book which features 2-3 pages on Lucas' score to Stage Fright.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012 edited
    Regarding Benjamin, I'm afraid I'm only familiar with the "Storm Cloud Cantata" from THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.

The other one I've heard of -- vaguely -- by name, but that's about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    Regarding Benjamin, I'm afraid I'm only familiar with the "Storm Cloud Cantata" from THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.

The other one I've heard of -- vaguely -- by name, but that's about it.

By far his most recognizable piece of music. The works by Lucas include Target for Tonight, This is York, Dam Busters, Portrait of Clare, and Yangtse Incident. I'm not familiar with any of these films.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DAM BUSTERS...isn't that by someone named Eric Coates, if memory serves?! Or are there several versions?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    according to chandos it's lucas
  2. Coates submitted the previously-written march for the film. And Lucas composed the score based around the theme - I think.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I will be buying this CD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Here's a section from the booklet regarding The Dam Busters:

...The apocryphal story is that Eric Coates was approached by the film company to write the score, but told by his agent, Teddy Holmes, that film scores were not his thing. However, one day at the home of Coates, Holmes heard him start to play something on the piano – the slow tune of what would become the March – after which he went back to the film company and proclaimed that Coates would write the Theme, but at some cost! Whether the story is true or not, Coates’s March The Dam Busters has proved one of the most memorable film themes of all time. Only the slow tune in the middle of the concert march actually appears in the film. (Coates’s sole recording of the work curiously places the material in a different order to that of the printed, and oft recorded, version of the score.) The rest of the film score was composed by Lucas, who produced his own main theme, one which seems to play hide and seek with Coates’s throughout the film, both vying for supremacy...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the info, Alan!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    Does anyone on the board have Arthur Benjamin's Jamaican Rumba in a digital file so that I might listen to it? I understand it is somewhat famous but I've never heard it but would like to.
    Tom
  4. Sorry Tom. Can't help you with this request. The new Chandos release is my first experience of either composer.

I was not too taken with the music on my first listen - may be more of a slow burner this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    sdtom wrote
    Does anyone on the board have Arthur Benjamin's Jamaican Rumba in a digital file so that I might listen to it? I understand it is somewhat famous but I've never heard it but would like to.
    Tom

I found this version by Mantovani on Youtube Tom...

JAMAICAN RUMBA

After a few seconds I immediately recognised it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/f … and-lucas/

A review of the new Chandos release.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Did you listen to Jamaican Rumba Tom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ........and survived? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.