• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm shocked that Jack Wall hasn't scored any Hollywood features. His Myst III: Exile theme and stuff from Jade Empire is amazing! He's my biggest inspiration. Hollywood scores by Jack Wall would be a nice change from Hans Zimmer - who gets boring after awhile! Check out my piano renditions of stuff by Jack Wall:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … ature=plcp

Samantha
    www.samanthafoster.net
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    Check out his score for Wrath Unleashed.
    Mindblowingly epic!

(Jade Empire is very good too!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I recommend 'Mass Effect' and its sequel if you're into the Blade Runner blended with the Tron Legacy sound.

I've been looking for Wrath Unleashed for a while now and I've been hearing good things about it.

And if Martijn says it's epic I will take his word for it. shocked

He's also one of the creators and the conductor of Video Games Live, a very popular series of concerts focusing on videogame stuff. I have the blu-ray and it's as awesome as any professional concert!

Myst III: Exile is a worthwhile score relying on atmospheric cues but with a brilliant main theme. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    As for the topic's title: same goes for Jeremy Soule!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Heck, any of these game composers - Inon Zur, Christopher Tin, Gerard Marino - could do a Hollywood film score. Some composers make the cross-over from games to film - like Giacchino. Film composers also crossover and do games - like Brian Tyler did MW3 and Lego Universe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    For what I have heard, composing for games is very different than for movies. A movie are moving images that needs music fitting those images. An interactive game is something different and apparently require different skills.

A good gaming composer does not make you a good movie composer.

Just my 2 cents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    I gather you mean "a good gaming composer does not make a good MOVIE composer", Caliburn?

Otherwise I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Mass Effect´s music always reminds me of Babylon 5, which is certainly not a bad memory to evoke.

If you like a slightly more dense sound fabric, listen to Michael McCann´s Deus Ex - Human Revolution score. It will give you goosebumps all along the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Martijn wrote
    I gather you mean "a good gaming composer does not make a good MOVIE composer", Caliburn?

Yes I meant that, fixed the typo. And the other way around of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, agree.
    It's not so easy to make that step (in either direction).

Giacchino may well be the one success story so far (and even there I still don't think that -with the possible exception of the brilliant The Incredibles pastiche- he has composed anything as overall exciting for film or TV as he has for games!)
  5. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    If you like a slightly more dense sound fabric, listen to Michael McCann´s Deus Ex - Human Revolution score. It will give you goosebumps all along the way.

It's VERY ambient and not thematic, which isn't my cup of tea but I made a suite ending with the Icarus cue, truly a fantastic piece of work, which needs to be heard along with the stylish visuals in this awesome trailer! cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

It's VERY ambient and not thematic, which isn't my cup of tea but I made a suite ending with the Icarus cue, truly a fantastic piece of work, which needs to be heard along with the stylish visuals in this awesome trailer! cool

ah yes, that is one goddamn great trailer punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. With these composers - it's probably more about the people you know. Brian Tyler, Hans Zimmer, Giacchino probably know people high up at the movie studios. Jack Wall knows the right people in the gaming world.