• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Russia House is one of my all-time favourite scores and I am proud to own an original copy of it. But I would give the 1990 nod to Dances with Wolves.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. RUSSIA HOUSE is a stunner, I agree. But Barry had the edge for me that year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012
    For 1991 I would also throw Robin Hood/Kamen into the mix. Pretty darn good!!!
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think Russia House is one of Goldsmith's last great "nobody else would have scored this film this way" efforts (maybe Basic Instinct is the only later one) - but Dances With Wolves is so damn good (and one of two scores that turned me into the film score geek I became) I'd put it not just as the best score of 1990, but the best of all scores written from 1990 onwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love the DANCES WITH WOLVES Dunbar theme, but the rest of the score doesn't do much for me. THE RUSSIA HOUSE I've never really cared about. For 1990, I consider SCISSORHANDS in a league of its own, way before any other score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just looked at a film list on wiki and found that there were 18 scores I would choose before I got to Edward Scissorhands, I think it's because I don't like the choral work in it, in fact Elfman's choral work in general does little for me except for a few exceptions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I sense a new topic coming on...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I just looked at a film list on wiki and found that there were 18 scores I would choose before I got to Edward Scissorhands, I think it's because I don't like the choral work in it, in fact Elfman's choral work in general does little for me except for a few exceptions.

That's because you're weird. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Happily so!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited
    sdtom wrote
    For 1991 I would also throw Robin Hood/Kamen into the mix. Pretty darn good!!!

It would be among mine for that year. I would have been around three years old at the time. Batman and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves were what first scores that got me into film music (when I was about 4). Hook would win hands down though for 1991. My all time favorite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012
    Hook was good too!
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    sdtom wrote
    Hook was good too!
    Tom smile

Sorry about that. I meant hands down for me. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited
    I always thought 1991 was one of the 90's weaker years, there were a lot of very good scores but nothing that stood out as great, it's obviously just me but I don't hear great in HOOK and it's certainly not up there with John Williams truly great scores of which there are a substantial few, my choice for 1991 was Georges Delerue's BLACK ROBE but at the toss of a coin it could easily be something else on another day, Silence of The Lambs, Backdraft even JW's JFK.

As a film score I'd say TERMINATOR 2 : JUDGEMENT DAY was actually the best film score that year.
  3. I am not a huge fan of Hook myself. My personal favourite is probably Backdraft,
  4. Timmer, I have rarely heard a score as powerful in a film as Preisner's DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE. smile That alone makes 1991 worth having lived through.

I also don't really get HOOK. It has some fantastic themes, and best parts of the original album are as good as any Williams, but they're attached to images and characters that cheapen the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What, are we going through the 90's year by year now....a new version of Alan's thread?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer, I have rarely heard a score as powerful in a film as Preisner's DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE. smile That alone makes 1991 worth having lived through.

I also don't really get HOOK. It has some fantastic themes, and best parts of the original album are as good as any Williams, but they're attached to images and characters that cheapen the music.

VERONIQUE is a superb score but I haven't seen the film.
  5. I haven't seen the movie yet either, but God knows I planned on that long time ago.
  6. Ah, definitely a film to see. A film that best attempts to depict what the 'soul' is, in my opinion.
  7. Yeah, I've heard that it was once describe as a "metaphysical thriller."
  8. Metaphysical drama maybe? Not quite a thriller, although there's a couple of unsettling elements.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I chose to include two titles per year, which was still very, very though.

1990 Philippe Eidel & Toshi Tsuchitori - The Mahabharata / Eleni Karaindrou - L'Africana
    1991 Eleni Karaindrou - To Meteoro Vima Tou Pelargou / Zbigniew Preisner - La Double Vie de Veronique
    1992 Vincent van Warmerdam – De Noorderlingen / Jerry Goldsmith – Basic Instinct
    1993 Wojciech Kilar - König der Letzten Tage ( / Pino Donaggio - Dove Siete? Io Sono Qui
    1994 Goran Bregović - La Reine Margot / Zbigniew Preisner - Kouarteto Se 4 Kiniseis
    1995 Kenji Kawai - Kôkaku Kidôtai / Jan A.P. Kaczmarek - Total Eclipse
    1996 Wojciech Kilar - The Portrait of a Lady / Bruno Coulais - Microcosmos: Le Peuple de L'herbe
    1997 Zbigniew Preisner - Mouvements du Désir / Biosphere - Insomnia
    1998 Eleni Karaindrou - Mia Aioniotita Kai Mia Mera / Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line
    1999 Wojciech Kilar - The Ninth Gate / Krzesimir Debski - Ogniem I Mieczem
    2000 Shigeru Umebayashi / Michael Galasso - Fa Yeung Nin Wa / Peter Lundback - Före Stormen
    2001 Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson - Englar Alheimsins / James Horner - A Beautiful Mind
    2002 Kenji Kawai - Avalon / Alberto Iglesias - The Dancer Upstairs
    2003 Andrey Dergatchev Vozvrashcheniye / A.R. Rahman - Tian Di Ying Xiong
    2004 Slivan - Bin-jip / Kenji Kawai - Kôkaku Kidôtai 2: Inosensu
    2005 Andrey Sigle - Solntse / Ryuichi Sakamoto - Tony Takitani
    2006 Armand Amar - Bab'Aziz / Aleš Březina - Obsluhoval Jsem Anglického Krále
    2007 Johan Söderqvist - Efter Brylluppet / Niki Reiser - Liebesleben
    2008 Johan Söderqvist - Låt den Rätte Komma In / Joe Hisaishi - Okuribito
    2009 Armand Amar - Home / Eleni Karaindrou - Trilogia II: I Skoni tou Hronou
    2010 Johan Söderqvist - Kongen av Bastøy / Fernando Velázquez - El Mal Ajeno
    2011 Magnus Jarlbo - Ballroom Dancer / Pascal Gaigne - Matka Edeniin
  9. That's the spirit! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hi Joep! wave
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012
    I think it's okay to go through year by year as it really doesn't affect Alan's personal choices. I would love to hear the Double Life of Veronique if someone wants to send one to me. Then I can properly judge. I do like Pawel's choice of Backdraft also, one of the few Zimmer the old golden ears like. I like the idea that we've all compiled lists and are sort of voting/discussing. I'll make a comment tomorrow about 1992.
    Tom
  10. sdtom wrote
    I think it's okay to go through year by year as it really doesn't affect Alan's personal choices.

Yes, it is fine to do this. I don't have a monopoly on threads with dates in the title! wink

The only thing is that I have decided to stay out of these lists.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Joep, there's about 40 on your list I could ask about -- impressive for a 20 year list -- but I am curious about Preisner's Quartet. What is this one life compared to other Preisner scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Joep, as a fellow Johan Söderqvist fan, I'm surprised you didn't pick TROUBLED WATER (DE USYNLIGE) for 2007, which is not only one of the best Norwegian films of the decade, but also one of the best scores. Beautiful melancholy combined with childlike innocence, much like the dark subject matter of the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Basic Instinct was the perfect theme for the film; Goldsmith nailed it with one hammer swing. However, some of you also know 1992 was the year that the wonderful "Music from the Movies" the films of Bernard Herrmann was also released as a short and nominated in that category for an Oscar. A wonderful film. I like Dracula and also the Isham score and JFK but that haunting theme has got to get my nod.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yay! A list topic! sleep
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn