• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012
    It was time for me to let my LP collection go as it was being stored at my sister's and she needs to sell her house and move on with another phase of her life. I rarely listened to anything anymore and it would cost $1200 per year to store as there is no way that it would fit in my apartment. Somehow I'm going to try and find room for the 900 books on music and photography that I have.
    Thomas sad
    listen to more classical music!
  1. sdtom wrote
    It was time for me to let my LP collection go as it was being stored at my sister's and she needs to sell her house and move on with another phase of her life. I rarely listened to anything anymore and it would cost $1200 per year to store as there is no way that it would fit in my apartment. Somehow I'm going to try and find room for the 900 books on music and photography that I have.
    Thomas sad

I am sure that many of them have some special memories for you and it will be difficult to part with them I imagine. Even though you have not had them to hand you will at least have known that they were still yours.

Can you donate them to somewhere? Maybe you can have a selection transferred to digital format so that you can at least keep the music?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The digital transfer process has already taken place along with the fact that much of the material has already been converted awhile ago. I'm getting a fair price for them ($2000) and I still have a few thousand CD's to listen to.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Man... I wish we lived closer because I would have taken care of them for you!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I wish we did too! Shipping close to a ton of material is expensive especially to Canada which is why I didn't even think you'd have an interest.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh... I wouldn't do that to you... but I can just imagine what gems you have in that collection of yours. You have shared a few excellent vinyl only releases with me over the years (the Polydor Rozsa re-recordings are some of my most treasured albums) and it would have been quite an experience raiding your collection to see and hear what else I might be missing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012
    I'm going to save a few for you Erik but you'll have to pay for shipping.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012 edited
    Ahhhh, understandable....but what a shame!
    I do so love vinyl, and I still try and pick up records where and when I can (although to be honest I do limit myself to those recordings that hold special meaning to me in one way or another).

I honestly couldn't see myself completely without vinyl at any point, which is a little strange considering I had no problem at all dropping reel tapes and cassette tapes. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012
    sdtom wrote
    I'm going to save a few for you Erik but you'll have to pay for shipping.
    Tom

Interesting. Which ones are you saving?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As it is I'm having to build two more bookcases, making 7 total for the CD's. I'll never run out of material to listen to.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'd be willing to send you a few too Martijn if you paid for the shipping.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Happy to, Tom. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012 edited
    BTW, I thought this article/video might interest you all.

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/video/docume … ecords.htm

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, just saw it. smile What a great character.
  2. Thanks for sharing Erik. A great little film. There must be a Pixar short in there somewhere?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause There was something niggling at the back of my brain watching the portrait. Something to do with cinematic history or quality or whatever. The documentary just cried out for a cinema related remark or connection. But I just couldn't put my finger on it.
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There must be a Pixar short in there somewhere?

...and that was exactly it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, he does have an uncanny resemblance to Geri from Pixar's short film, Geri's Game.

-Erik-
  3. That's who I immediately thought of when I first saw him.
  4. Have you thought of posting an FSM thread in the trading subsection, letting people ask for something to see if you have it, and buy it off you?

If I named a couple titles, would you readily know if you had them (and condition)?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    you can certainly ask me Jason and I'll try to answer.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't have the energy anymore to deal with selling vinyl a little at a time, packing them up and mailing them. When your health fails your perspective on life changes.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I don't have the energy anymore to deal with selling vinyl a little at a time, packing them up and mailing them. When your health fails your perspective on life changes.
    Tom

I can attest to that.

Still, I don't think I'll be able to sell my CD's in one bulk.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012
    I couldn't sell my CD's either but the LP's have become mostly duplicate material now so the decision was easier. Health is truly important as I'm beginning to find out oh so well.
    Tom
  5. I forgot about the health issues thread. Sorry.

I can't recall the name of the other, but one was:

"Zachariah" (Jimmie Haskell, some songs, too; not issued on CD, LP only)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012
    Never bought it