• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    Recently there has been some talk about mono recordings on another forum. It encouraged me to do what I suggested below.
    Got my copy of the new Charade release that came from the film itself and not the re-recording that Mancini did with his material. I found that the expensive headphones we're woefully inadequate and did no justice to the material. I used a 'Y' adapter on my amp and ran the sound through one speaker and got much better results although I suspect an older speaker with lower dynamic range would have produced even better results. I can understand why Mancini did what he did with his releases.

Does my theory make sense?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I don't really understand what you mean by "woefully inadequate" but I can certainly understand why your high-end system would pick up any limitations in the recording. At the extremes, listening to something like the Brigham Young Film Music Archives' release of Max Steiner's original tracks for the 1935 film She is awful on headphones: all the flaws in the recording are there to hear. (Didn't composers in those days limit the types of instruments they used for recordings because they knew that certain frequencies of sound just did not record well?)

Has the label "enhanced" the original tracks in any way that you may be picking up with your system? But it makes sense to just use one speaker for playback. In theory though it should not matter having the same sound going through both speakers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    The sound was terrible is what I meant when I said "woefully inadequate" and there is nothing wrong with my system. My $10 ear buds sounded better! I'm going to keep my eye out for an older speaker and I think this will further improve the quality. My first real system was a heath kit mono amp and a sweet sixteen speaker both made with my father's help. The sweet sixteen was 16 five inch speakers in a single enclosure that produced really good sound. There is nothing wrong with the Intrada recording. It mastered to CD quite nicely and I'm quite happy with the job that Fake did at Intrada. I'm just looking for ways to improve the listening experience.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!