• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    Silent Hill 2

First one was surprisingly good and overlooked, imo.

Can't wait to see the sequel as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b4iOhWs … ure=relmfu
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Silent Hill was a great videogame adaptation, at least for the first hour of the movie (the exploration of the town and the descent into hell). But the storyline in the second part was completely made up and didn't have anything to do with the games. I still like the film though, it's the only videogame turned film that's pretty true to the source. The badass but utterly horrifying Pyramid Head was taken from the second game in case you didn't know. The look and atmosphere is very well done because the games are very disturbing and creepy as hell and the film managed to do the same.

Silent Hill 2 looks to tell the story of the third game in the series actually.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    I'll admit, I'm a bit of a sucker for video game films...even when they're awful. And they usually are! Silent Hill is one of the better ones, for the reasons that DreamTheater stated...it's a fantastic adaptation of the atmosphere and themes of the game, but it tells it's own story. And that's definitely not a bad thing. How can you really tell in 90 minutes a story that develops over dozens of hours of gameplay? But Silent Hill, even in the parts that had nothing to do with the games, still FELT like one of the games, and I dug that. Compare that to, say, the Resident Evil movies. The first was a high-paced action film. The games are pretty minimal on the action, with a lot more running away and being out of ammo (at least, the first few games were). So it didn't FEEL like RE at all.

I've been looking forward to this one for quite some time!

(of course what I REALLY want is a Fatal Frame film...I like those games far more than Silent Hill)
  2. Yeah, I somewhat like Resident Evil's adaptation (the first film). At least it has zombies and that 'licker' creature from RE2. It's good fun.

Anyone here saw Doom? That one is absolutely atrocious and completely different from what the games did in terms of visuals and characters / storyline. It honestly didn't feel related to Doom at all. The only good part is the five or so minutes in first person perspective.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Of course what I really want to see happen is a Halo film, which remains true to the games. There's a deep mythology created for those games that could translate very well to the big screen, if being handled by screenwriters who have actually played every game and understand every little detail of what Halo is about.

Fat chance that will happen... Hollywood will most likely dumb it down. sad
  4. I just hope they deliver Uncharted the way it needs to be delivered, just shoot the first and the second video game, and follow the entire story, because those 2 games have 100% Hollywood quality scripts, full of humor, epic action, character development and even horror (especially the first), if that gets a Silent Hill treatment (meaning adaptation true to the source), they have a blockbuster on their hands
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let's also think about operating systems and hardware that have been turned into films. What about Gordon Willis's only film as director, Windows? Featuring a very nice score by Morricone. And of course there's Mac and Me.
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    I do recall the Doom movie...a fantastically awful movie. Good for a late night with friends and drinks! And, of course, anything Uwe Boll gets his hands on. I particularly feel bad for the Alone In The Dark film. You can tell at the core of it, there was a pretty decent idea. However, it went through several different writers, dumbing down the plot, adding car chases (!?!?), etc, etc. The direct to DVD sequel, while far from a good movie, is a thousand times more watchable.

Not sure how a Halo movie would turn out (mostly because I'm not an fps guy, so I don't know much about the mythology of the game). I seem to recall that some of the work in District 9 grew out of intial ideas from a Halo movie. Uncharted could absolutely rock. Doubly so if they could get Nathan Fillion to play Drake.

I actually do enjoy the Resident Evil movies too, but you do need to expect something other than the game when watching. Just take them for what they are (horror-themed action films). Oddly, my favorite was the third, which has possibly the LEAST to do with the games. Possibly becasue Russell Mulcahy is a better director than Paul W.S. Anderson, though Anderson's Mortal Kombat, prior to Silent Hill held the gold star for game adaptations.
  5. Southall wrote
    Let's also think about operating systems and hardware that have been turned into films. What about Gordon Willis's only film as director, Windows? Featuring a very nice score by Morricone. And of course there's Mac and Me.

Windows 7 was a pretty good film, I especially liked the new character sets and succesful attempts to eliminate the blue screen visual effects from the previous films that popped up from time to time. The main theme of the soundtrack was hit and miss though, and it was over before it even begun.

Soon to be released on a computer screen near you: the sequel. Will it be more of the same or not plot-wise?
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I just hope they deliver Uncharted the way it needs to be delivered, just shoot the first and the second video game, and follow the entire story, because those 2 games have 100% Hollywood quality scripts, full of humor, epic action, character development and even horror (especially the first), if that gets a Silent Hill treatment (meaning adaptation true to the source), they have a blockbuster on their hands

Hell yes! That would make for fantastic movie-making. Imagine those flesh and blood characters on the big screen. If they shoot the exciting train sequence they would have a certified hit on their hands. punk
  7. JoshL wrote
    Not sure how a Halo movie would turn out (mostly because I'm not an fps guy, so I don't know much about the mythology of the game). I seem to recall that some of the work in District 9 grew out of intial ideas from a Halo movie. Uncharted could absolutely rock. Doubly so if they could get Nathan Fillion to play Drake.

Indeed, Neil Blompkamp was considered to do the Halo movie, but somehow they didn't have any trust in the director whatsoever, so he made a movie that felt a bit like Halo, namely District 9. And the rest is history (my god, what a terrific movie that is)

And yes, many people said Nathan Fillion not only looks like Drake, but also his humor could very well bring Drake to life. Hopefully, they listen to the fans this time
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I just hope they deliver Uncharted the way it needs to be delivered, just shoot the first and the second video game, and follow the entire story, because those 2 games have 100% Hollywood quality scripts, full of humor, epic action, character development and even horror (especially the first), if that gets a Silent Hill treatment (meaning adaptation true to the source), they have a blockbuster on their hands

Hell yes! That would make for fantastic movie-making. Imagine those flesh and blood characters on the big screen. If they shoot the exciting train sequence they would have a certified hit on their hands. punk

shoot the entire Uncharted 2 game, it's so bloody fantastic (I'm playing it right now you see wink )
  9. JoshL wrote
    I do recall the Doom movie...a fantastically awful movie. Good for a late night with friends and drinks! And, of course, anything Uwe Boll gets his hands on. I particularly feel bad for the Alone In The Dark film. You can tell at the core of it, there was a pretty decent idea. However, it went through several different writers, dumbing down the plot, adding car chases (!?!?), etc, etc. The direct to DVD sequel, while far from a good movie, is a thousand times more watchable.

Uwe Boll movies. rolleyes crazy

How this guy ever got the money together to make the crap he has made, is beyond me... vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    Shame he dragged Clint Mansell with him back then.
  10. Uwe Boll didn't direct Doom, so Clint Mansell didn't score any movie by Boll, but yeah, Doom was God-awful.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This trailer is very smart and movie looks very interesting too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7LWCKMFKk8
  11. Demetris wrote

said the same about this trailer, it looks quite good (hoping it's better than the last installments)
    the Tron music helps of course too wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

These films are shite but very entertaining shite.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well this last one seems to have gone an upgrade ? In all levels. And I agree that the amazing daft punk music from tron helps it a lot. Sadly, the resident evil ranchise so far has suffered from hideous scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    I honestly didn't notice a single one of them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Timmer wrote
    I honestly didn't notice a single one of them.

I always remembered the main theme of Marilyn Manson for the first, which was quite effective

for the rest, the orchestral score of the second by Danna is quite good
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, I'd forgotten Danna did one of them, it had some good moments as I ( vaguely ) remember.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I want to see this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIIAeG4STxE
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    haha! biggrin