• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. For Immediate Release
    August 8, 2012

COMING SOON FROM LA-LA LAND RECORDS
    STAR TREK®: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION

Burbank, CA -- La-La Land Records proudly announces its forthcoming release of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION, a limited edition 15-CD box set, showcasing all episode scores as heard in all three original seasons of the landmark sci-fi television series STAR TREK (1966-1969). This special collection of ground-breaking, iconic music, from one of television’s most acclaimed and beloved series, has been newly remastered from studio elements and features hours of stellar material previously unreleased in any format.

Original series composers Alexander Courage, George Duning, Jerry Fielding, Gerald Fried, Sol Kaplan, Samuel Matlovsky, Joseph Mullendore and Fred Steiner are all represented in this deluxe collection, their historic work meticulously assembled, restored and remastered to ensure the finest presentation and sound quality possible. A 100-Page CD Booklet, featuring exclusive, in-depth liner notes from film music writer and Star Trek historian Jeff Bond, complements this attractive set, which is housed in a hardcover slipcase.

The collection is expected to be released in late fall 2012. It will be a limited pressing, but the total number of units to be manufactured has yet to be determined. You can help the label decide how many units will ultimately be pressed by visiting www.lalalandrecords.com now and signing up for the STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION MAILING LIST.

STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION is licensed by CBS Consumer Products and produced in cooperation with GNP Crescendo Records, the longtime home of pioneering classic Star Trek television and film soundtracks. GNP Crescendo’s Neil Norman has allowed for episode scores previously and exclusively released by Crescendo to be newly expanded and remastered for this box set, in order to make the collection as comprehensive as possible.

This release marks the kind of authoritative collection of original Trek series music that fans have desired for decades. “For 45 years, those like me who love this music could only dream about having it all,” remarks album producer Lukas Kendall. “This is the major, historical piece of sci-fi music, television music and pop culture music that we have always wanted to release in a definitive form for the collector.”

“A majority of the music featured in this set has never been released,” adds Executive Album Producer and La-La Land Records President MV Gerhard. “Of that unreleased music, there is a fairly large percentage that no one has ever heard because it was written and recorded for the show, but never featured in the episodes.” Regarding some of these previously unreleased tracks, Album Music Editor Neil S. Bulk comments, “No original music from season three, apart from the main title, has ever been released. It’s really distinct and definitely Star Trek… It’s what people have always wanted.”

“The original show was very theatrical,” says Trek historian and liner notes writer Jeff Bond. “So the music reflected that. It was huge and very expressive and thematic. And that makes it very exciting to listen to apart from the show.”

The original Trek series scores team with action, adventure and drama, but they are also infused with deep emotion and the greatness of the human spirit. Such characteristics have kept these richly orchestrated tracks vital and relevant decades beyond their original recording. “Trek was always about the human condition,” remarks Co-Executive Album Producer and La-La Land Records VP, Matt Verboys. “And the scores have that in it and I think that’s what has made both the show and its music timeless.”

For more about STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION, visit www.lalalandrecords.com now and join the STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK MAILING LIST to receive important forthcoming information and announcements regarding the release, such as the official release date, the number of units pressed, pricing and much more!

® & © 2012 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.

###

For more information contact: cinemediapromo@yahoo.com or @cinemediapromo on Twitter
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012
    This has no interest to me, personally, but it looks like a lavish set. Lots of thought gone into it, as exemplified by the video on youtube. And of course, anything STAR TREK is bound to sell tons within our niche.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I can't wait to put an order in for this one. I grew up with this music and enjoy what I already have from various discs.

I don't order many physical CDs anymore, saving p&p (s&h) on each CD just for such an extravagant purchase.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    This has no interest to me, personally, but it looks like a lavish set. Lots of thought gone into it, as exemplified by the video on youtube. And of course, anything STAR TREK is bound to sell tons within our niche.

Well that might hold true with the movie soundtracks but the television scores is a different beast altogether; the TNG boxset FSM put out and to a lesser extent La-La Land's TNG vol 1 boxset underperformed heavily in sales, which is why La-La Land is doing the email sign up thing to get a clue as to what the demand really is. I do feel this time the advertisement and publicity is handled better, which was almost non-existent with the TNG set. It seems they've learned from their mistakes.

I'm not sure wether the TOS music is interesting enough for me to warrant 200$ or more, I still need to check out most of the original series and this is quite a hefty investment. But the C&C approach is something I like, I'm enjoying the twin peaks archive a lot and to have all the music from these iconic series, used and unused,
    is very tempting.
  3. Thor wrote

You know, there's a lot of composer threads here I don't ad comments to, or stopped adding comments to, and a TON or scores I never comment on. Why? I have nothing nice to say, or nothing to add.
    Why would I come to each new thing and point out I don't want [that watermelon] it, but man -- look how tasty it looks.

I'm not above frivilous comments and adding very little, but there's a ton of time to be wasted adding nothing.

Don't get me wrong -- people are free to waste their time as they see fit. But after a while, it grows just as tiresome as ... say ..... fucking nagging on complete scores again & again & again, until at some point that certain person's thread is locked at another forum and told to stop it.

They were handing out free sex toys to women who lined up, in New York. I just thought I'd let you all know I don't want one. Of course, all those hundreds of women who lined up are bound to get one and the business give away a ton. Again, I repeat -- I do not want one. I just wanted to comment. Yes, it's a complete waste of time, but I needed to make sure everybody knew I don't want a single friggin' one and that I think they may part with a ton! No point whatsoever to this paragraph! dizzy
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    They were handing out free sex toys to women who lined up, in New York. I just thought I'd let you all know I don't want one. Of course, all those hundreds of women who lined up are bound to get one and the business give away a ton. Again, I repeat -- I do not want one. I just wanted to comment. Yes, it's a complete waste of time, but I needed to make sure everybody knew I don't want a single friggin' one and that I think they may part with a ton! No point whatsoever to this paragraph! dizzy

Actually, that was a very interesting piece of information. I'm glad you added it. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I copied this from a fellow mod's post over at Bear's forum:

(from Lalaland newsletter)

It's the 46th anniversary of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES! And that makes this the perfect occasion to update all of you with some new information regarding our upcoming release of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION.

First off, thank you everybody for joining our mailing list and for helping us determine what the amount of the limited edition run will be.

We are now able to officially announce that this 15-CD box set will be released as a limited edition of 6000 units.

The retail price will be $224.98

We are still aiming for a late November 2012 release date and are currently on track to achieve that. You will be receiving further updates soon regarding the release date, content specifics and more!

Have a great weekend!

La-La Land Records

So for those interested. 6000 copies will be available. Nice number, I guess.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012
    I had no idea you were a Trekkie, Elin?! Or are you just relating information?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Seems that my Star Trek box has just arrived in the UK (22:20 today) and is not "awaiting Customs clearance". Here's hoping that it flies through Customs and is delivered soon.

I have to say though that I am not sure what the "International Express Mail" means in real terms except another $25 on shipping costs.

- Collected from SAE on the afternoon of the 13th
    - Forwarded for export on the 14th
    - Received in destination country on the 17th

It was good though that it seems to take only 3 minutes to be received in the UK and then passed to Customs. We'll see if this "service" costs me anything in addition to the charges already incurred for shipping.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012
    I've been hit hard by customs this month, so much so I'm actually checking european soundtrack stores. I asked the drone at the post office if there was any reason of the sudden increase in customs captivity, but he just said it was luck of the draw. Lucky me. biggrin
  6. Oh dear..."revised charges to be paid" it seems.

Let's see how much this is going to be. Take a number and double it seems to be the rule-of-thumb UK Customs seems to adopt.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    francis wrote
    I've been hit hard by customs this month, so much so I'm actually checking european soundtrack stores. I asked the drone at the post office if there was any reason of the sudden increase in customs captivity, but he just said it was luck of the draw. Lucky me. biggrin

It hasn't happened to me for a long time now. It leaves a bit of a sour taste doesn't it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    francis wrote

It hasn't happened to me for a long time now. It leaves a bit of a sour taste doesn't it.

Last time it happened to me, was the Georges Delerue 6CD set, which was already quite expensive to begin with. The customs nearly DOUBLED the price. And then when I got it, it started to fall apart. slant
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall in the customs office for a day! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Timmer wrote
    It leaves a bit of a sour taste doesn't it.

So it does... vomit

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote

A new Reality show right there?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Thor wrote

More like found footage horror film biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Thor wrote
    francis wrote

I'm sure it's already been done, I remember seeing one set at the port of Dover and another set in Australian customs.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. francis wrote

I am wondering if Customs have noticed a bit of surge in similar-looking packages "flooding" the UK (and other hubs and this has alerted them to there being something up?

Maybe sniffer dogs have been specially trained to detect large concentrations of that characteristic smell you get when opening a new CD for the first time (something that I do miss - if digital downloads could somehow come with a whiff of that then maybe people would feel better about the format and may even think that they sound as good as CDs?)
  8. The Box is now in my possession - only fleetingly though! It will wrapped ready for Tuesday.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The Box is now in my possession - only fleetingly though! It will wrapped ready for Tuesday.

Couldn't you start playing it now so you can be finished by Christmas night? wink
  9. I wish I could but it is shrink-wrapped and any tampering with it would obvious - I had said that I wanted to wait until Christmas...though sitting here looking at it I DO want to have a listen.

crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012 edited
    I assisted on a review of this set over at Home Theater Forum - it was a massive effort to review the 15 discs and the principle reviewer, Kevin, should be applauded for his effort. Please take a moment (if you would like) to check it out...

www.hometheaterforum.com/t/326250/star- … ecommended
    Insert witty line here
  10. Neilbucket wrote
    I assisted on a review of this set over at Home Theater Forum - it was a massive effort to review the 15 discs and the principle reviewer, Kevin, should be applauded for his effort. Please take a moment (if you would like) to check it out...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/326250/star-trek-the-original-series-soundtrack-collection-review-highly-recommended

Looks quite comprehensive. I enjoyed the bits of the review that I read and will definitely pop back to read the rest later. I found though that the link you listed doesn't work and I had to go to the site myself to find the review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
    This is one I have no interest in at all
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012 edited
    sdtom wrote
    This is one I have no interest in at all

I am interested to know why Tom. Mainly because you were never a fan of the show?

The reason I ask is that there are composers used for this series who have had success outside of the show (e.g., Jerry Fielding or Gerald Fried) who I would have though would have had you at least slightly interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Neilbucket wrote

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/326250/star-trek-the-original-series-soundtrack-collection-review-highly-recommended

Looks quite comprehensive. I enjoyed the bits of the review that I read and will definitely pop back to read the rest later. I found though that the link you listed doesn't work and I had to go to the site myself to find the review.

Thanks, I fixed the link.
    Insert witty line here