• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Interesting version of the case against Free Culture by an economist:
    http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/201 … onsidered/

I like the way it expresses the problem as one of competing corporate interests with consumers as a self-interested herd that will do what it wants provided nobody is watching.

(Disclaimer: I post this as someone who buys from iTunes several times a week, shares music and receives shared music costlessly weekly, listens to Spotify Unlimited daily for a monthly fee, and has paid for thousands of CDs that sit in boxes in my storeroom. So I'm on all sides of this.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. That was an interesting read. Thanks for the link.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Thanks so much for the link. That is a very well-written article and it brings up some really excellent points. I've often found it curious how our little community, which is more passionate about music than most people are, are so cavalier about downloading music without paying for it. Even if you live in a country where there is no law against that, you must see the ethical dilemma in failing to support the artists we claim to love. So you've paid for thousands of albums and these film composers are paid by the movie studios, so they're not starving like other artists, blah blah blah. There are tons of justifications and rationalizations for doing it. I wonder how many of them are true. The bottom line is this: downloading music you haven't paid for is unethical. This paragraph is my opinion, of course, which I'm sure most of you will disagree with.

A few years ago I deleted or threw away the files / CD-rs that I hadn't paid for. I'm sure I still have some CD-rs in places I haven't looked for a long time, but when I find them I'll throw them out as well. I gotta tell you, I have felt really good about that decision ever since. My conscience is clearer for it. In saying this I'm not trying to hold myself up as a light, but trying to offer evidence that the decision not to steal music is worth it.

Those are my two cents. I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, I just wanted to say my piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012 edited
    I remember reading it some months back. I say companies must think hard and find ways to give people something extra for their money, other than plain mp3's that they can already get the same (quality-wise) from pirated sources.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The real issue here is that this is not one conundrum, but several packed together, presented (quite falsely!) as one.
    1) Is it OK to copy (not steal. *Copy*!) material without payment to the creator?
    That's the easy one.
    I think nobody in his right mind would say 'yes' to that.

But then it gets muddled:
    2) Does piracy actually lead to loss of income?
    (I'm talking the direct line here, so payment to product; not the incredibly convoluted business models that allow major publishers to claim tax benefits on losses while they make billions!)
    Every single independent (i.e. non-Hollywood funded) academic study proves piracy leads to increased purchasing behaviour! If this is true, what does the fact that piracy does more good than harm do to the ethical aspect of the question?

3) Is piracy the reason sales are down?
    ...or are the products too expensive? Are 70 year old business models and their projections still valid in this day and age? Is there maybe a crisis going on affecting global purchasing power?

4) Is the clamping down on piracy indeed generating more income ?
    (If there is as causal an effect as is suggested, there should be an immediate result from the shutting down of Pirate Bay, MegaUpload and many others in the US, not to mention the draconic legal measures against individual downloaders).
    Strangely, there is not. Why is that?

5) If piracy leads to loss of income, how is that calculated?
    In civil suits, losses for one single downloader downloading 16 songs have been "calculated" at 600,000 dollars. Really? Really? (No, not really. But all evidence against these completely fictitious numbers has been supressed by legal wrangling. Truth wasn't so much an issue. Money was. Which is an interesting ethical item in any case of law).

6) Are the current copyright laws (and the proposed increase in range and impact) reflective of the spirit of the law? (i.e. is increasing copyright statutes to extend to a hundred years after the death of the artist benefitting the actual creating artist?)
    Oddly these laws really very rarely benefit artists directly...rights holders on the other hand are VERY well off! And that poses an ethical dilemma as well!

...and that's just off the top of my head.
    I'm sure if I'd spend some time concatenating information I could come to dozens more issues that affect and water down the discussion.

This is not in any way meant to dismiss or ridicule the post linked to in Michael's post.
    But I find it remarkable that any writer who clearly has such a vested interest, such a grasp of the matter and sucha clear view still tries to bring this incredibly complex matter back to one simple question of good and bad.
    It isn't.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012
    As a frequent purchaser of CD's and Vinyls, i really have troubles understanding why their prices are equal (or even higher at cases) to those 15 years back. Like the economy worldwide now (at least in the western world) is as good as 15 years back. I think their price is still too damn high (as the rent party would say). The only thing sometimes cheap are the digital downloads which as i said before, do not offer something more to the buying public than what the cloned pirated copies do, sadly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    The only thing sometimes cheap are the digital downloads which as i said before, do not offer something more to the buying public than what the cloned pirated copies do, sadly.

And oddly it's not particularly offered more cheaply, and often notably poorer in quality!
    I think though that there is some excellent progress being made with streaming services like Spotify! I really think that may be the way of the future for proper business models for music (and other media).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can you download spotify content as lossless Audio once you pay for it ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No idea. I gather it's based on streaming content, which, even though I don't prefer it, certainly seems a step in the right direction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well why pay for something that plays, streams, goes off in the air and then it's gone forever? Or it doesn't work like that? (no idea, spotify doesn't support third world countries yet).
  4. Isn't that what happens with things like Netflix?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Movies are different. Rarely do I, at least, and many more people i'd suggest, want to view the same movie or tv episode over and over again. One is enough.

But with music is different. Why do i have to pay for a one-time radio for my favorite music? I want to OWN my favorite music and re-visit it frequently. Such a paid streaming music service would be useless for me at least. Unless i pirated it (here we go again) and recorded the stream in lossless quality. So you see where it all fails again.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Well why pay for something that plays, streams, goes off in the air and then it's gone forever? Or it doesn't work like that? (no idea, spotify doesn't support third world countries yet).

You build your own playlists, listen to whatever you want, and provided you're connected to the net, can listen to it anytime. And that's a free service.
    The paid service (for a decent monthly fee) has a few extra features, such as no ads, higher quality streaming, and offline availability of the content. I get enough out of it that I subscribe to one of the paid services.

But in any case, you don't really own the music you listen to for the most part, unless you bought physical media at some point. You just pay for the right to listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Exactly. You pay for the ACCESS, not the physical ownership.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Exactly. You pay for the ACCESS, not the physical ownership.

And same with digital purchases: you pay for access to music not the ownership of the track.

Which usually is quite sufficient.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can you download those flacs you pay for?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote

Thor wrote
    You pay for the ACCESS, not the physical ownership.
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And same with digital purchases: you pay for access to music not the ownership of the track.

So no.
    (I'm pretty sure that the offline content option will still be protected from copying)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Useless for me then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Actually, I logged on to Spotify and double-checked.

YES, you can buy the digital version of the albums too, if you prefer that.

I don't use it for that, however. I use it for sampling albums I'm curious about. That is on top of listening to the music I own (transferred to iTunes from my CD's), which is what I do the most.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    I don't use it for that, however. I use it for sampling albums I'm curious about. That is on top of listening to the music I own (transferred to iTunes from my CD's), which is what I do the most.

So, can you listen to your own tracks (located locally on your PC) through Spotify? Or does Spotify have a note of your library and then streams the tracks for you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

So, can you listen to your own tracks (located locally on your PC) through Spotify? Or does Spotify have a note of your library and then streams the tracks for you?

You can listen to your own tracks on the PC.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    The real issue here is that this is not one conundrum, but several packed together, presented (quite falsely!) as one.
    1) Is it OK to copy (not steal. *Copy*!) material without payment to the creator?
    That's the easy one.
    I think nobody in his right mind would say 'yes' to that.

I'd disagree with that, but perhaps I'm not in my right mind. wink I judge right and wrong depending on whether the action causes any harm. If a person would not be buying an album anyway, I see absolutely nothing wrong with him copying it, as there would be no loss to the creator. That said, reality is often more muddy than that, as people can rationalize their behaviours, and convince themselves that everything they've downloaded, they wouldn't have purchased anyway, even if they actually would have bought much of the music. So the act is on somewhat shaky ground ethically, but posed as an ideal example, I don't find it wrong. I agree with the rest of your post though. wave

Anyway, onto the article:

It's true that many downloaders tend to oversimplify the issue, but the writer of this article doesn't do any better. The music industry and artists are indeed earning less overall than they used to; without a single justification he concludes: "There is no other explanation except for the fact that “fans” made the unethical choice to take their music without compensating these artists". Correlation doesn't imply causation, alas this writer doesn't seem to have realized this simply fact. And immediately after he goes on to imply that his neighbor committed suicide because of it. The leaps in logic and the emotional appeal seems a bit much to me.

What about the fact than in the last 10-15 years, the period where internet downloading has increased, the music industry has been met with increasing competition from DVDs and video games? Both of these industries have boomed, all fighting for the money from the same group (young people). Strangely, this guy, and many like him, ignore this essential factor completely.

Another factor they continually ignore, is the fact that downloading (whether legal or illegal) will inevitably have huge promotional effects. I think the vast majority of the buzz sorrounding film music to take an example is due to illegal downloading, and I think boards like this, Filmtracks and FSM would be rather more quiet without it, due to the fact that many more people are exposed to music that they otherwise wouldn't, and they end up ranting about it online, sometimes causing others to buy it. Also, worth pointing out is that research shows that the people who download illegally, also tend to be the same group who buys the most music. It doesn't really seem to line up with the simplistic claims we hear from the people who rant against downloading.

Whether internet downloading overall hurts or helps sales, seems to me to not be a question easy to resolve. Research seems to be pointing in different directions. Perhaps there isn't even a simple answer; perhaps illegal downloading can help sales under some circumstances, and harm them under others.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    When I first became a film music fan the only access to it I had was downloading from file sharing sites while in college.

Afterwards I spend about 6 years buying obsessive amounts of soundtracks and now I have probably 800 albums, probably spent $10,000 or more on them.

Now I'm poor again (through poor choices of my own) and almost exclusively illegally download new film music. If I am ever not poor again I fully intend to go back to purchasing including the purchasing of all the scores I've illegally downloaded. But I don't know if that will ever happen. No one knows. I have a stable job but if living costs go up I will have very little spending money.

Would the music industry rather me not have become a film music fan in the first place (through downloading) and not spend those $10,000? Would they rather me stop downloading, lose interest in new film music (by necessity since I will no longer be able to feed my interest and it will starve to death), and lose whatever future thousands of dollars I may contribute?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Demetris wrote

It's like you're using someone else's really big music library (with your playlists). And for most people, it's costless, with some ads. You use it for listening, not for ownership. Listen to hundreds of albums hundreds of times and decide what you want to own yourself. I'm not sure what the problem is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012
    It's a paid radio. If you can't download flacs, then i wouldn't pay for a one-time streaming. Unless it's not one-time streaming, you can stream unlimited? But even then, it would require internet connection.
  9. You can stream unlimited, yes. And you don't pay for that, but every 5 or 6 tracks, there'll be a 30 second ad. But yes, you do require an internet connection, except in the premium offline mode. It's not a replacement for a music collection, but it is a legitimate way to get across an awful lot of material without having to pay for it. I often forget whether I'm listening to one of my itunes playlists, or one of my spotify playlists. (I paid for the medium version, which cuts the ads.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    As a frequent purchaser of CD's and Vinyls, i really have troubles understanding why their prices are equal (or even higher at cases) to those 15 years back.

In the UK at least, that isn't true. In 1995 the average price of a new CD was £15. That equates to £23 in today's terms, taking inflation into account. The average price of a new CD today is in fact £12. So they've almost halved in price since 1995 in real terms - in my country, anyway. I accept it may well be different elsewhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012 edited
    Whenever i go online to buy score cd's it never falls largely below the 20-euros mark. In stores it's the same. I wonder how it is in the rest of the E.U