• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    MovieScore Media presents

Metsän Tarina (The Tale of a Forest) (Panu Aaltio)

http://moviescoremedia.com/metsan-tarina-panu-aaltio/

A strong contender for the title ‘Best Documentary Score’ of the year 2012, Panu Aaltio’s original music for the first Finnish feature length nature documentary to receive a wide domestic theatrical release is a also one of the most beautiful soundtracks of the year. Following the example set by composers such as Bruno Coulais (Oceans, Winged Migration) and George Fenton (Planet Earth, Life), Aaltio underscores the drama and emotions of this wildlife adventure with broad but sophisticated brush strokes. Several themes are heard throughout the score, and the sheer beauty of these tracks are contrasted by playful scherzos showcasing inspired writing for flutes, woodwinds and pizzicato strings and majestic fanfares for brass, strings and percussion.

MovieScore Media’s releases of Aaltio’s scores for The Home of Dark Butterflies and Dawn of the Dragonslayer has already established the composer as one to watch – with the arrival of the music for Metsän tarina, there is no doubt that he is one of the most talented of his generation!

MMD0021 • METSÄN TARINA (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    Music Composed by PANU AALTIO
    Release date (digital only): December 18, 2012

TRACK LIST

1 The Tale of a Forest 2:47
    2 A New Beginning 3:46
    3 The Little Ones 2:08
    4 A Midsummer Treasure 1:44
    5 Snowfall 2:33
    6 The Woodland Spirit 4:35
    7 Spring Wonder 2:56
    8 Days Gone By 2:35
    9 Ant Kingdom 2:23
    10 Stone of the Snakes 1:58
    11 Home 2:50
    12 The Bird and the Squirrel 3:14
    13 Twig Traffic 2:30
    14 Raindrops 2:24
    15 Love, Care and Respect 6:24
    16 The World Tree 2:02
    17 Forsaken 1:58
    18 A Forest Adventure 2:35
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
  1. Southall wrote
    This is really good!

It certainly is! I was skeptical about Mikael's comment about it being a contender for documentary score of the year - there are a few already that are good - but listening to this I think that it could be the top doc score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I'm really liking the itunes clips for this one! I'll be buying it shortly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012
    Cannot wait to hear this, his house of the dark butterflies is one of the best scores I've ever heard post-2000
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2013
    Tale of the Forest is definitely the hybrid score of 2013. Very well done.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  3. What do mean by hybrid?

incidentally the score was released in 2012, but that hardly matters
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2013
    Hybrid is a combination of orchestra playing that is mixed with synthesizer samples that have been remixed or altered to fit into the soundtrack. Since this was a low budget effort and an orchestra couldn't be used I was really impressed with the work that was done on this.
    Tom smile
  4. It does have some very minimal synth backing but I wouldn't call this a hybrid score; it's written and performed in a way that's almost entirely orchestral in style. Tron Legacy, now that is a hybrid score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It does have some very minimal synth backing but I wouldn't call this a hybrid score; it's written and performed in a way that's almost entirely orchestral in style. Tron Legacy, now that is a hybrid score.

The word hybrid came from the mouth of the composer
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2013
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/t … nu-aaltio/

My review
    Tom smile
  5. Nice review Tom, although I definitely disagree regarding the final cue, which is actually my favorite on the entire album...it's just so joyful and fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013
    The last cue was one of the top cues of 2012.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My comment stands. If a full orchestra played this it would be incredible.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    dizzy
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. My review of it, great score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014
    Outstanding score and composer, eager to hear way more from him.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.