• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well done to Danna, he certainly deserved it and it's one of my favourites of last year. That said I would have preferred to see 'Lincoln' or 'Skyfall' get the prize.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013
    christopher wrote
    Did he get no composer credit on the song? Was that all Adele?

I am pretty sure Newman would never touch that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

So you would rather the films composer had nothing to do with the song? Just look, sorry hear the touch of class John Barry brought to both Duran Duran's and a~ha's title theme songs.

As it is he incorporated a little of it into his score anyway ( can't remember the track title? ) so he did "touch" it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. For me, the James Bond score/song combination is that composer of score is intimately involved in composing the song as this will be a major part of the score itself. Anything else is just a melody being bolted onto the score if it's used in the film itself.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. He didn't want to though. He had to incorporate it by demand of the producers and recorded it like a month later than the rest of the score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He didn't want to though. He had to incorporate it by demand of the producers and recorded it like a month later than the rest of the score.

Yes, I think we all already know that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For me, the James Bond score/song combination is that composer of score is intimately involved in composing the song as this will be a major part of the score itself. Anything else is just a melody being bolted onto the score if it's used in the film itself.

All but pretty much a lost art now. And the reason why we never got a John Barry score for Goldeneye.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    All but pretty much a lost art now.

Lost art? It was only two films ago where Arnold collaborated with Cornell on "You Know My Name." Who knows what will happen with the next Bond film.

As for Newman using Adele's tune in the score... it fit into the score seemlessly as if Newman wrote it himself. And Newman incorporated the song in some of the action material as well. Just listen to "The Bloody Shot." It's really well done!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    All but pretty much a lost art now.

Lost art? It was only two films ago where Arnold collaborated with Cornell on "You Know My Name." Who knows what will happen with the next Bond film.

As for Newman using Adele's tune in the score... it fit into the score seemlessly as if Newman wrote it himself. And Newman incorporated the song in some of the action material as well. Just listen to "The Bloody Shot." It's really well done!

-Erik-

And a very good song it was in yours and my opinion Erik, but it obviously didn't instill the Bond producers with much confidence.

...and two films ago is already nearly 7 years ago.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    And Newman incorporated the song in some of the action material as well. Just listen to "The Bloody Shot." It's really well done!-

It's in there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... listen carefully. 1:47. Look, it could all be a coincidence but the Skyfall melody is there plain as day and then blasts into the Bond theme. I want to believe that Newman did this on purpose. tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

So you would rather the films composer had nothing to do with the song? Just look, sorry hear the touch of class John Barry brought to both Duran Duran's and a~ha's title theme songs.

As it is he incorporated a little of it into his score anyway ( can't remember the track title? ) so he did "touch" it.

No, i don't have a problem with songs in general of course. All i am saying is that Newman would never touch that plain Adele song.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2013
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

No, i don't have a problem with songs in general of course. All i am saying is that Newman would never touch that plain Adele song.

So you say D but he DID! Have we got a failure to communicate? confused dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Are paper airplanes dangerous for Hollywood celebrities?

Oscars: 'Paperman' Producer Thrown Out Following Animated Short Win
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/o … ted-424023

Anyway, it's great that Walt Disney Animation Studios got the award for the first time in decades.
    It's officially released on YouTube but I won't see it until theatrical release in Japan (with Wreck-It Ralph).

And I'm not interested in other categories! wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

Is he official credited?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Miya wrote
    Are paper airplanes dangerous for Hollywood celebrities?

Oscars: 'Paperman' Producer Thrown Out Following Animated Short Win
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/o … ted-424023

Anyway, it's great that Walt Disney Animation Studios got the award for the first time in decades.
    It's officially released on YouTube but I won't see it until theatrical release in Japan (with Wreck-It Ralph).

And I'm not interested in other categories! wink

You and your animation obsession, Miya! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

Is he official credited?

I think we're failing wink wink

We both know he had nothing to do with Adele's ( very good ) song but he did incorporate it into his score at a late stage ( probably pushed into it and quite rightly so IMO ) so YES, he did touch Adele's ( very good ) song.

Comprende!? tongue hug
  4. Should "Music Supervisors" be recognised at the Oscars? They think they should.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/movie … e&_r=0
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013
    I don't know. The last thing the Oscars needs is more bloat. If anything, they should be cutting down on the awards given ( or maybe give out some of the technical and short film/documentaries awards outside of the show).
  5. Josh B wrote
    I don't know. The last thing the Oscars needs is more bloat. If anything, they should be cutting down on the awards given ( or maybe give out some of the technical and short film/documentaries awards outside of the show).

That was one of the comments made - the Academy are reluctant to make the awards even longer than they are already. And, as they say, if it's not original music then it doesn't qualify for consideration.

I don't believe that their job warrants a separate category.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Josh B wrote

That was one of the comments made - the Academy are reluctant to make the awards even longer than they are already. And, as they say, if it's not original music then it doesn't qualify for consideration.

I don't believe that their job warrants a separate category.

Anyone remember when they used to have Best Adaptation Music Oscar? If memory serves me correctly I remember Jerry Goldsmith's Damien Omen II being up for the award in this now defunct category.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

Is he official credited?

We both know he had nothing to do with Adele's ( very good ) song but he did incorporate it into his score at a late stage ( probably pushed into it and quite rightly so IMO ) so YES, he did touch Adele's ( very good ) song.

Comprende!? tongue hug

D

Just wondering here, is there any James Bond title/used in/end title songs you like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

Is he official credited?

Comprende!? tongue hug

Yes, but how do we know who incorporated what? Maybe the songwriters lifted the melodic motif from the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No they didn't, Newman had to write the song into a cue after the song was written, if you listen you can hear the James Bond theme in the song.

...and which Bond songs do you like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Adele does have a very good voice, and I must admit the song has grown on me. Definitely a proper Bond-y sounding song.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2013
    Timmer wrote
    No they didn't, Newman had to write the song into a cue after the song was written, if you listen you can hear the James Bond theme in the song.

Well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Should "Music Supervisors" be recognised at the Oscars? They think they should.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/movie … e&_r=0

No. There should be "Best Animal Actor" category instead.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well?

I bet he likes all of them, especially the ones from the 80s. I know D's tastes very well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i am a great sucker for cheesy Bond songs smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Yeah, i am a great sucker for cheesy Bond songs smile

Are you avoiding my question? You still haven't named a single Bond song you've professed to like.