• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Legend of the Fall - James Horner

Horner's most romantic score? Sounds like it to me! I love the theme in this one. So lush and sweeping.

It's a lovely score, one of my Horner favourites.

NP : THE SHELTERING SKY - Ryuichi Sakamoto

This a soaring and lush score too, wonderful.

I listened to the album a few hours ago and, I was a bit underwhelmed. I wanted more (big) thematic, sweeping statements, but I didn't get it. I've heard the theme before, but never in its original context.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Star Trek Into Darkness - Michael Giacchino

Back at it. Having seen the film, this helps me appreciate the score somewhat more. Like with the first album, a whole chunk of cues from the middle of the film are missing and while I wouldn't necessarily want all of them, it could have helped with pacing to swap some of the rehash cues (like "Sub Prime Directive") with something fresher. Regardless, the best music is definitely in the second half of the album, especially the exciting "The San Fran Hustle."
  1. Everyone try to contain your shock here...

I'm listening to Basil Poledouris's score to CONAN THE BARBARIAN for the first time in my life.

Well, I heard parts of it on Erik's show, actually, but I've finally purchased this one and am now listening to it all the way through for the first time. I decided on the re-recording. I know some of you prefer the 3 disc release, but I decided I'd prefer 2 discs and a recording that I'd already liked when I heard it on Erik's show.

I do not yet have an opinion on the score and think it will take me several listens through to really start to appreciate it. But I can say that the Prologue was awesome.

I think "late to the game" doesn't even come close to describing what I am to this score.
  2. My exposure to Conan was also pretty late in the game (somewhere around 2001-2002) and at first, I actually *hated* the score. I reevaluated my opinion after listening to the Varese release (my first exposure was Milan) some two years later. Now I didn't get the Intrada release, because thanks to Martijn I have the re-recording.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. christopher wrote
    Everyone try to contain your shock here...

I'm listening to Basil Poledouris's score to CONAN THE BARBARIAN for the first time in my life.

Well, I heard parts of it on Erik's show, actually, but I've finally purchased this one and am now listening to it all the way through for the first time. I decided on the re-recording. I know some of you prefer the 3 disc release, but I decided I'd prefer 2 discs and a recording that I'd already liked when I heard it on Erik's show.

I do not yet have an opinion on the score and think it will take me several listens through to really start to appreciate it. But I can say that the Prologue was awesome.

I think "late to the game" doesn't even come close to describing what I am to this score.

I own both editions. Like you I prefer the re-recording, due to the superior sound and performance. (IMHO) The Intrada release is facinating in itself though, If you know the backstory. Like the relase of "The Black Hole", such releases are really special.
    Especially when it comes to golden age film music I have changed from a original-recording hunter to a re-recordings collector over the years.

NP: Two Mules for Sister Sara & My Name is Nobody - Ennio Morricone

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Star Trek Into Darkness

Enjoying this more on CD than I did in the film where I hardly noticed it other than the reprised material. Very enjoyable and surprisingly I recognise most of it from the film, particularly enjoying the piano and John Harrison material.

So far it doesn't come close to the album for the last film which I found to Be an incredibly well put together record. The sequencing was wonderful with each cue complimenting brilliantly those before/after.

I am enjoying this thoroughly on it's own merits though and it's a nice length.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013 edited
    christopher wrote

Better late than never, as they say wink

Make sure you update us with your views of this score Christopher.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. christopher wrote

There this composer you've probably never heard of called Jerry Goldsmith. You may want top check him out.

By the way, we landed on the Moon. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. NP: Star Trek - Michael Giacchino (Varese)

I am going to watch STID in the course of this weekend. I do some preparation: I'll watch Star Trek on DVD tonight and currently I listen to the score again after a long while. The new score will get released on CD Friday next week in Germany.

I like the score (regular release) better than I remembered to. There are some really stunning moments here, and it's a very well put together album.

Curious how the second film of the reboot will hold up!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Star Trek: Into Darkness - Michael Giacchino

Just saw the film. Liked it! Helped me appreciate the music more.
    There's a good 100+ minutes of score there, so I'm sure a deluxe album version will one day surface.
    The film itself certainly has logic problems but it's still a fun ride.
    The thing that actually irks me with this film, along with other JJ Abrams movies is how many of the scenes seem to have a slightly squashy aspect ratio to them. Is this a stylistic choice he likes to use?
    Anyway, enjoyable film and nice job Mr. Giacchino.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone

Magnificent!

One of the best scores of the 00's
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The best score of the 00s in my opinion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Arguably, yes! I think I've played this more than any other 00's score, that says something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Atham wrote
    NP: Star Trek: Into Darkness - Michael Giacchino

Just saw the film. Liked it! Helped me appreciate the music more.
    There's a good 100+ minutes of score there, so I'm sure a deluxe album version will one day surface.

The film was hugely enjoyable, but the score album is terrible and unrepresentative of the score as whole. All of the connective tissue is missing and another twenty minutes would have rounded it out nicely. Bring on the Deluxe Edition!
  7. NP: Velocity Ultra - James Marsden & Joris de Man

There seems to be a trend for retro 80s scores for new video games (that is scores being written in this style rather than ones being limited by the budget). Power Glove's recent Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a great example of this and now Velocity Ultra seems to be maintain this trend.

http://youtu.be/dTw-fqyM8iM

This video features a track from the score and these Amazon clips give a feel of the score. "Protect" and "Rescue" do tend to be the highlights with most of the remixes being a bit too much, but there's some good tracks here.

Thor, you may like it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2013
    Southall wrote

Judges? Bzzzzzz! Oh, sorry... the correct answer is Signs. Signs.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Judges? Bzzzzzz! Oh, sorry... the correct answer is Signs. Signs.

-Erik-

A brilliant film score but as a listening experience on album it's nowhere near Morricone's awesome work.

FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2013 edited
    Yeah, I don't even think it's a brilliant film score. The whole "Towards The Unknown" sequence took me right out of the movie! And while "Where?" is a gorgeous piece of music on its own it's laughably cheese ball in the film. Doesn't help that the edited montage by DePalma is God awful!

There's many other daring, but ridiculously bizarre elements in the score that took me right out of the film as well. This is what bad scores do. They call attention to themselves for the wrong reasons.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I did make distinctions between album and film scores. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm going to watch Mission to Mars (having no prior experience with either film or score) just to see how I feel about this debate. Because I know Signs is a brilliant score, whether in the film or as an album, and I'm curious to see how Morricone's work compares in effectiveness. It seems to me that its a pretty legitimate comparison since they both seem to be scores that the films must heavily lean upon to add a sense of wonder and weightiness to their otherwise horribly cheesy proceedings....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Velocity Ultra - James Marsden & Joris de Man

There seems to be a trend for retro 80s scores for new video games (that is scores being written in this style rather than ones being limited by the budget). Power Glove's recent Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a great example of this and now Velocity Ultra seems to be maintain this trend.

This video features a track from the score and these Amazon clips give a feel of the score. "Protect" and "Rescue" do tend to be the highlights with most of the remixes being a bit too much, but there's some good tracks here.

Thor, you may like it.

Yes, I did. Great stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP: John Carter (of Mars) - Michael Giacchino

Mission to Mars - Ennio Morricone

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin

Sooooooooooo cool, soooooooooooo good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Velocity Ultra - James Marsden & Joris de Man

Thor, you may like it.

Yes, I did. Great stuff.

Thor, keeping the game theme going a bit, have you come across Daniel Sadowski's score for Darkout?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Darkout/dp/B00B … p;sr=301-1

Definitely an Inception/TRON: Legacy feel about some of the tracks, but I am really enjoying this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013
    I have not. My knowledge of current games and game scores is practically nill. Thanks for the recommendation.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: The great gatsby

Just passing through I thought I'd lob in a hand grenade of sorts. There is 1 track of score amidst 20 or so collisions of hip hop and spirited jazz songs. And it's a fantastic album. I'll be very surprised if there's a more enjoyably produced soundtrack album this year. You could cut the score track - it wouldn't be missed.

On with the Star Trek loving I guess... If that theme-of-sorts didnt wear people out the first time I imagine a second score loaded with it would be the bees knees. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Because I saw this photo and got somehow really excited, even though I was never there!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=655033864510057
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  10. NP: Star Trek into Darkness - Michael Giacchino

After listening to the music in context on Saturday, the CD arrived today and I currently relive the film with my ears and my imagination. This is exactely what I love about film music.

I am very much in line with Jon's fine review. Solid 4 stars indeed.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek Into Darkness - Michael Giacchino

I don't like this as much as my illustrious predecessor in this thread, but it does pass the time quite nicely. Probably the least good of the 12 film scores so far though.