• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Star Trek Into Darkness - M Giacchino

I've had something of an about-turn with this one, and am really enjoying it now.

I'm not sure it's quite as good as the first, but I do think at the very least it's a decent companion score to the first with enough merit of its own to recommend both scores to folk. For me its highlights are Harrison's theme and the Klingon theme/motif/anvil crash/pipe sound effect. It just rings "Klingon" very well.

Though I certainly wouldn't recommend this if you're not in the mood for quite a noisy score. Thor would love it if course.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexandre Desplat

One of my favourite scores of the 00's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexandre Desplat

One of my favourite scores of the 00's.

I never really connected to this one. Not as good as I connected to Skyfall, anyway. wink

I'll give it another spin soon.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    'it's Thomas Newman's take on a Bond score' blah de blah...

'It's not generic' blah de blah...

sleep

No offence intended to your well written post Pawel, but I do keep hearing these excuses for Newman's timid Bond score. biggrin

It's a boring score. Weak temp-heavy action cues. Only Goldeneye can rival its brand of uniqueness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ^FICTION.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013
    Steven wrote
    ^FICTION.

Yup! It's definitely fictional that Skyfall is a unique score. It's quite bland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Fair enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Medal of Honor: Airborne - Michael Gicchino

Listening to this ballsy action score again. Classic Giacchino trademarks throughout.
    I couldn't help compare "Gunfight in the Ruins" with "The Kronos Wartet" from Into Darkness.
    Close cousins rhythmically.
    Speaking of Star Trek: Into Darkness (a soundtrack that rarely gets a mention on this thread wink ), this is a score that my musical palate has quickly adapted to enjoy more and more with each listen!
  2. lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    ^FICTION.

Yup! It's definitely fictional that Skyfall is a unique score. It's quite bland.

Fascinating how some people consider it "bland" and "weak." On the other hand, I've been playing the score more or less non-stop since December.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    For Greater Glory - James Horner

Great! I can't stop listening to this.

punk
  3. Cristian wrote

punk

Erik can.
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ii/#Item_7
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Captain Future wrote
    Cristian wrote

punk

Erik can.
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ii/#Item_7

I'm sorry for him smile
  4. I can too. I only return to A Bullet on the Floor. This score is just Horner being TOO derivative for me and I thought I've been always very tolerant of his actions in that regard.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, same for me. This one takes the piss a wee bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    After Earth - JNH

Frustrating album because there's some truly superb material but also a lot of filler.
  5. Cristian wrote

punk

How fortuitous. Neither can I. The backlash against it makes me sad...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Cristian wrote

punk

It is a score that I can connect emotionally with. Which is great because I haven't found too many scores like this lately.
  6. Cristian wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Cristian wrote

punk

It is a score that I can connect emotionally with. Which is great because I haven't found too many scores like this lately.

I've found that Abel Korzeniowski's music is pretty sweeping. But you can just stick with Horner's material, since he's the most romantic composer working today. Try A Beautiful Mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013
    Django - Luis Bacalov

One of the greatest of soundtracks. Not a note here that's less than memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    ^FICTION.

Fascinating how some people consider it "bland" and "weak." On the other hand, I've been playing the score more or less non-stop since December.

People's taste differ from one another?

NP: Jurassic Park - John Williams

One of my favorite John Williams score. And there aren't that many.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    ^FICTION.

People's taste really do differ from one another don't they? wink
  7. Demetris wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    The Great Gatsby

A breath of fresh air in the soundtrack space - a pop compilation that is cohesive. Where the songs clearly link to the story on a thematic level, and there's not really a wasted opportunity (except maybe track 1, the one most likely to send everyone here rushing for the exits). Some of the re arrangements are pretty interesting.

Michael, are there orchestral elements present in the pieces' instrumentation and arrangements? like, MOULIN ROUGE, for instance?

Have you seen the film? any good? thanks! wave

I haven't seen the film. The arrangements vary musical genre quite a bit. It's not uncommon to hear a more modern popular style (rnb, hip-hop) pitted against a boisterous jazz ensemble. The lusher of the songs -- 'Young and beautiful', 'Kill and run' and a couple of others -- are credited with Craig Armstrong arrangements, and have quite a lush sound with a modern sheen.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I really, really liked Skyfall. I didn't find it generic at all and in fact I found it to be one of the most intelligent action scores written in recent times.

I particularly enjoy the fact that he decided to hint at the Bond sound rather than making it purely a Barry rehash, which I believe was Arnold's basic method to write a Bond score. It's very much a Thomas Newman score, but featuring references to the sound that are subtle, yet noticeable.

I'll give two examples - first, the beginning of the film. The thematic brass hit that starts the film put me more in the 007 world than anything Arnold has written for the series, to be honest. It's a bold reference, saying, yes, this IS a James Bond movie, even without the gunbarrel sequence (which, as they said, couldn't fit into the beginning shot, so they put it at the end of the film). Subtle, bold, noticeable and very telling of what world are we going to enter.

Second big moment (except the song quotation in Komodo Dragon, a very Barry-like track conventionally, too) is the cue New Digs. This is pure Thomas Newman in harmony and melody (possibly recalling scores like, for example, Road to Perdition) and yet very Bondish. How?

Stephen Woolston once commented about Barry's action music structure, noticing how he built his action cues around a 3 + 3 + 2 pattern. It's more simple than it looks here - Barry basically wrote his action cues in the 8/8 meter, rather than 4/4, which may explain why his action music isn't such high on tempo as some action music, especially recently is. An 8/8 piece is simply two times as slow as its 4/4 counterpart. Now, where is the subtle difference? In accents. In 4/4 you have two accents falling at the first and third quarter note (I apologize for not knowing the British terms anymore, I used to but things like semiquavers and all are just too difficult for me to remember biggrin ) of the measure (or if you prefer, bar): TA ta TA ta. In 8/8 and that's what Barry used beautiful, it's the first, fourth and seventh note of the measure/bar, having three accents falling like that TAtata TAtata TAta. Barry has based a lot of his action music (up to as long as at least Across the Sea of Time, cf. Subway Ride) on this pattern.

Thomas Newman takes the general Bond approach in the track, using a subtle, yet pronounced of the 8/8 pattern and adding subtle electric guitar to it, while in the string writing retaining his own style. It's these little moments that make the score stand out as being Newman's own and yet a part of the family to me.

Also, one last thing. Christian Clemmensen complained how the Severine theme (the closest thing to a love theme the film got, but if you look at the movie, the closest thing to a Bond girl the film would get, would be actually M, not Severine, who is dispatched as soon as it gets) doesn't appear anywhere except the eponymous track... He didn't properly listen into it - the theme has very nicely pronounced contrapunctual appearance (under the song's melody, that is) in Komodo Dragon.

Holy crap, this is the best Skyfall review I've ever read (and I've read almost all of them).

I like how you reference Clemmensen too. He knows his music but I don't think he gets Newman at all.

Sorry to continue the quoting of large chunks, but I also wanted to compliment a fine post. I get that this thread is mostly meant to be chatty, but it's nice to see a bit of substance here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    ^FICTION.

People's taste really do differ from one another don't they? wink

Yeah, I find that I like John Williams when his albums can function as just a listening experience, linearly from beginning to end. Or just in individual cues. There'd be scores where I like only a few cues, but the whole thing isn't great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Django - Luis Bacalov

One of the greatest of soundtracks. Not a note here that's less than memorable.

And again.

Seriously... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45x91IM5-A4
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RARITIES (John Williams)

71 tracks of various rarities -- from film to tv to concert pieces, from 1958-2012. Fun stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    After Earth - JNH

Frustrating album because there's some truly superb material but also a lot of filler.

Best score I've heard this year.* (If you don't count Frozen Planet as a 2013 score.)

*Or, more accurately, best music I've heard in a score this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I liked After Earth, a lot as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. I didn't like it much. Just finished listening to it. Definitely in the Hunger Games vein of tense underscore and very little action music (I assume the film's action sequences are left largely unscored). It has its moments in the opening and closing cues but overall a disappointment. slant