• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "A controversial orchestral film score" by Frank Zappa is to have its UK premiere as part of a major celebration of modern classical music. Zappa's 200 Motels will be performed this autumn as part of the "The Rest is Noise" festival at London's Southbank Centre.

The score involves an orchestral ensemble of more than 65 musicians and a chorus of 30 and it will be performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra and members of Southbank Sinfonia with conductor Jurjen Hempel on 29 October.

The story - on the BBC News website - also states that "...there will be a screening of Stanley Kubrick's 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey with live accompaniment by the Royal Festival Hall's resident Philharmonia Orchestra..." but it does not say which score would be featured.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21061287
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2013
    And there will also be a screening of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey with live accompaniment by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and chorus here in South Australia in March.
    I can't wait to experience it!
  2. Atham wrote
    And there will also be a screening of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey with live accompaniment by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and chorus here in South Australia in March.

Wow!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Atham wrote

Do you know what music they will be playing? Kubrick's own playlist or Alex North's original score?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Atham wrote

Do you know what music they will be playing? Kubrick's own playlist or Alex North's original score?

Was there a choir in North's composition?

(I prefer "Kubrick' Playlist" to North's composition as good as it is. I don't like how North was treated by Kubrick, though.)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. For once, how about Cordell's?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Atham wrote

It won't be North's score.
    Here's the promo blurb:

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
    With Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and Adelaide Chamber Singers

Imagine two awe-inspiring forces meeting for an epic evening of film and music – a screening of one of the greatest films ever made accompanied live by the might of the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and a 60-voice choir.
    Stanley Kubrick's 1968 sci-fi masterpiece is celebrated for its technological realism, innovative special effects and brilliant use of music from Richard Strauss, Johann Strauss and György Ligeti. Under the expert command of conductor, Robert Ziegler, more than 150 singers and musicians shed new light on this cult classic.

We'll be sitting in the dress circle area. Nice but not central sadly.