• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    I would surely like to know the reason for that bit of information.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Tom, see: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=153540

The opening post says:

My most shinning moment was the time I wrote one paper for three classes back in High School during the same quarter. (Speech, History, and English)

Since then I keep all my papers and notes on my computer in case I can re-use or barrow for a later paper. No big deal, I am the author and god only knows how many times text book authors do this for the several book chapters they write!

Today I was just informed by my Nutrient Metabolism professor that it won't fly. Even if I had wrote the paper in the past, I can not re-use that material for my research paper. It falls under Academic Misconduct. WTH!?! How can I plagiarize myself!?

Not like he can tell, but what gall! If I am resourceful enough to save that data, I should be able to reuse it all I want. I mean it's not like every class doesn't make me do a 'research' paper already. I have done enough to get the drift.

What ever...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    TJ, that is a common practice in academia. It's not so much about plagiarizing yourself, though, as it's about pushing for new research territory. In a related issue, when preparing the literature list for your master thesis, you're not allowed to include books and texts that you have previously used in other courses. Yes, of course you may reference them in your thesis (especially if the books are relevant for your topic), but that comes IN ADDITION to or OUTSIDE the given number of pages that should only contain NEW literature on the subject.

I encountered this problem myself when I was master student, because I had used all these film music books for a self-driven course and when I was going to write my master thesis - also about film music - I couldn't use any of them on my main literature list!! Quite frustrating. Of course, I managed to fill up the list anyway, especially with books and texts from other relevant disciplines AND use those film music books IN ADDITION to them, but it wasn't an ideal situation.

Anyways, I'm drifting off-topic again...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, what you're saying is quite interesting Thor as i am into this kind of situations right now, setting up my literature lists, researching and all. Quite interesting.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    A Little Romance was delivered yesterday. The liner notes freely acknowledge that Delarue used Vivaldi for the "love theme" cues. I'm assuming that he used the piece - rather than writing his own love theme - because Vivaldi was born in Venice, and the love story of the film involves a legend that if lovers kiss under a particular bridge in Venice their love will last forever. This makes sense.

The original music is lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009
    I still think you can reuse your own material.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    djdave wrote
    A Little Romance was delivered yesterday. The liner notes freely acknowledge that Delarue used Vivaldi for the "love theme" cues. I'm assuming that he used the piece - rather than writing his own love theme - because Vivaldi was born in Venice, and the love story of the film involves a legend that if lovers kiss under a particular bridge in Venice their love will last forever. This makes sense.

The original music is lovely.

I feel the Academy voted for Vivaldi. slant A composer of the greatness of Delerue should have won a statue for one of his original brilliant scores of which there were many year after year.

IMO 1979 was Goldsmith's year with Star Trek The Motion Picture, there's barely any scores in the history of film that can stand worthily with this one on it's incredibly lofty perch.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What we need is a list of worthy Oscar losers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Goldsmith's The Motion Picture would be right up there with the best of them, that's for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Add Gone With The Wind
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    Oscar worthy losers -> Superman, Raiders and The Empire Strikes Back... 'nuff said!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    [What Erik said... particularly Empire]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Oscar worthy losers -> Superman, Raiders and The Empire Strikes Back... 'nuff said!

-Erik-

Along with Star Trek TMP I would add Morricone's THE MISSION as a seriously bad oversight.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009
    The Sand Pebbles, Rebecca
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The Sand Pebbles, Rebecca

I would also add the fact that not one Barry Bond song collaboration ever got a nod.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The only thing I can say is that Barry has had his fair share of Oscars.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The only thing I can say is that Barry has had his fair share of Oscars.

For sure Tom but that still doesn't mean he shouldn't have been nominated!? In particular We Have All The Time In The World, a true evergreen that far trancends the film ( OHMSS ) it was written for.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Jerry Goldsmith was robbed many many many times.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We can just say that there are many like Goldsmith. Look at Friedhofer as an example. How about Thomas Newman. How about James Newton Howard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    moonie wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith was robbed many many many times.

He absolutely deserved more than one measly Oscar considering the amount of times he was nominated, it puts things in perspective.

On the other hand Goldsmith's hero Alex North never got a score Oscar, neither did Morricone though as he's still alive there is still a future possibility.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009
    So far Newman and Howard are shut out also