• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I love pizzicato and I thought it would be fun to have a thread focussing on tracks which use it to great effect. Not pieces where it is used briefly as a kind of flourish of orchestration but rather pieces of music to which pizzicato is an integral part. Two absolute classics which immediately spring to mind are 'Late for Work' from Gremlins and 'Luke's Nocturnal Visitor' from The Empire Strikes Back. More recent examples I've really enjoyed are 'Door Jam' from Beltrami's Knowing and 'Close Shave' from Newman's Skyfall. Does anyone have any other favourites?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013
    "Nocturnal Activities" from Temple of Doom.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I imagine Williams might come up a lot here.

"My Dad's Stories" from ANGELA'S ASHES
  3. The Green Mile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    "Nocturnal Activities" from Temple of Doom.

First one in my mind as well. biggrin

Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Green Mile.

GOOD call!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. When we are at Thomas Newman - Meet Maguire from Road to Perdition.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I love pizzicato too! smile

What came to my mind first was Hans Zimmer's Spanglish, and then Pascal Gaigne's Azul Oscuro Casi Negro (Dark Blue Almost Black).
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013
    Hans Zimmer came to your mind?!? shocked
    Imagine that!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Immediately when I saw the word pizzicato my thoughts went to the third movement of Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...but then that wouldn't be a pizzicato in FILM music, Tom! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I know my friend but it is the first one that came to my mind.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, mickey-mousing! Everywhere! Any score smile Oh and Giacchino's amazing RATATOUILLE with its charming arrangements and pizzicati!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Martijn wrote
    Imagine that!

Actually the pizzicato parts in Spanglish belong to his best written material on any level, I believe.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Also, Lemony Snicket.

Horner wrote a cute pizzicato piece for Spider-Man. Pretty nice considering he doesn't write in that style much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Imagine that!

Actually the pizzicato parts in Spanglish belong to his best written material on any level, I believe.

Learning English?
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Also, Lemony Snicket.

Horner wrote a cute pizzicato piece for Spider-Man. Pretty nice considering he doesn't write in that style much.

Ah yeah, excellent !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's bits of pizzicato in various parts of this track that I'm playing in real time on my stereo right now cool

THE CHESS GAME

And a really gorgeous track it is too!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Miya wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Imagine that!

Learning English?

Not sure, what's wrong, really - oh, now I get it! smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Listening Herrmann's Psycho at the moment, I'd forgotten how reliant the composer is on pizzicato - it's featured throughout the score! I suppose with his reliance on strings pizzicato is so pronounced because it adds to the tools he has to hand for the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening Herrmann's Psycho I suppose with his reliance on strings pizzicato is so pronounced because it adds to the tools he has to hand for the score.

I often use 'Psycho' and 'Jason and the Argonauts' as examples of Herrmann's versatility, one written entirely for strings, one entirely without, both absolute masterpieces. His command of the orchestra was nothing short of genius.