• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    I just stumbled onto a Best of 2010 list that called Powell's How to Train Your Dragon "perfect." Then it went ahead and ranked it below Space Battleship Yamato by a certain Naoki Sato anyway. On a whim I decided to see what could be better than perfect, and... welcome to the world of Sato. If you haven't heard his stuff you are missing out.

I'm a little behind, I see some folks have been raving about him in Now Listening for a while. I've begun exploring his other works--Ryomaden, The Silver Season, Eureka Seven...-- and this guy definitely needs his own topic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    Also, I need to know where to start. Space Battleship Yamato is fantastic. Ryomaden is incredible. Where to from there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013 edited
    Have a listen to Priceless HERE! It's fucking awful in the TV show but the music is absolutely wonderful on its own. By the way, the score was on my Top 10 list before I saw the show. slant

Also check out Tsunagu, which I only heard a few months ago. If I had of heard it earlier on 2012 it might have made my Top 10 list.

Heroic Age from 2007 is also awesome!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013 edited
    His best score in my opinion is Ballad: Namonaki Koi no Uta. I strongly recommend you this score. It has a gorgeous main theme and some great percussions action music.
  1. I was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to listen to Sato's latest, Kano? If not, check it out - it's a gooder. It's for a Taiwanese baseball movie, but Sato being Sato, that doesn't stop him writing a huge, over-the-top score. It basically alternates between big, bright brass fanfares with lots of snare rhythms (the game music) and warm melodic piano and strings (the dramatic stuff). There's one cue ("The Temperature of the Sun") that comes out of nowhere sounding like a country-rock instrumental and doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the score, but it's easily skipped over. The rest of the album is just pure feel-good music from beginning to end. Not the most memorable, perhaps, but still a solid four-star score nonetheless. Check it out!

Oh, and here's a sample.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014
    I had never heard anything of the composer untill I got three promo albums last year -- PRICELESS, TSUNAGU and UNMEI NO HITO. I loved all of them for different reasons, so anything by that guy is interesting to me now.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to listen to Sato's latest, Kano? If not, check it out - it's a gooder. It's for a Taiwanese baseball movie, but Sato being Sato, that doesn't stop him writing a huge, over-the-top score. It basically alternates between big, bright brass fanfares with lots of snare rhythms (the game music) and warm melodic piano and strings (the dramatic stuff). There's one cue ("The Temperature of the Sun") that comes out of nowhere sounding like a country-rock instrumental and doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the score, but it's easily skipped over. The rest of the album is just pure feel-good music from beginning to end. Not the most memorable, perhaps, but still a solid four-star score nonetheless. Check it out!

Oh, and here's a sample.

Waiting for it to become available on iTunes here in the UK...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014
    i also like the music by naoki sato. my first score was Giniro No Season. a score for a ski sports movie with fantastic themes. here is a good sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d3FURSFIWk

some other great scores are

Sword Of The Stranger (great score for a great anime)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITgcfL2alg0

K-20: Legend Of The Mask (cool superhero score)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2pNNnd7HZA
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to listen to Sato's latest, Kano? If not, check it out - it's a gooder. It's for a Taiwanese baseball movie, but Sato being Sato, that doesn't stop him writing a huge, over-the-top score. It basically alternates between big, bright brass fanfares with lots of snare rhythms (the game music) and warm melodic piano and strings (the dramatic stuff). There's one cue ("The Temperature of the Sun") that comes out of nowhere sounding like a country-rock instrumental and doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the score, but it's easily skipped over. The rest of the album is just pure feel-good music from beginning to end. Not the most memorable, perhaps, but still a solid four-star score nonetheless. Check it out!

Oh, and here's a sample.

When I saw the track titles I thought the baseball-oriented cover art must be wrong and it's some kind of sci-fi film about a solar disaster... biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Oh, and here's a sample.

i had also the chance to listen to this music. sato wrote very lovely themes and the softer/emotional moments sound fantastic. i also love the track Belle Epoque with the female vocals. awesome. i just think, the game music is a lil bit weak, because its missing excitment in comparison to other sato action pieces. i don't need bombastic music, but these parts missing the goal a lil bit like for example christophe becks music for We Are Marshall. nonetheless a fine thematic score by sato.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2024
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024
    I can appreciate what Sato was doing in the new GODZILLA -- contemporary, classical music tropes, a bit like Goldenthal, but somehow it didn't engage me that much. Also, the Ifukube inserts feel forced and alienating. But hey -- a definite runner-up from last year.
    I am extremely serious.