• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    - The Day the Earth Stood Still

Thanks for hosting yet another review of mine, Thomas! beer

no problem, you definitely listened to my advice, very nice work here beer
    keep up the good work of beating a score to the death

Well, I tried to make this one at least a bit longer; I think it is more the scores with a bazillion tracks such as Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and this one which I tend to struggle most with. As I feel it would take an eternity to detail each individual track, I tend to group them based on overall sound and mood. As I move onto reviewing shorter CDs, my reviews will likely become much more focused and descriptive. But reviewing thirty or so tracks - regardless of their lengths - is a daunting task, to say the least. But with all that aside, I really do appreciate the opportunity to get some of my reviews hosted here! beer And I love beating scores to death. biggrin

You will learn that not all tracks must be commented on, just the ones that matter.

Good point. I never really thought about that. smile

first I say write longer, you do it
    then I say do not comment everything, I must make you quite dizzy cheesy

You do. dizzy But don't worry; I am currently getting over a nasty case of the stomach flu. sad I'm used to feeling sick as of late.
  1. allright who has given Doomsday so little and Babylon so much?

Have you actually heard them, or are you just loathing whatever Bates score that comes to mind, despite if it's actually good?

Take way the first 2 tracks of Babylon and you have The Day the Earth stood Still
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well, I tried to make this one at least a bit longer; I think it is more the scores with a bazillion tracks such as Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and this one which I tend to struggle most with. As I feel it would take an eternity to detail each individual track, I tend to group them based on overall sound and mood. As I move onto reviewing shorter CDs, my reviews will likely become much more focused and descriptive. But reviewing thirty or so tracks - regardless of their lengths - is a daunting task, to say the least. But with all that aside, I really do appreciate the opportunity to get some of my reviews hosted here! beer And I love beating scores to death. biggrin

You will learn that not all tracks must be commented on, just the ones that matter.

William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You will learn that not all tracks must be commented on, just the ones that matter. Of course if an album carries that many good tracks, then that's different wink

And I love beating trash as well, Babylon is fairly good at that point smile

Yay, quoting long posts! Yay!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You will learn that not all tracks must be commented on, just the ones that matter. Of course if an album carries that many good tracks, then that's different wink

This is getting ridiculous.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Indeed it is. slant (tongue)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Indeed it is. slant (tongue)

You sure?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The whole TYLER BATES' thread turned tits. No surprise.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    The whole TYLER BATES' thread turned tits. No surprise.

Any chance you could close it down and wipe it from the memory for the good of all mankind?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If someone finds a way to do that with the man himself and his..."music", then yes! wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    If someone finds a way to do that with the man himself and his..."music", then yes! wink biggrin

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    You sure?

I'm sure. wink
  3. I find it very troublesome that Doomsday is almost as low rated as The Day the Earth Stood still, I know there's a lot of hate towards Bates music, but these 2 are not in the same league. I'm not saying Doomsday is good, I'm saying it is nowhere near as bad. And the rating makes it believe that

I'm beginning to think some guys rate Bates music as low as possible, whether or not they have even heard it sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I find it very troublesome that Doomsday is almost as low rated as The Day the Earth Stood still, I know there's a lot of hate towards Bates music, but these 2 are not in the same league. I'm not saying Doomsday is good, I'm saying it is nowhere near as bad. And the rating makes it believe that

I'm beginning to think some guys rate Bates music as low as possible, whether or not they have even heard it sad

I don't know about those guys but i've heard everything he has written to date After Slither and my God, he certainly makes it down there with the team that should make us all a favor and change profession. No excuses.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I find it very troublesome that Doomsday is almost as low rated as The Day the Earth Stood still, I know there's a lot of hate towards Bates music, but these 2 are not in the same league. I'm not saying Doomsday is good, I'm saying it is nowhere near as bad. And the rating makes it believe that

I don't know about those guys but i've heard everything he has written to date After Slither and my God, he certainly makes it down there with the team that should make us all a favor and change profession. No excuses.

do you really think Doomsday is that bad?
    I don't, perhaps it's because it reminds me of the Carpenter scores
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009 edited
    Yes. If one tells me one good reason why we should be forgiving on such mediocrity when they get paid thousand of dollars to deliver, i am open to listen; another example? The latest XMEN score by HGW. Other able composers are dying for projects in general, imagine what they'd do with such works of this magnitude and all we get is more of the thousand-heard mediocrity. I think it's not us who are ranting the problem, but constantly decreasing in quality bad film music that comes out from major Hollywood assignments. It's outrageous to think that Morricone, Poledouris and Goldsmith - for instance, have produced masterpieces out of incomparably inferior movies in the past.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Yes. If one tells me one good reason why we should be forgiving on such mediocrity when they get paid thousand of dollars to deliver, i am open to listen; another example? The latest XMEN score by HGW. Other able composers are dying for projects in general, imagine what they'd do with such works of this magnitude and all we get is more of the thousand-heard mediocrity. I think it's not us who are ranting the problem, but constantly decreasing in quality bad film music that comes out from major Hollywood assignments.

perhaps, but I don't think you can put that many different sounds in a movie like Doomsday, I received what I was expecting and I wasn't bored with the outcome

Wolverine that's another matter, it was boring and far from good
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    You can do it actually NOT CRAPPY; think of what ALAN SILVESTRI, CHRISTOPHER YOUNG, TREVOR JONES would have done with it; not very far to imagine, right? smile
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    You can do it actually NOT CRAPPY; think of what ALAN SILVESTRI, CHRISTOPHER YOUNG, TREVOR JONES would have done with it; not very far to imagine, right? smile

okay, I know a lot would have done it better, but like I said it, I quite liked it, and thought it was effective and amusing at times

we all differ in taste right
    but still, I wonder if everybody who voted also heard it
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009
    I recently saw THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Lousy movie (can someone please put a restraining order on Keanu Reeves already....he shouldn't be allowed 100 meters within a film set), but the score by Bates wasn't half bad. Quite MV-stylish.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    TYLER BATES SCORE ALBUM FOR ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN II COMES OUT TOMORROW, AUGUST 25TH
    ON BATES’ NEW ABATTOIR RECORDINGS

SOUNDTRACK FEATURES ALL NEW RECORDINGS PLUS UNRELEASED MUSIC FROM ZOMBIE'S FIRST HALLOWEEN MOVIE

MAKE SURE TO VISIT ITUNES TOMORROW TO DOWNLOAD THE SCORE:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143441

Composer Tyler Bates joins Rob Zombie once again in the re-imagining of John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN II. Following the success of Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN, which premiered number one at the box office - breaking all Labor Day Weekend records, is the sequel, HALLOWEEN II, hitting theatres nationwide on August 28, 2009 from Dimension Films. HALLOWEEN II picks up where HALLOWEEN left off, and focuses on the struggles of Laurie Strode (played by Scout Taylor-Compton) and killer Michael Myers (played by Tyler Mane). The film also stars Malcolm McDowell, Sheri Moon Zombie, Brad Dourif, and Danielle Harris.

Tyler Bates once again puts his creative stamp on this classic movie, sharply distinguishing it from its 1978 predecessor. Bates score takes HALLOWEEN to a new level of hellish terror, imbued with the gritty texture of Zombie's realistic depiction of the horrors spilled onscreen by Michael Myers.

The Halloween II Score album is the inaugural release on Bates' new label imprint, Abattoir Recordings, digitally distributed August 25, 2009 by E1 Music. A physical CD release with previously unreleased music will follow with the DVD release of the film. E1 Music will release additional projects from Bates' Abattoir Recordings in 2010.

Tyler Bates has created scores for films such as 300 (2007), The Watchmen (2009), Slither (2006), See No Evil (2005), The Devil's Rejects (2005), Dawn of the Dead (2004) and many more. Make sure to hear Bates’ music in Showtime’s hit series Californication, in its 3rd season this fall..

For more info visit:
    http://www.tylerbates.com
    http://www.halloween2-movie.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

Tyler Bates once again puts his creative stamp on this classic movie, sharply distinguishing it from its 1978 predecessor. Bates score takes HALLOWEEN to a new level of hellish terror, imbued with the gritty texture of Zombie's realistic depiction of the horrors spilled onscreen by Michael Myers.

I love the bit I've coloured red!
  7. Crap Records would have been mroe apt. With different types of releases, like FSM has "Retrograde", Bates could have Plagiarismgrade.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN II? Tyler Bates? This paragraph in essence contains so much crap that it's almost certain it'll crash the forum!
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN II? Tyler Bates? This paragraph in essence contains so much crap that it's almost certain it'll crash the forum!

at least he has a great theme to work with
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    Back with a new format for anyone interested, 2-paragraph movie/score capsule reviews:

WATCHMEN
    http://christodoulides.blogspot.com/200 … chmen.html

Many others to follow (don't be afraid, they're not from Tyler Bates wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks James my friend! The only way survivable for me is this new format, what do you think of it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Very good. Exactly what I like to see. No waffle, just gets straight to the point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks! Your input means a lot! beer