• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Did anyone have a View-Master?

Looking through all the reels that have been available over the years I am surprised by the breadth of topics that were/are available! I remember only having non-fiction topics. I particularly remember a set I had that featured underwater animals.

Oh yes, I had that!

With Disney slides -- THE JUNGLE BOOK, TODD & COPPER, DUMBO were among those I remember. You looked through that while you played a cassette audio story (based on the films).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I had that, too!

I had reels from "Winnetou", with Lex Barker and Pierre Briece, "The Rescuers" and "UFO":

http://digilander.libero.it/guido_1953/ … ase-12.jpg
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Now that's making good use of 3D technology!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Looking through all the reels that have been available over the years I am surprised by the breadth of topics that were/are available! I remember only having non-fiction topics. I particularly remember a set I had that featured underwater animals.

Yesss! My Maya the Bee slides were my favourite!

On topic as well: a colleague posted a photo on fb of her daughter who had found a typewriter at her grandma's house and loves it! I remember having a typewriter too and I was addicted to it. I was 11-12 years old I think.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I had a typewriter at around the same age too, I loved it and wrote on it all the time though I can't remember anything I actually wrote.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I remember what I wrote and I even kept some of it. When we moved years ago I went through some boxes and found some of the typed stuff. Mostly analyses of my school friends and classmates like who had a crush on who, and who had a fight with who so basically a diary of the social relations in my group haha

I also remember writing an adventure story, just with ink on paper, and I read to my sister what I wrote each day and she thought it was good and exciting! But I never found those papers again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin cool

Though I don't remember any of what I wrote I suspect it was grisly, horrific stories involving aliens and monsters and robots.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Oh my word! Yes!
    I had some Disney-related ones (I remember one of Donald Duck thinking having struck gold, inadvertently breaking into Uncle Scrooge's money warehouse and being presented with a massive bill for repairs), but mostly it's non-fiction for me too. There was a set of the seven wonders of the world, but it was presented in three parts: the 'classic ones' (the colossus of Rhodos, the hanging gardens of Babylon, et cetera), but then there was a set of the seven *natural* wonders of the world (I only remember the giant California redtrees from that set), and the seven wonders of teh modern world (I only remember orbital satellites from that set).

Damn, going through that site, I sure would have liked this set.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. David writes stuff. And it is all about death & horror!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    David writes stuff. And it is all about death & horror!

biggrin Bless! It's possibly what all little boys do.
  4. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    David writes stuff. And it is all about death & horror!

biggrin Bless! It's possibly what all little boys do.

It may be what all little boys do but it's not all little boys do. Apparently! wink
  5. Bregje wrote
    I remember what I wrote and I even kept some of it. When we moved years ago I went through some boxes and found some of the typed stuff. Mostly analyses of my school friends and classmates like who had a crush on who, and who had a fight with who so basically a diary of the social relations in my group haha

Well, that would have qualified you for the secret service, or wouldn't it? Observing people and writing dossiers and stuff? :non-existend spy emoticon:

I also remember writing an adventure story, just with ink on paper, and I read to my sister what I wrote each day and she thought it was good and exciting! But I never found those papers again.

I had a type writer, too, a mechanical one first and an electric later. I remember exatly what I wrote and I - too - still have some of that stuff: A space opera series revolving around Major Eike van Helder and his crew of special agents and their spaceship Amazing Starlight. It all was modelled after Captain Future - who would ever have guessed?! wink

"Major Eike van Helder": I was determined that my space hero would NOT have an English name.
    - "Major" denotes "Major Tom" of David Bowie and Peter Schilling fame.
    - "Eike" is a boy's and sometimes a girl's name, that is common in northern Germany.
    - "van Helder": My hero was born on the coast of the German north sea, yet his ancestors were from the Netherlands. The name derives from the city den Helder. Also the name includes the German word "Held" for "hero".

So, Major van Helder and his crew went off with their ship "Amazing Starlight" and saved the Galaxy over and over again. I miss the unrestrained, playful fantasy of my 12 year olf former self!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013
    I had these and more...

AURORA PREHISTORIC SCENES

I used to love making and painting these kits, I think I changed the Allosaurus colour scheme multiple times.

They're not very accurate but hell, this was the early 1970's and these things fired up my imagination.
  6. I don't remember these at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013
    Not even in their BOXES?
  7. Nope. Not even in their boxes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013
    Not even in their boxes?
    Not even with their foxes?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    I had these and more...

AURORA PREHISTORIC SCENES

I used to love making and painting these kits, I think I changed the Allosaurus colour scheme multiple times.

They're not very accurate but hell, this was the early 1970's and these things fired up my imagination.

This links in with Ray Harryhausen, it was the nearest ( a 'sad' nearest ) I could get to getting my hands on Ray's lovely and fully poseable models that would taunt me remorselessly every time I saw some documentary on how Ray made his movie magic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013
    Quinn has been cleaning her room and many toys are in the bin now. We keep the good stuff in boxes, we throw away the cheap and broken stuff. Throwing stuff away is getting easier and easier for me.

There were some old Barbies and furniture that were mine and my sisters when we were young! She wants it back, if she hadn't said that I would have thrown it away. I feel less and less attached to stuff and that feels good, it feels really clear and clean and empty in a good way, in the house and in the mind.

By the way, Quinn never played with the Barbies or other dolls. Never.
    Only LEGO, Playmobile and all kinds of animals, plastic animals, pluche animals.