• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013 edited
    In October, the 40th Film Festival of Ghent presents several film music events:

Behind The Scenes '40 Years Film Fest Gent'
    Handelsbeurs – 16 October – 17u30
    http://www.filmfestival.be/en/concerts/ … on-/8#info

40 composers wrote one minute for the 40th anniversary of the film festival. Dirk Brossé will conduct the concert. It's a guests only event, but they made available tickets for the rehearsal! Tickets cost 10EUR and can be bought via the link above. Many of the composers who wrote 1 minute will be at the concert.

The 40 composers who wrote 1 minute are ... shocked
    Craig Armstrong, David Arnold, Angelo Badalamenti, Klaus Badelt, Dirk Brossé, Bruno Coulais, Mychael Danna, Frédéric Devreese, Pino Donaggio, Patrick Doyle, George Fenton, Elliot Goldenthal, Andrés Goldstein, Paul Grabowsky, Harry Gregson-Williams, Alex Heffes, James Newton Howard, Jan A. P. Kaczmarek, Tuomas Kantelinen, Abel Korzeniowski, Jérôme Lemonnier, Clint Mansell, Dario Marianelli, Gary Marlowe, Wim Mertens, Cyril Morin, Jef Neve, Adam Nordén, Antonio Pinto, Rachel Portman, John Powell, Philippe Rombi, Gustavo Santaolalla, Howard Shore, Daniel Tarrab, Shigeru Umebayashi, Fernando Velazquez, Stephen Warbeck, Steve Willaert en Sergey Yevtushenko.

Not all of them will be there but some of them will attend the concert and rehearsal.

Concert ‘Martin Scorsese’
    17 October at the Bijloke in Ghent

Concert with music from Scorsese movies, both original compositions and existing pieces that he used in movies. Music selections span entire career. From Raging Bull to Taxi Driver ...

More info:
    http://www.filmfestival.be/en/concerts/ … ese/1#info

Film music seminary
    18 October

Yearly seminary with one of the attending composers or movie music people in which there's a presentation of the composer and then a Q&A. It's a whole afternoon. With Rachel Portman and Dario Marianelli.

More info;
    http://www.filmfestival.be/nl/educatiev … rie/7#info

7th Heaven (1927) with live score of Kevin Toma
    18 October at Conservatorium

On Friday 18 October Dutch musician and film critic Kevin Toma is returning to Ghent for a new silent film concert (following Hitchcock's The Lodger in 2012). The Ghent Film Festival asked him to compose a new score to Frank Borzage’s silent masterpiece 7th Heaven from 1927 starring the legendary silent film couple Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell. On 18 October you can watch the film accompanied by a live performance by Toma at the Miry Hall of the Ghent Conservatory.

More info:
    http://www.filmfestival.be/en/concerts/ … ven/5#info

John Parish in Concert
    15 October at Conservatory

Best known for his twenty year plus working relationship with PJ Harvey up to and including the 2011 Mercury Prize winning album ‘Let England Shake’; John Parish is also an accomplished film composer, solo artist, producer and collaborator , contributing to albums by among others, Eels, Sparklehorse, 16 Horsepower, Arno, Tracy Chapman, and Howe Gelb/Giant Sand.

Screenplay is drawn from several Parish scores including much of the music from ‘Sister’ and from Patrice Toye’s new film ‘Little Black Spiders’. In 2013, John Parish Band will be performing Screenplay in front of a live projected montage of scenes and images from some of the films.

Parish has just finished producing the new album by Malian singer/songwriter Rokia Traoré, and is currently in Athens, Greece performing live his score for Kireru, a collaboration with Rootlessroot Dance Company at Onassis Cultural Centre.

More info:
    http://www.filmfestival.be/en/concerts/ … ert/9#info

Composer Meet & Greet
    1PM at Kinepolis

With Alexandre Desplat, Riz Ortolani, Brian Byrne, Mychael Danna, Thomas Newman, Dario Marianelli, nominees for WSA Discovery Award, finalists of composition contest.

TO SUBSCRIBE:
    PM me your WSA ticket number before next Wednesday. That's the only way to subscribe!

World Soundtrack Awards with Alexandre Desplat and Riz Ortolani
    19 October at 't Kuipke in Ghent

The Ghent Film Festival is delighted to welcome the French composer Alexandre Desplat to the traditional film music concert during the second part of the World Soundtrack Academy award ceremony which will bring the 40th film festival to a festive end. This year's Lifetime Achievement Award goes to the Italian composer Riz Ortolani.

More info:
    http://www.filmfestival.be/en/concerts/ … ert/6#info

Guests for last few days of the festival:
    Alexandre Desplat
    Riz Ortolani
    Thomas Newman
    Mychael Danna
    Benjamin Wallfisch
    Dan Romer
    Dirk Brossé
    Laurent Eyquem
    Jérôme Lemonnier
    Albert Márkos
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013 edited
    I'd say that it's awesome that Desplat returns for a whole concert but it's only 4 or 5 years ago! Back then, this was a very fine programme so I hope other selections are made for this upcoming concert. I don't mind him returning but an other name would've been great too. I can imagine people not attending because of this. Looking forward to the Scorsese concert too!

It also means I will be in London for the Elfman concert!
    Kazoo
  1. Good luck with those two concerts!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013
    After Donaggio another good Italian composer to be heard in concert smile

Tempted for the Scorsese concert, you reckon he will attend it as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I never heard of this Italian guy. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Notes to self -
    1. Book time off work
    2. Buy easily removable shoes
    3. Put name on list for replacement liver
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    applause
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Bregt wrote
    I never heard of this Italian guy. smile

I know him mostly from the Italian horror & exploitation scene, Tarantino recently used his music for Django:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0dqQ-8FOII

Lucio Fulci's Don't Torture a Duckling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdUB9MhojEo

And then there's the controversial Cannibal Holocaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JfJ4UCZfgA
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks! Except for the last one, which is rather unlistenable at times, it's all very cool music actually. Very Italian indeed. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't know that much Ortolani, but from the few I have, I really, really love War Goddess, which everyone should buy immediately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I'll be passing over this year. Not a big fan of Desplat, nor Ortolani. Scorsese is a great director, but I've never been particularly drawn to his scores. Plus, this thing takes place just a week or two after London. The only "draw" for me would have been everyhing AROUND the event itself, i.e. socializing with you guys, going to micro breweries etc.

In any case, I hope to see some of you in London (and Vienna).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Southall wrote
    I don't know that much Ortolani, but from the few I have, I really, really love War Goddess, which everyone should buy immediately.

This isn't the score that has the alternate title(s) of Le Amazzoni or Le Guerriere Dal Seno Nudo? Because the clips for this release are particularly off-putting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazzoni/dp/B00 … s=ortolani
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013 edited
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Two concerts announced for the 40th Film festival of Ghent

Concert with music from Scorsese movies, both original compositions and existing pieces that he used in movies. Music selections span entire career. From Raging Bull to Taxi Driver ...

So, THE ROLLING STONES will be playing then, right? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Bregt wrote
    Two concerts announced for the 40th Film festival of Ghent

World Soundtrack Awards with Alexandre Desplat and Riz Ortolani
    19 October at 't Kuipke in Ghent

Italian composer Ortolani receives a Lifetime Achievement Award. The second part of the WSA event is devoted to the music of Alexandre Desplat.

the guy writes so much new music, you could invite him every 4 years to do a concert around him.

Anyway, kinda disappointed, simply because he's been here only several years ago. Was hoping for someone else, someone who hasn't been here yet. Plus, he's not my favourite composer anyway.

Still, OF COURSE I will be there. Might even be for the concert of Scorcese
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    I will be there too guys!!
    Hope to finally meet some of you
  4. Dennis wrote

cool smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I agree with Thor. Desplat is not really my composer and I have to skip my dad's birthday to go to WSA. Zimmer and James Newton Howard was worth skipping that. Desplat not so much (IMHO)
  5. Caliburn wrote
    I agree with Thor. Desplat is not really my composer and I have to skip my dad's birthday to go to WSA. Zimmer and James Newton Howard was worth skipping that. Desplat not so much (IMHO)

understandable wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Would any other names be attached to the roster later on, you think?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Would any other names be attached to the roster later on, you think?

always possible, but they will get a minor selection then. So who knows
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    There's always a bunch of composers in Ghent, no necessarily for a concert.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Caliburn wrote

understandable wink

Perhaps if you've been at the concert from 5 years ago. But like I said above, it was really an excellent performance and programme, with Desplat conducting himself. I think it's absolutely worth it. But don't tell your dad I said that!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd skip Zimmer ( not JNH though ) for Desplat anytime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I'd skip Zimmer ( not JNH though ) for Desplat anytime.

You should go then!

Or rather, better not....save your money for a future gathering where I will be present too. Are you going to London, by the way?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013
    I will be there. Put some beer in the fridge for me smile

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013
    Dennis wrote

You were there last year too Dennis right? Look forward to meeting you. beer
  7. Cristian wrote
    I will be there. Put some beer in the fridge for me smile

beer

beer excellent
  8. I will probably buy the tickets then in the near future, for those who want all of us to sit together