• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Scribe wrote
    NP: Vikings - Trevor Morris

I suppose there's an enjoyable 30 minutes or so within this ridiculously overlong score, if you like Dark Knight style synth and percussion pounding.

Even the best 30 minutes of this score would be mediocre at very, very best. I mean, Hammer of the Gods was the exact opposite of how I want such things to be scored but it was at least a little bit interesting, dammit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2013
    I probably should have said "vaguely enjoyable"...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013 edited
    NP: TV THEMES (John Williams)

A selfmade playlist of every Williams TV theme I own -- 24 in total. In fact, I'm only missing two -- a more full rendition of BACHELOR FATHER (I only have a 25-second "remix") and KRAFT MYSTERY THEATER (which might be basically the same as the KRAFT SUSPENSE THEATER theme, which I own).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013
    NP: The Last of Us - Gustavo Santaolalla

Has anyone listened to this? The idea of Santaolalla composing for a video game is quite interesting and there's some really beautiful pieces, albeit as minimalist as you would expect from him.
  2. The game and the music have been a piece of exploration for me for ages. It works wonders in context and I just love the thematic approach and the material. Not sure how much of the game's ideas I can spoil, because I don't know how many people are PS3 owners and played/intend to play it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'll definitely be playing it at some point. It's a freakin' zombie game made by Naughty Dog.
  3. Not exactly zombie smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VAMP (Jonathan Elias)

Awesome score with some delicious synth grooves and textures.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. "Knight Rider" (Don Peake), Volume 2:

Good stuff. Here's a sampler:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx9IAMttIBI
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not exactly zombie smile

No, but the game is pretty much a zombie game, whether they're old fashion zombies risen from tombstones or people with a scientifically explained virus. The idea is essentially the same when you're trying to escape them.
  5. Steven wrote
    I'll definitely be playing it at some point. It's a freakin' zombie game made by Naughty Dog.

it is one of the best games I ever played. Brilliant simple concept but with a character development that puts many films to shame. The score's very effective in it too.

Overall knock out game
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. I would even go as far as to say that the whole story is a pretext to show the character development.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Great Gatsby - Craig Armstrong

Well, I have to say that
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...it's a film score, a film score to The Great Gatsby that is by Craig Armstrong, that is what it is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ..Craig Armstrongish.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Kick-Ass 2 - Henry Jackman & Mathew Margeson

Henry have been churning out some excellent scores this year, and this collaboration with Matthew Margeson continues that streak very well. It's very thematic, with lots of strong catchy content. A bit "pop" in the good parts. There are excellent moments in here that makes me happy as a score lover. Of note is the "Justice Forever", which I ADORE the heck out of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm still just listening to Turbo for the first time...there are some nice bits, but seems like way too much mickey-mousing, just like Wreck-It Ralph... I miss the complex harmonies of Winnie The Pooh and wish he would compose for more niche films like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Copperhead by Laurent Eyquem

Unless something surprising comes up in the last third of the year (*waves at Howard Shore*), the main theme of this score might end up as my favorite piece of music of 2013.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2013
    Scribe wrote

Unless something surprising comes up in the last third of the year (*waves at Howard Shore*), the main theme of this score might end up as my favorite piece of music of 2013.

There's actually a theme in it that starts out almost identically to the Shire theme from Lord of the Rings....anyone notice?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Scribe wrote

There's actually a theme in it that starts out almost identically to the Shire theme from Lord of the Rings....anyone notice?

Yes! I thought I was the only one who noticed that....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    I'm still just listening to Turbo for the first time...there are some nice bits, but seems like way too much mickey-mousing, just like Wreck-It Ralph... I miss the complex harmonies of Winnie The Pooh and wish he would compose for more niche films like that.

It's one of the big negative about Turbo, the mickey-mousing is distracting and long-form composition isn't prevalent. Henry can create these very efficient build-ups and have it pay off satisfyingly so, but often time, it get cut off abruptly and kills the mood. Kick-Ass 2 does allow a better resolution to the musical ideas, as you'll find.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    The Great Gatsby - Craig Armstrong

Well, I have to say that

It's the best thing he's written since ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE and that "Dream Violin" is a gorgeous track?

What that what you were going to say?

Just finished up Santoalalla's THE LAST OF US. It's one score I'll happily not be returning to. A couple of guitars plucking away slowly over a bed of soft electronics with the occasional cello solo thrown in. I found it pretty dull.
  7. Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Scribe wrote

Yes! I thought I was the only one who noticed that....

Me too! Me too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2013
    JP: THE GREAT GATSBY -Craig Armstrong

With a film as fragmented as THE GREAT GATSBY in constantly jumping from one popular song to the next, never lingering on some of its better covers of great songs (I'm looking at you, Jack White), I was afraid the score presentation would be just as fragmented. Happily, also thanks to several suite presentations on album, THE GREAT GATSBY is often a delight. Although it could certainly do with a better development of Armstrong's own thematic material, his workings of some of the songs into his score (most notably Lana del Rey's Young & Beautiful and The XX's Forever) work very well and deliver standout moments. Meanwhile Armstrong's score isn't just 'the sad bits', with tracks like 'Let's Go To Town' delivering nice upbeat orchestral moments and interesting colors. But the score is at its best when Armstrong delivers his themes for violin, cello and strings (highlights being 'Dream Violin' and the closing 'Boats Against the Current'). It's these moments that really ground the drama and deliver moments of real poignancy in a film that is full of (deliberate) camp and fakeness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2013 edited
    NP: The Film Music of Malcolm Arnold Vol 1 - Malcolm Arnold

Having just finished watching the classic film I thought I'd throw on the classic score to The Bridge on the River Kwai. I'm currently spinning the stunning suite performed by The London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Richard Hickox.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Film Music of Malcolm Arnold Vol 1 - Malcolm Arnold

Having just finished watching the classic film I thought I'd throw on the classic score to The Bridge on the River Kwai. I'm currently spinning the stunning suite performed by The London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Richard Hickox.

-Erik-

Class! love

Hickox was a great conductor who died far too young.
  8. Karl-May-Melodien - Martin Böttcher

Vintage German western film music from films made in the 1960s with Pierre Briece and Lex Barker.

Not far from where I live they do stage playes based on novels by Karl May on an open air stage that is integrated in the natural invironement. I'll be there with my nice this afternoon.
    Winnetou and Old Shatterhand will once again rescue some innocent settlers and punish the bandits. Dozens of hoses will gallop the stage hither and thither. My nice is loving it.

http://www.nrwhits.de/thumbs/lib/99/80/ … l/8099.jpg

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN (Henry Mancini)

A bit all over the place at times, but when it's swingin', it's really swingin'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Troy - Gabriel Yared

I'd forgotten how good this was. Aside from the awful wailing vocals, this is a truly great score, up there with the classics. 5 stars all the way.