• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013 edited
    We needed a separate thread about both movie and score.

I just came back from a press screening here in Norway (it premieres tomorrow), in 3D for the occasion.

I loved it. However, it was far more Zack Snyder than the Malick-inspired bits in the first trailer (in fact, those clips pretty much make up ALL of the calm, moody bits in the film as a whole). Action extravaganza gone deliciously mad!

The action setpieces are a marvel to watch (the ingenuity and creativity involved are staggering), although it was all too loud for me. Fortunately, I brought earplugs that weeded out the worst frequencies.

Zimmer's score was perfect in context. It may not be an album I'll keep returning to, but in the few moments it was allowed space to breath and not drowned out by sound effects, it shone. Whether it was the major chord leaps in the main hero theme or the soft guitar strummings and piano melody for calmer moments (Kansas, in particular).

I'm now going to write an article for montages.no where I compare the 1978 film and the 2013 film from a musical standpoint. Both have values that are worth pointing out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013
    Couldn't it just have gone in here?

I mean, I don't mind, but is it such a big event (like, say the huge Lord Of The Rings hullaballoo ten years back - has it been ten years? Crikey! shocked ) that it warrants its own thread?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

I mean, I don't mind, but is it such a big event (like, say the huge Lord Of The Rings hullaballoo ten years back - has it been ten years? Crikey! shocked ) that it warrants its own thread?

I think so personally, yes. Especially judging by all the discussions in every single forum I've read.

SUPERMAN is a franchise many of us have a connection to, and this is one of those major 'event' movies, IMO.

I want to click on the Zimmer thread and read about something else than MAN OF STEEL soon.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I have enough of superhero movies!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit: in reply to Martijn

Well, why not? I think the hullabaloo is coming to an end now though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

Don't be silly, there's both Thor 2 and Captain America 2 coming very soon. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote

I'm actually not a fan of superhero movies either. That belongs to my childhood. But that's another reason for 'relegating' the discussion to its own thread, so that it doesn't take over the others.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No, I was just stating a personal fact.
    That hopefully will become part of legislation.
    When my empire is constructed.
    Kazoo
  1. Interestingly, I found the movie emotionally rather empty. It's all big words, virtually no comic relief at all, a major dramatic scene got laughs from the audience (and that was a press showing!) and I got lost in some of the action scenes, as in Snyder couldnt' make things clear.

When it has to the music, I found it mostly... working, with a few moments where it was allowed to shine (actually Goodbye, My Son made me cry; the first flight is, I think scored quite brilliantly, whoever would complain about the cue is structured on album, see the scene and it'll make more sense; I also loved all the final action music, but when the ambient material from the beginning returns, it struck me a bit as odd) and in some cases I found the music somehow inappropriate (there is a piano ostinato that doesn't really sound like being on an alien ship, but rather like Jack Ryan preparing a CIA analysis) and in some cases the internal concept of the music is ruined - especially when a really chamber and beautiful statement of a theme on nothing else than a solo violin (I actually wished that the music would be more allowed to shine through lack of sound effects - I liked how that was done in a scene from Star Trek Into Darkness) suddenly turns into an ostinato-ridden brassy track, which took me out of the movie for a while.

The piano stuff, while really simple, proved my theory that it will work the best in the movie. The most simple concepts are working out.

Oh, and I found the structural idea of the score when it came to the development of the thematic material very sensible, much more coherent than the ideas of developing the material (basically changing chord progressions) in the Dark Knight trilogy. It makes a lot of sense - which material does the Superman theme from and in which scenes it gets developed - it's hardly used in the pure action material (which is quite dark in writing), but is related to major moments of character development.

The other thing that I found very sensible and good in a conceptual sense was that most of the ambient material is related to Krypton and there are two themes for the main character - there is a theme for Kal-El stemming directly from the Krypton ambience and there is the theme for Clark Kent which gets developed into a theme for Superman.

That said, I wish Hans would have addressed the complexity of General Zod better than he did - Zod just has this big theme, but actually I liked the construction of Zod as a villain, he's a bit more complex than whatever Hollywood is trying to do recently and it was maybe my favourite aspect of the movie as a whole.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Every now and again Superman can be a bit of a c**t!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

I think so personally, yes.

Fair enough. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

While Martijn and I still breathe? NEVER!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

What!? He's right, ain't he?
    Supes ALWAYS tells the truth!

Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

While Martijn and I still breathe? NEVER!!!!

Bregt's empire will mainly consist of the small island of Elba.
    Where he will be guarded by cats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BIG cats that'll tear his bona parte.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

What!? He's right, ain't he?
    Supes ALWAYS tells the truth!

I'm all for superheroes metting out rough justice but this is Supes, he allowed an Earthling to absorb so much power he ends up blowing himself to pieces. What a git!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was recently discussing Herrmann and the thought occurred to me what he could have done with this.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The other question is would he want to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If he were given carte blanche I think he would. He tackled some fantasy scores.
    Tom smile
  2. I am trying to think whether Herrmann wrote for any films that were so furious in their pace as today's "action blockbusters". Even the Harryhausen fantasy films were not as frenetic.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am trying to think whether Herrmann wrote for any films that were so furious in their pace as today's "action blockbusters". Even the Harryhausen fantasy films were not as frenetic.

I'm trying to think whether there were any films during Herrmann's lifetime that were anywhere near as furious in their pace as today's "action blockbusters".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't think so. Different time, different audiences, different aesthetic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can't think of one except the Harryhausen material.
    Tom smile
  4. Thor wrote

Aesthetics trained and refined by classical training, composers deeply rooted in the symphonic tradition, times when learned people were not afraid to make a clear distinction between what is good and what is bad music.

Times gone by.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Aesthetics trained and refined by classical training, composers deeply rooted in the symphonic tradition, times when learned people were not afraid to make a clear distinction between what is good and what is bad music.

Times gone by.

I wouldn't quite put it as absolutely as all that.
    After all, people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

Yeah.
    Anyway.
    Nothing is destroyed, nothing is created, and it will all come around again.
    Yeah.
  5. I agree of course.
    Yet sometimes I need a degree of self-carthasis.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    skyfall
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Props to the evil overlord who changed the thread's title.
    Mad ninja skills, yo! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The dyslexic in me didn't even notice. biggrin
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am trying to think whether Herrmann wrote for any films that were so furious in their pace as today's "action blockbusters". Even the Harryhausen fantasy films were not as frenetic.

I'm trying to think whether there were any films during Herrmann's lifetime that were anywhere near as furious in their pace as today's "action blockbusters".

While none of them are Joel Silver-style action fests, Orson Welles films are cut pretty frenetically. The music tends to be a stabilising influence in them.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am