• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Props to the evil overlord who changed the thread's title.
    Mad ninja skills, yo! biggrin

First thing I noticed biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I saw MAN OF STEEL tonight.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Does that feature music by Thomas Newman, written for SKYFALL?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. I wonder why no one yet talked about that new score from that german composer, Hansi Schwimmer something. I hear it´s for a big budget spandex hero movie thingy, Man on Heels something...

Oh, wait, I think I got it all wrong. It was Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013 edited
    Alright, I get the point.

Since the MOS discussion is still going strong in the Zimmer thread, and this one is mostly off-topic with jokes and even thread title changes (Bregt, was that you? Martijn?), maybe it was a bad idea in the first place. My intentions were good, though -- I wanted to contain it as much as I wanted to discuss it (my interest isn't that big either -- despite liking the film).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor, it's just poking. No worries about this thread! This is MT after all. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I'm too serious for MT. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Don´t you dare delete this thread. I´m gonna see the movie on Friday night and will tell you all about it after the WE. ^^ It´s just too early.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Did anyone here the "uh ooh" (child?) in the second track? Around 00:30.

It freaked me out!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    YES! I thought it was an error in the recording!
    VERY weird!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The 'uh-oh' is heard at the very end of the (extremely long) end credits of the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ah, it is to warn us for an extremely long end credits!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    MAN OF STEEL

flash SOME MILD SPOILERS AHEAD flash

Both Mel and I came out of this very disappointed.

There's already been too many reviews of this film so I'll just keep it to what I did and didn't like...

:likes:

Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent, a fine turn but used too little.

Clark Kent takes revenge on a trucker in what is an obvious homage to Superman II

That woman who plays Zod's right hand m....woman ( hot! lick )

A great flying sequence where Supes rejoices in his power of flight

Clark Kent not appearing until the end of the film is a nice touch

:dislikes:

The film was too long by at least 40 minutes

Zod. Great face but crap dialogue, Terence Stamp still rules.

All the mass destruction....PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

Super-fights that were an edited blur of a mess

Shaky cam in various sequences....very VERY annoying

Clark Kent goes to see the Padre and tell him he is the superman Zod is looking for, the Padre just believes him without proof. We live in a world of nutters and they would have all crawled out of the woodwork after Zod's ultimatum to mankind.

...oh another building is toppling over sleep

Hans Zimmer's incessant bloody score, nothing but SYNTHESIZERS* and POUNDING DRUMS with no soul releasing conclusion to any of it, I felt like I was being held prisoner in the ruddy phantom zone by Zimmer's dreadfully inappropriate score.

*YES, I know it's "orchestral" but I honestly don't see why Hans bothers other than to keep orchestral players in employment, this score, other than a bit of piano and a solo violin for the destruction of Krypton ( not only is that music playing against the scene not new but it was also a bad choice in this film ) and those incessant ruddy drums this score sounded all synth, I was actually taken out of the film by Zimmer's score a number of times, even Mel mentioned how much she found the music irritating and Mel almost never mentions the music in her critique of films.

Film: 2/10

Score: 1/10 ( just for that heroic statement from the trailer that is heard at the end of the film when Clark Kent appears for the first time, a nice little touch I thought. )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the review, Tim. Although we differ in our assessment of both film and score, you make some good points.

Personally, I think one needs to embrace Zack Snyder's style to properly 'get' the film. He likes to bathe in excessive form, and I love the powerful, experience-oriented ideology there. He's not really a narrative director, he's more concerned with creating worlds and action setpieces and a myriad of visual ideas inside those. I really dig that. And I thought Zimmer's score was perfect for that kind of visual style.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013 edited
    Here's my Montages.no article where I compare the Williams with the Zimmer -- on the respective films' OWN terms!:

http://montages.no/2013/06/supermann-mu … 8-vs-2013/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013
    Hmmmm, i am interested in seeing the film but i think cinema is way too expensive for all these mixed reviews. I think i'll wait to download it.

Maybe on a smaller screen i'll focus less on his man sized package...
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sarah wrote
    Hmmmm, i am interested in seeing the film but i think cinema is way too expensive for all these mixed reviews. I think i'll wait to download it.

Maybe on a smaller screen i'll focus less on his man sized package...

Ooo er spin biggrin

I didn't like it much personally. ( the film, I didn't look at his package )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm looking forward to his package!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I've seen him.

Something is wrong with the story in the beginning, no flow at all. I mean when the story on Earth starts. The actual beginning was cool. Basically I loved everything that happened outside of earth atmosphere.

Too loud, too much destroyed. Not enough involvement. Some parts were funny, but not meant to be.

Cavill did great. He is pretty. But even prettier as Henry Cavill with less muscles and with British accent haha.

The score was underwhelming. Something was missing all the time. Except for the end and end titles. Perhaps its no coincidence that then I got the feeling the story got started.
  4. I have no idea what it is about people and their expectations. The movie was a spectacle in every sense. I refuse to go into detail here because to me it´s a complete package with no weak points whatsoever. It´s not only a good superhero movie, it´s a great Superman movie, which is something we didn´t have for a long, long time. And yes, that includes the score. I´m really beginning to wonder what the fuck has to happen on screen for people to be completely happy about a blockbuster movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I have no idea what it is about people and their expectations. The movie was a spectacle in every sense. I refuse to go into detail here because to me it´s a complete package with no weak points whatsoever. It´s not only a good superhero movie, it´s a great Superman movie, which is something we didn´t have for a long, long time. And yes, that includes the score. I´m really beginning to wonder what the fuck has to happen on screen for people to be completely happy about a blockbuster movie.

To me this sounds you wonder what more do people want. But my point was I want a little less of certain things. The fights, the action, the destruction, it took a bit too long sometimes and I noticed myself thinking: OK I get it, they fight again, now let's move on.

What I want in a movie is a natural flow. If the flow is balanced, you hardly notice it. If it's not, it 's like something is not right. I had that feeling a couple of time especially at the beginning ( on earth). Like scenes were cut or just transistions I noticed as weird.

So, some people are completely happy, some people are really unhappy, some people a little bit of both. I enjoyed it and the many good things it had, but to me it wasn't flawless. I did have a good time you know. And that's all OK right?

Oh, one more thing about expectations. I was trailer spoilt. I promised myself to never watch more than two trailers because the trailers have a much better flow and stronger emotional effect than the movie itself. I think I've seen five trailers, twelve TV spots and two Now Playing spots. After TV spot seven I already knew I had enough and I knew I had seen it all, but still... So yes, this does something to expectations I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013 edited
    First of all, thanks for getting into the details.

As to the specific points you make, they are all, in a certain sense, right . I agree that there is a lot more action than we´re used to get in most superhero movies. The flow is different at some points, which happens when you cut back and forth between flashbacks and the present; and of course it does harm the fun to know too much about a movie by watching all the stuff that´s released beforehands.

But for me all those points are no real weaknesses.

Too much action in a Superman movie is kind of a luxury I´m happy to finally get, if just to forget all those abysmal Superman series of the past where they tried to cover the fact that they couldn´t have good or lots of FX work by just focusing on the teenage years or the love story between Lois & Clark instead of the Man of Steel in action. Because that´s what Superman comics actually are about, Superman in action.

Which brings me to point two. The movie is structured that way to avoid an hour of Clark growing up before something big finally happens. I´ll give you that the ride is a bit bumpy, but nevertheless way more exciting than the other way around.

Third, of course it´s okay to have a good time. But then say so and don´t focus on all the stuff you didn´t like. If you had a good time in general, then why not tell us about all the stuff you loved? Why all the negativity?

Please don´t take this the wrong way, I´m not trying to single you out or something. I just answer to you directly because you answered to me first. I could do this with almost every critique that´s out there, and guys like Erik know my philosophy for some time now: When I see a movie and want to talk about it later, I tend to look for all the stuff I liked, because I see no reason why I should ruin the fun of a good experience all by myself by focusing on the bad stuff. Hate the story of Star Wars Ep.1? What about the flawless design work? Focus on that one. Just enjoy the good view.

My point is, there is no flawless movie. If you want to find bad things, you´ll find them. But people´s expectations are astronomical now. If they would have shown us a movie like Man of Steel fifty years ago, it would have been the most amazing experience ever. And stuff like that is what we get every week now, sometimes even on TV. People are simply filled and stuffed. That doesn´t make the movies bad.

The other week I read an article about all the plotholes and scientific mistakes in Star Trek Into Darkness. They were all valid, but missing the point. So the Enterprise actually can´t stay underwater. So what? Warp tech doesn´t actually work in the first place, too. "Spock´s Brain", everyone? I don´t watch Star Trek for a science lesson, but for having a great time watching Spock being a cool hardass, McCoy bitching about everything, and Kirk holding all that shit together, while a starship called Enterprise soars in space on mighty wings. And that´s what I got. Big time. A fantastic movie. Only this time they even didn´t forget about the stuff that made TV Trek so great, having a valid story about preemptive strikes, terrorism, and the change of politics in the face of dark times.

I´m not talking about not realising the missteps a movie makes. I talk about just ignoring those and instead appreciating the things a movie does right.

One more point about experience: Watching trailers and spots is a choice. If you know watching them can ruin a movie experience for you, just don´t. My daughter didn´t want to get spoiled for a single bit of the new Trek. And she perfectly managed to do that, even if it meant to close her eyes for a minute or two when a trailer was unavoidable.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing. Shouldn´t movies be better? Of course they should. They could always be better. They should strife for better stories, realistic science, perfect flows, perfect music, perfect acting... the list goes on. And yes, there should be discussions about simplifications and plotholes and brutality in movies and whether we should teach our kids better by having better writing in movies. All those points are valid, and I´m all for it. Make movies better. In the meantime, I enjoy what I get.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    I've seen him.

Something is wrong with the story in the beginning, no flow at all. I mean when the story on Earth starts. The actual beginning was cool. Basically I loved everything that happened outside of earth atmosphere.

Too loud, too much destroyed. Not enough involvement. Some parts were funny, but not meant to be.

Cavill did great. He is pretty. But even prettier as Henry Cavill with less muscles and with British accent haha.

The score was underwhelming. Something was missing all the time. Except for the end and end titles. Perhaps its no coincidence that then I got the feeling the story got started.

That's pretty much what I said. Those drummers in the score, I wanted to throttle them, them and the person responsible for the shaky-cam angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    What did you like about the movie, Timmer?

EDIT: Forget it, I simply scrolled up.

I think one should completely forget what I wrote at all. Maybe I am too easy on satisfaction. But I don´t consider that a bad thing. I just think it doesn´t get us anywhere complaining. If I ever met the director / writer / producer, I would thank him for a thouroughly entertaining evening, tell him what I liked, and then ask questions about stuff could be improved next time.

Because no one else can actually do something about those points.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I still maintain that one's like or dislike of this film is 90% dependent on whether or not one likes Zack Snyder and his approach to moviemaking.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I still maintain that one's like or dislike of this film is 90% dependent on whether or not one likes Zack Snyder and his approach to moviemaking.

????

I've only seen one other Snyder film and that's WATCHMEN which I liked a lot and will champion.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

????

I've only seen one other Snyder film and that's WATCHMEN which I liked a lot and will champion.

So have I. In contrast to others I liked WATCHMEN a lot.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    What did you like about the movie, Timmer?

EDIT: Forget it, I simply scrolled up.

I think one should completely forget what I wrote at all. Maybe I am too easy on satisfaction. But I don´t consider that a bad thing. I just think it doesn´t get us anywhere complaining. If I ever met the director / writer / producer, I would thank him for a thouroughly entertaining evening, tell him what I liked, and then ask questions about stuff could be improved next time.

Because no one else can actually do something about those points.

I'm usually easily satisfied too but I didn't come out of the cinema thoroughly entertained by this film, I was continually distracted by what I consider some bad moves in this film ( of which you've already read ), it's like coming out of a restaurant saying 'excellent starter course but the main and dessert were a let down', except unlike a restaurant where I'd complain to the manager I can't just go up and personally complain to Zac Snyder.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

????

So have I. In contrast to others I liked WATCHMEN a lot.

Volker

That's You, Me and Martijn who thought the film was very good ( Alan Moore disowned it )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Curiously, WATCHMEN is the least "Snyder" of all his films (and the one I like the least, personally).

He's really all about style and wild visual ideas -- sometimes strained in a bit (like WATCHMEN), usually not. It's like a 'stream-of-consciousness' style of filmmaking, where he gets an idea of something, but then adds other elements as they pop into his head. For example -- it's not enough that Superman throws the villain into a train, the train also has to explode and be thrown back! It's not enough that Jor-El flies on an AVATAR-like creature through exploding spaceships, he also has to dive into a sea full of weird plants with human seeds. And so on.

I really appreciate that style of filmmaking -- using the medium to its full force -- but I can also understand how it can feel overwhelming to those that don't appreciate that approach. It is, however, the "key" to getting a film like MAN OF STEEL, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.