• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2017
    ALIEN: COVENANT is one of the very best films of the year, with TONS of layers -- both allegorical, philosophical and cultural; all wrapped in a fairly straightforward space horror story.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2017 edited
    I feel as if Covenant is an example of filmmakers adding 'allusions' to poems and plays and sculptures, but only as a facade, as an attempt to make you think you're thinking. Were there deep ideas alluded to? Perhaps. Were they actually explored, worked into the fabric of the story? No, it was a traditional plot-based action sci-fi movie.

And as such, I enjoyed it. I think I posted that I loved every minute, and I stick to that. But I don't think that it's references and 'layers' were really impressive. It was like Lex randomly quoting Nabokov in "Batman v Superman" when there were no possible analogies to be drawn. It was a fine sci-fi movie.

I'm interested in what you found philosophical that hasn't been dealt with better in countless other movies.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    I feel as if Covenant is an example of filmmakers adding 'allusions' to poems and plays and sculptures, but only as a facade, as an attempt to make you think you're thinking. Were there deep ideas alluded to? Perhaps. Were they actually explored, worked into the fabric of the story?

Yes, very much so. Almost in every nook and cranny of the story and mise-en-scene.

If you can run it through Google Translate, you can read more about my findings and interpretations in this Norwegian article:

http://montages.no/2017/05/hybrid-og-hy … -covenant/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote

Yes, very much so. Almost in every nook and cranny of the story and mise-en-scene.

If you can run it through Google Translate, you can read more about my findings and interpretations in this Norwegian article:

http://montages.no/2017/05/hybrid-og-hy … -covenant/

first its great to find someone else who knows the term mise-en-scene. cheesy

more importantly, your article speaks to exactly what I was talking about, specifically this type of paragraph.

This is important because Michelangelo's bible king mirrors several attributes of our own figure figure. Just like the Bible story David, our David is also a Renaissance man - a warrior, poet, artist and musician. A creator. Also our David confronted by Goliath - either in the form of xenomorfer, Engineers, people or more sophisticated androids. And perhaps most sensational - just as the Bible's David brought the Ark of the Covenant into Jerusalem, the Colonel Covenant also has an important significance for our David

what I mean is that the film's structure has nothing to do with these 'allusions'. There may be ideas thrown like paint at the wall, but the wall is still built from your standard bricks and mortar - a fairly generic space-adventure plot. Crew gets distress beacon from strange islands, discovers mystery, dumb choices made, attacked by creatures, etc. well executed (again, I liked the movie), and these philosophical ideas might be touched upon occasionally, but they're window dressing.

i guess the difference is that in a movie like Covenant, characters talk about philosophical ideas, but (in my opinion), a truly thought provoking movie has no need for that, the themes and ideas are embedded into the narrative itself. I don't see that in Covenant.
  1. I agree with Aidabaida. There are indeed tons of cultural references, some nice symbolism and alluring metaphors. Yet all this is accidental, it's not worked into the substance of the narrative. Basically this is a fine looking, if rather pointless remake of the original film. The Xenomorph Awakens.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    I agree with Aidabaida. There are indeed tons of cultural references, some nice symbolism and alluring metaphors. Yet all this is accidental, it's not worked into the substance of the narrative. Basically this is a fine looking, if rather pointless remake of the original film. The Xenomorph Awakens.

Volker

well not so much accidental as obvious and un-nuanced, like referencing Frankenstein in a movie about how a hero accidentally created a villain (or 'paying homage' to Apocalypse Now because your movie takes place in the seventies)
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Our daughter in York has recently started a part-time job in one of the theatres in the city. And, now that she's earning a bit of extra cash, she has splashed out on a Netfix subscription - and she has added us to her account.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on what to watch?

(And it looks like she's set this up just in time for watching Star Trek: Discovery!

Unless you've watched it already, Breaking Bad is a must !! Season 1 is great and by the time it reaches season 5 the series has become unforgettable.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017 edited
    Well, I disagree with you both, Volker and Aidabaida. If you look at the original ALIEN film, that's also a pretty waferthin concept or story idea -- "people run away from monster in dark corridors". But that's not what makes it a classic in science fiction and film history. What makes it so great is all the layers of meaning beyond that; the Freudian symbolism in production design, sound and music, for example. Most of these are only noticed by film buffs and analysts, but they're WHY the film works on a visceral (or subconscious) level the way it does.

ALIEN: COVENANT is very much in the same tradition, although it's more of a hybrid.

I wish there were a better way to read my article than through Google Translate (it's barely understandable), but I touch on how these ideas are organicallly integrated into the story and visual ideas throughout the film -- mostly through the main ideas HYBRID and HUBRIS.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. The one thing that makes Alien the classic that it is and will be remembered for decades, unlike Alien: Covenant (even though I like the new film), is the tense atmosphere and the feeling of terror that is palpable throughout the film. I contribute a lot of that atmosphere to the genius of Goldsmith, something which the new film wisely attempted to integrate, but ultimately lacks in.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    The one thing that makes Alien the classic that it is and will be remembered for decades, unlike Alien: Covenant (even though I like the new film), is the tense atmosphere and the feeling of terror that is palpable throughout the film. I contribute a lot of that atmosphere to the genius of Goldsmith, something which the new film wisely attempted to integrate, but ultimately lacks in.

Oh yes, Goldsmith's music is integral to that, for sure. But the 'tense atmosphere' and 'feeling of terror' you describe is also very much down to the visual and aural language, as if poking at some deep, subconscious trauma.

Although not on the same level, I think Kurzel succeeded very well in integrating the references organically. Plus adding his own sense of terror and commentary through his music. It's one of my favourite scores of the year, and that says a lot since I don't usually like horror scores.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. The Freudian inferences in the original Alien, however, are also heavily present in the script at least since one of the drafts. After writing the first draft they were wondering how to raise the fear factor, looked at each other and went "we're gonna fucking rape them".

The whole idea of the the facehugger performing oral rape and later a man is forced to give birth, essentially, the fact that the only survivor is actually female is quite subversive to this day. That said, I think that the visual expansion on these themes might have been more of a "collective subconscious" element to the design at least on Ridley's side (didn't Giger have to actually tone down the sexual undertones of his alien design?), to add Jung to the mix, because I'm pretty sure Ridley Scott hasn't really read Freud as he doesn't seem to be exactly the most philosophically educated director on the planet.

I'd actually love to see the art school curriculum from his time.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Aidabaida wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I agree with Aidabaida. There are indeed tons of cultural references, some nice symbolism and alluring metaphors. Yet all this is accidental, it's not worked into the substance of the narrative. Basically this is a fine looking, if rather pointless remake of the original film. The Xenomorph Awakens.

Volker

well not so much accidental as obvious and un-nuanced, like referencing Frankenstein in a movie about how a hero accidentally created a villain (or 'paying homage' to Apocalypse Now because your movie takes place in the seventies)

I meant "accidental" not in the sense of arbitrary but as not being essential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    DreamTheater wrote
    The one thing that makes Alien the classic that it is and will be remembered for decades, unlike Alien: Covenant (even though I like the new film), is the tense atmosphere and the feeling of terror that is palpable throughout the film. I contribute a lot of that atmosphere to the genius of Goldsmith, something which the new film wisely attempted to integrate, but ultimately lacks in.

I agree with this. It seems hasty to attribute the tense atmosphere to "deep subconscious symbolism", when there are so many better explanations waiting; claustrophobic atmosphere, suffocating music, likable characters who we don't want to see die, keeping an enemy hidden, an enemy whose true power is unknown, a gruesome, bizarre method of reproduction.

I find Doctor Who's Weeping Angels to be easily among the most startlingly chilling creatures in recent memory but its not because of deep subconscious symbolism, its because a statue that only moves when you're not looking is scary.

Does Jaws have deep Freudian symbolism? Or is it just a well made movie.

I'd be interested in a study to see if "Freudian symbolism" has really any effect whatsoever on a viewer, especially given that, you know, most of Freud's theories have been completely discredited or shown to be un-provable.

It seems to my completely subjective, uneducated opinion, that filmmakers such as Scott pepper references to philosophy and culture and art not because these things add to the movie, but because they know film-scholars and critics will pick up on them and make much of them.

I enjoyed Alien: Covenant. I thought it was a perfectly tense, scary movie, but that's because it was well-made, well-paced, not because of deep subconcious symbolism. I thought it had some interesting ideas, but when they existed, they were demonstrated by the actions and words of the characters, not moody quoting of Shelley and references to Wagner. To put it sort of bluntly, characters sitting and talking about high-brow art isn't really the same as creating some good art yourself.

One of my favorite movies, "Pan's Labyrinth" contains plenty of artistic allusions and references to other movies, but these references are not accomplished by characters sitting and quoting poems to each other, they're accomplished by the design and make of the movie; the fact that Ophelia's dress is modeled off Alice's from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the stack of red shoes in the Pale Man's lair calling to mind the Holocaust, they add to, rather interfere with, the story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I think we see films rather differently, you and I (as we do most things in life, it seems). I'm very interested in subtext in movies, but not when it's overtly done like in arthouse cinema. Well, I like that too, but I'm more interested in finding it in films that work within traditional, mainstream storytelling. Directors like Spielberg, Scott, Burton etc. who pepper their films with various (audiovisual) auteur traits; or who sneak lofty ideas into (or below) the surface of the story itself.

In fact, that's my main appeal in Scott's movies. He tells stories pretty straightforward, but there's always extra communication going on in the audiovisuals (most of the time). He's about so much more than just surface value. Films like BLADE RUNNER and ALIEN are obvious examples of this, but I was also taken aback by how much of it there was in ALIEN: COVENANT, and how organic it all felt. It was certainly not just communicated through dialogue. He's very much my kind of filmmaker that way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    which references and subtext did you see communicated subtly in Covenant?
  6. First, when it comes to pure design, Freud was "the shit" even in 1970s when Jacques Lacan revived "the original Freud" as he intended. Horror does feed on the ideas of the "uncanny" (a resemblance of something we USED TO KNOW and repressed and therefore eliticing a fear response) and actually in terms of Alien this might work.

Likable characters and all, we do have sexual violation of men as opposed to the "culture of rape" we discuss now. Hurt's character, if you look at it is orally raped by the Face Hugger, impregnated and is forced to give birth to the chestburster. This might be as primal as the idea of a vagina dentata, the myth of a vagina that bites a man's penis off during sex (and indeed, there is at least one incarnations of The Thing in Carpenter's film that DOES resemble a vagina dentata, for example). It plays into sexuality-related fears. It's consequent to the point that by the end of the film the only survivor is a woman. So it plays with reversing the gender roles in what is regarded as the metaphor of the life cycle.

Symbolism is not "deep subconscious". It refers to certain things that may or may not be there. But it's not really in and of itself subconscious. Sometimes it does just work that way. Sometimes, "working metaphors" as I call it, is when a filmmaker logically develops a metaphor, an image that is quite clear and actually develops organically with the story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    which references and subtext did you see communicated subtly in Covenant?

Did you read the whole article I posted? I know it's a hassle to use Google Translate, but I'd rather not re-type everything in English. "Subtle" is in the eye of the beholder (some are subtle, some are less subtle), but the point is that Scott doesn't only use dialogue to communicate these ideas. He also uses visuals and sound. And it all feels organic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I did read the article, but a lot it felt like a stretch. I like your idea of David's name connecting with the Ark of the Covenant (i.e. the Covenant ship...), but passages like this, To make it double intertextually, Ozymandias is also the Greek name of the Egyptian king Ramesses II (and perhaps an internal reference to Scott's underrated movie Exodus: Gods and Kings ?). feel rather pointless. Does it improve or deepen the movie if the poem that David quotes contains the greek name of an Egyptian King who features in one of Ridley Scott's other movies? I'm looking for an example of how Ridley's references actually add anything to the movie.

At their best, references and allusions can create new and interesting metaphors through which one might view the events of a movie in a different light. I just don't see that in Covenant, certainly not, as you said, "in every nook and cranny of the story and mise-en-scene."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    I did read the article, but a lot it felt like a stretch. I like your idea of David's name connecting with the Ark of the Covenant (i.e. the Covenant ship...), but passages like this, To make it double intertextually, Ozymandias is also the Greek name of the Egyptian king Ramesses II (and perhaps an internal reference to Scott's underrated movie Exodus: Gods and Kings ?). feel rather pointless. Does it improve or deepen the movie if the poem that David quotes contains the greek name of an Egyptian King who features in one of Ridley Scott's other movies?

I think it does, yes, which I point out in the rest of the paragraph. Ramesses II is another representation of the basic hamartia (fatal mistake) or hubris wherein a powerful person lets his ambitions run away from him, thus ensuring the destruction of his civilization. Striving for divine perfection is a futile enterprise. Of course -- in this context -- it's telling that David erroneously credits the poem to Byron (as Walter points out), thus underlining his lack of this divine perfection; his ultimate self-delusion.

A lot of these references -- both in dialogue (as in this case) or in visuals -- probably fly by most of the audience's head. Most of them are probably in it just for the "slasher in space". But that's OK. The fact that they are THERE, and are inserted with such elegance, allows for more layers to discover for those that are on the lookout for them. They're not really needed either, to get enjoyment from the picture -- the film works perfectly well on a 'surface level' too. Just as 'hybrid' is a theme of the movie, so too is the narrative shaped like a hybrid between the previous films and PROMETHEUS.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I wouldn't read into the Exodus references too much. I am not sure which tradition actually says that the Pharaoh at the time of Moses was called Rameses as, if I recall correctly, he is never named in Exodus. Maybe it falls in well historically, maybe it's the cliche that if we talk about the ruler of Egypt, it has to be Rameses (unless you can be Akhnaten, then be Akhnaten).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, the point is that Ozymandias -- as featured in Shelley's poem -- is the Greek name for Ramesses II, and in Scott's version of that particular story, his foils and ambitions very much overlap with David's in this movie. Not saying that it's necessarily a reference to his own movie, but it's obviously a reference to his interpretation of the biblical character in question.

It's also very telling that David only quotes the part of the poem that is 'celebratory'. He neglects the second part which describes the downfall of such ambitions. In other words, he says:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
    ‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’

...but neglects the second, crucial part:

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote

I think it does, yes, which I point out in the rest of the paragraph. Ramesses II is another representation of the basic hamartia (fatal mistake) or hubris wherein a powerful person lets his ambitions run away from him, thus ensuring the destruction of his civilization. Striving for divine perfection is a futile enterprise. Of course -- in this context -- it's telling that David erroneously credits the poem to Byron (as Walter points out), thus underlining his lack of this divine perfection; his ultimate self-delusion.

A lot of these references -- both in dialogue (as in this case) or in visuals -- probably fly by most of the audience's head. Most of them are probably in it just for the "slasher in space". But that's OK. The fact that they are THERE, and are inserted with such elegance, allows for more layers to discover for those that are on the lookout for them. They're not really needed either, to get enjoyment from the picture -- the film works perfectly well on a 'surface level' too. Just as 'hybrid' is a theme of the movie, so too is the narrative shaped like a hybrid between the previous films and PROMETHEUS.

I understand your point, and I think you've done an excellent job demonstrating that there are indeed parallels to be drawn. I suppose I just don't exactly get enjoyment from drawing parallels between stories. I also felt that Covenant's references strongly detracted from the mood... I don't know, quoting Shelley right before a robot kung-fu fight seems anachronistic. Now we're into the realm of subjectivity.

Nevertheless, you've convinced me that the references were more intentional than I had initially believed.
  8. I'm so glad that I just enjoy a film relatively superficially, enjoying a story for its own sake and without all the sometimes-forced 'meaning.'
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm so glad that I just enjoy a film relatively superficially, enjoying a story for its own sake and without all the sometimes-forced 'meaning.'

That's perfectly legitimate. I, however, would be bored to tears if that was the only way I could enjoy a film. For me, form and visuals and sound are more important and rewarding than storytelling. That's primarily what I look for in a film experience.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. It can be quite problematic at times, as it really seems that anything goes in terms of film studies (admitting that as I'm doing my PhD in film now), but meaning itself is not and should not be forced. A good adage comes from Tom Clancy:

The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction must make sense.
  10. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

Rogue One
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    That's perfectly legitimate. I, however, would be bored to tears if that was the only way I could enjoy a film. For me, form and visuals and sound are more important and rewarding than storytelling. That's primarily what I look for in a film experience.

i actually completely agree with this, which is why it annoys me when people draw more meaning from a movie than seems actually rational, because it sends the message that 'film experience' or 'film analysis' is about making sure you've memorized the entire literary and philosophical canon.

i wouldn't be surprised if the over-analysis and focus on nebulous 'symbolism' is a huge factor in why young people dislike classic literature. if they were just given the basics on the author's life and the themes in the book, they might have the freedom to construct meaning from the book themselves.

PawelStroinski wrote

The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction must make sense.

Thomas Pynchon would like a word with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I both agree and disagree with that. I'm a firm believer that analysis should be reasonable, meaning that you don't necessarily have to catch the filmmaker's original intention (the text is independent), but you should be able to base the interpretation on a reasonable assessment of the available data.

On the other hand, I'm always fascinated by certain film analysts who go the extra mile and find meaning in details that perhaps are more "out there". Sure, sometimes it may result in something like ROOM 237 (have any of you seen that documentary?), but other times it may actually open a few doors to more restricted analysts. I have a colleague like that in the magazine I work for, named Dag Sødtholdt. You could argue that his Aspberger-afflicted mind finds patterns and connections that are tentative at best, but at the same time, I marvel at the depth involved in his analyses. It's actually quite inspiring (especially for a visually oriented analyst like myself).

Here are some of his extremely in-depth Shyamalan analyses (in English) if you're interested:

http://montages.no/?s=shyamalan
    I am extremely serious.
  11. With Tom Clancy, not me.

What you are discussing though is the problem with canon and setting up a school curriculum (granted, right now I don't think that Alien is obligatory viewing in, say, primary school biggrin ) with things being taught a certain way.

I mean, OK, the Freudian interpretation of the first Alien film is essentially an academic consensus right now. People agree that it is Freudian in terms of the corridor thing that Thor mentioned, even the writers admit to thinking of "male rape" as the source of the primal fear of the audience and so on. You could actually also discuss Mother and her "betrayal" of the crew.

An underappreciated and potentially relevant motif is, I guess, the Joseph Conrad connection, with the ship being called Nostromo, which is a Conrad novel title and Ridley Scott taking up Alien right after directing The Duellists (without the?) which is a Conrad short story adaptation. This particular connection is actually followed up in Aliens, where another ship bears a name taken from this author's work, this time the Sulaco. Whether it does have some kind of meaning or it is just a subtle homage to Scott, I have no idea. The theatrical cut got rid of all the visual references to the original film (the introduction of Newt on LV-426 is something Cameron admits was something "Ridley did better" with him saying his action scenes were better; there's also the introduction of Sulaco that reeks of the introduction of Nostromo in the Scott film; what Cameron also made stronger were the 2001 homages in the beginning film. That's why Horner quotes the Khachaturian Adagio right there). But except using the concept of mother and emphasizing on that aspect of insects and of course making Ripley a mother herself (to Newt and the loss of her daughter in the beginning)... that's where it goes.

Interpretation-wise, yes, we are force-fed certain meanings. Even in the 1930s one of our major writers ridiculed in a scene where discussing one of our major (canonical!) Romantic poets he waxes on how he touches us all, how his emotions rise, etc. And tell me please why is it so?!

Then the "best student" rises: "Because a great poet he was!"
    "YEEEEES"

Essentially, that's what we are forced. But then again most of people don't really want to interpret much of art on their own. They just read for enjoyment. That's OK, but there has to be a certain canon of knowledge. Questions may of course always be loaded or leading to a certain conclusion the teacher wants. It's different on the university where on 20th century literature at the end of a class my teacher (and actually a guy I did know earlier) laughed about how we came to the conclusion that (according to a novel) it's better to be a prostitute than a wife, because a prostitute gets paid for sex and a wife still has to make lunch and other chores (the author was female, most of the classmates were female as well, as Polish studies here are 80% female statistically). He was surprised, but well, that's where we got.

Whether there's a compromise to be made... the question is how many people would actually read the classics on their own now? It's the same with music, art and films (with Netflix not even featuring many classic films, reportedly), sadly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    Well, I both agree and disagree with that. I'm a firm believer that analysis should be reasonable, meaning that you don't necessarily have to catch the filmmaker's original intention (the text is independent), but you should be able to base the interpretation on a reasonable assessment of the available data.

On the other hand, I'm always fascinated by certain film analysts who go the extra mile and find meaning in details that perhaps are more "out there". Sure, sometimes it may result in something like ROOM 237 (have any of you seen that documentary?), but other times it may actually open a few doors to more restricted analysts. I have a colleague like that in the magazine I work for, named Dag Sødtholdt. You could argue that his Aspberger-afflicted mind finds patterns and connections that are tentative at best, but at the same time, I marvel at the depth involved in his analyses. It's actually quite inspiring (especially for a visually oriented analyst like myself).

Here are some of his extremely in-depth Shyamalan analyses (in English) if you're interested:

http://montages.no/?s=shyamalan

I finished a book called Gormenghast, a spectacular piece of literature. My copy came with several analytical essays at the end, some of them rather lengthy and technical. What I enjoyed, however, was that every single one of the essays supported their assertions with ample quotations from the text. Rather than simply state, "Every time Fuschia and Steerpike meet, an atmosphere of death hangs about them", they actually demonstrated how each one of Fuschia and Steerpike's meetings actually contained scenery descriptions with a strong theme of death not found elsewhere.

I suppose what I'm looking for is not shallow analysis (or only surface level analysis), but analysis clearly based on facts. Which is what irked me about your review of Covenant. Extrapolating so much based only on the name of a poem seemed tenuous at best.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Whether there's a compromise to be made... the question is how many people would actually read the classics on their own now? It's the same with music, art and films (with Netflix not even featuring many classic films, reportedly), sadly.

agreed with everything you wrote. sorry for such a short response to a lengthy post, but I don't have much to say. I think you expressed some of my thoughts much better than I ever could. beer