• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Pompeii - Clinton Shorter

I, like, this(?) not?. There a bunch of temp-track influences throughout which gives me a sense of dejavu, which troubles me so because I can't identify the original sources for these temps, but I'm sure a most of them are related to Hans Zimmer/RC group somehow. In short, nothing new.

I hear around that this is actually good smile

It's not!

-Erik-

It's not exactly what I'd call "good" but it's certainly very "enjoyable" - it feels like a Zimmer/RC score from 10-15 years ago, back when Gladiator was the temp track for everything instead of Inception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2014 edited
    NP: Escape from L.A. - Shirley Walker & John Carpenter

Very enjoyable sequel to the original John Caperpenter & Alan Howarth score. Shirley (R.I.P.) provided a very masculine orchestral support (especially the action cues!!) to all of the electronics along with some excellent thematic materials.
  2. I thought that this was horrible.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Pompeii - Clinton Shorter

I, like, this(?) not?. There a bunch of temp-track influences throughout which gives me a sense of dejavu, which troubles me so because I can't identify the original sources for these temps, but I'm sure a most of them are related to Hans Zimmer/RC group somehow. In short, nothing new.

I hear around that this is actually good smile

It's not!

-Erik-

It's not exactly what I'd call "good" but it's certainly very "enjoyable" - it feels like a Zimmer/RC score from 10-15 years ago, back when Gladiator was the temp track for everything instead of Inception.

sleep
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Fair enough, I guess... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lp wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Mozart reminds me of Haydn. Must have been the temp track.

All Classical period compositions sound the same after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. That WAM sound needs to die.

applause
    Excellent!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I thought that this was horrible.

Did you listen to the EFNY score prior to EFLA? Cause... um, yeah. But Shirley Walker's contribution is notable and entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pompeii Clinton Shorter

This is fun, I like it. Derivative, sure, but fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Raggedy Man - Jerry Goldsmith

Perhaps the sweetest, loveliest thing he ever wrote. Beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Pretty sure Gladiator would have actually been part of the temp track for Pompeii.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote

Now I feel like a bad film music fan because I've been around for a decade and I've never heard of this before despite having many, many, lovely things from Goldsmith. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2014
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote

Now I feel like a bad film music fan because I've been around for a decade and I've never heard of this before despite having many, many, lovely things from Goldsmith. shocked

That's the great thing about prolific composers such as Goldsmith, Morricone and Delerue; no matter how much music you have, there are always more surprises just around the corner.

I love this theme.

Peter love
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2014 edited
    I've returned to Newman's TARZAN. I needed to give this another shot as I was in a pretty foul mood during my first listen. I'm not sure why Newman had to resorted to Zimmerisms but at least his distinct voice is still in the score. The score is fun and exciting with some lovely melodies that only sound like Newman styled themes. However, when those crumby, generic MV/RC sounds pop up I almost check out. crazy

A score like this both angers me and makes me happy. I hate how influential the RC/MV sound is on composers who wouldn't write stuff like this if it wasn't forced on them yet I'm happy that Newman has a new score out. The guy needs to find a director who want to hear Newman's voice and not have him write in someone else's style.

EDIT - Man, you can really hear Newman fighting against the MV/RCisms. There is some superb stuff in this score. "Growing Up" has some spectacular moments.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Pretty sure Gladiator would have actually been part of the temp track for Pompeii.

And every other epic-movie score since 2000 smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I've returned to Newman's TARZAN. I needed to give this another shot as I was in a pretty foul mood during my first listen. I'm not sure why Newman had to resorted to Zimmerisms but at least his distinct voice is still in the score. The score is fun and exciting with some lovely melodies that only sound like Newman styled themes. However, when those crumby, generic MV/RC sounds pop up I almost check out. crazy

A score like this both angers me and makes me happy. I hate how influential the RC/MV sound is on composers who wouldn't write stuff like this if it wasn't forced on them yet I'm happy that Newman has a new score out. The guy needs to find a director who want to hear Newman's voice and not have him write in someone else's style.

EDIT - Man, you can really hear Newman fighting against the MV/RCisms. There is some superb stuff in this score. "Growing Up" has some spectacular moments.

-Erik-

Let's face it; in order to work in Hollywood these days, one way or the other, and unless you're some composer with a very distinct style (Desplat, Giacchino, Thomas Newman, etc) you'll need to resort to Zimmerisms one way or the other, if you want to continue to work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I found the action writing sharing elements from Newman's Serenity score that i love so much (cues like "Take me to the Meteor" or the spectacular "Finale" are very well done) and the softer, sentimental passages are enjoyable to the max: Tarzan's and Jane's thematic material is the most interesting, stuff like "Tarzan", "Tarzan and Jane" but also "Tarzan and Jane at the lake" and "Reunion" demonstrate some very fine writing from Newman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Infernal Affairs - Chan Kwong Wing

This is a wonderful, over-the-top score.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Let's face it; in order to work in Hollywood these days, one way or the other, and unless you're some composer with a very distinct style (Desplat, Giacchino, Thomas Newman, etc) you'll need to resort to Zimmerisms one way or the other, if you want to continue to work.

Even Desplat indulged the Zimmerisms in the Harry Potter films he scored (although he kept them to a relative minimum). I don't even want to imagine what Giacchino's attempt would sound like. Fortunately, the director relationships he maintains haven't required it.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Southall wrote
    Infernal Affairs - Chan Kwong Wing

This is a wonderful, over-the-top score.

i like this score too, especially the dramatic vocal track with the sad melody. although my favourite score is part 2. that score is more dramatic, has lots of themes and the hungarian choir is also a nice addition.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

And every other epic-movie score since 2000 smile

Yup! It was shit then and it's shit now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Josh B wrote
    Even Desplat indulged the Zimmerisms in the Harry Potter films he scored (although he kept them to a relative minimum). I don't even want to imagine what Giacchino's attempt would sound like. Fortunately, the director relationships he maintains haven't required it.

Relative minimum? DH2, outside of Desplat's unique and lovely sense of harmony, sounds like every track could have been written by one of the lesser RC composers....IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LOST: THE FINAL SEASON - Michael Giacchino

The show was an overrated waste of time but the scores are good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote

Have you heard his trailer music for Jupiter Ascending?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This one Erik?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCyL_Pqzu8
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's the one! BRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Days of Thunder - Hans Zimmer

Why is this so good! I'm too young to like something like this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LOST: THE FINAL SEASON - Michael Giacchino

The show was an overrated waste of time but the scores are good.

The show had terrible writing, didn't make any sense, had a stupid ending on on a Biblical scale (in all senses of the word), but... I still loved it. shame

I think the mere setting and concept of the show always won me over (and the attractive people lick ), regardless of its many pitfalls. That, and Giacchino's music.
  4. Docotor Who 50th Anniversary, CD 3 - (2013) John Debney among others

Quite nice! My favourite here is the fourth CD wich is entirly dedicated to Murray Gold. I was never the biggest fan of his music, so this compilation of highlights is just what I need. The third CD is nice too. I am not so keen on the older BBC Workshop stuff, though.

Anyway, this is nothing but music to me, because I am totally ignorant of everything Doctor Who who never made it to mainstream TV in Germany.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2014
    You can always do what I did. Spend 6 months going through everything doctor who since the dawn of time.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yeah, well, I do own one DVD box set (three docotors ago I think). The aliens look like they escaped the Muppets Show. Not my cup of tea.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.