• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    300: Rise of an Empire - Tom Holkenborg alias Junkie XL

Somebody should tell this guy that it takes more than drums to write effective action music. My ears! crazy

What do you think of the more melodic, middle-eastern loop work he's done in some cues? Like the stunning opening cue, 'history of Artemisia"?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: AGE OF CONAN: HYBERIAN ADVENTURES (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

Stupendous! I'm proud to call Knut a good friend.

Agree. One of the best scores (overall) to be relased post-2000. Shame that that nutcase created his whole decleration on this score and it was this that brought this score to the attention of the wider public, for the wrong reasons that is, and most importantly: that the follow-up sequel scores didn't match the first one's quality at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Shipping News - Christopher Young

This is my favourite celtic-flavoured film score and possibly my favourite Christopher Young score, which is odd because it's atypical for him in style. I never tire of listening to it.

Great moody film and colorful score, a very fine moment in Young's career;
  1. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    300: Rise of an Empire - Tom Holkenborg alias Junkie XL

Somebody should tell this guy that it takes more than drums to write effective action music. My ears! crazy

What do you think of the more melodic, middle-eastern loop work he's done in some cues? Like the stunning opening cue, 'history of Artemisia"?

I'd bring neither the words "stunning" nor "melodic" within a league of this score, but that cue was one of the few that I found to be slightly more than mind-numbing. Has some cool middle-eastern loop stuff going on, as you say, but it goes on far too long without variation. John Powell did this kind of stuff much better in The Bourne Ultimatum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: AGE OF CONAN: HYBERIAN ADVENTURES (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

Stupendous! I'm proud to call Knut a good friend.

Agree. One of the best scores (overall) to be relased post-2000. Shame that that nutcase created his whole decleration on this score and it was this that brought this score to the attention of the wider public, for the wrong reasons that is, and most importantly: that the follow-up sequel scores didn't match the first one's quality at all.

I actually like the sequel scores too, esp. when it taps into Southeast Asian colours -- some even with a definite Tan Dun vibe.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: The Film Music of Miklos Rozsa on Chandos
    The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Rumon Gamba

I've downloaded the album from amazon.de, the physical disc will arrive this week. The album contains suites from

The Thief of Baghdad
    The Jungle Book
    Sahara
    Ben-Hur

Now, there have been some dismissive voices about this new release over at the FSM board because most of this music has been recorded several times already. Also there was a similar programmed album by VS / Colosseum some ages ago. (A CD I happen to own.)

All I can say is, that this new Chandos album sounds spectacular and that I am a happy customer.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Film Music of Miklos Rozsa on Chandos
    The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Rumon Gamba

I've downloaded the album from amazon.de, the physical disc will arrive this week. The album contains suites from

The Thief of Baghdad
    The Jungle Book
    Sahara
    Ben-Hur

Now, there have been some dismissive voices about this new release over at the FSM board because most of this music has been recorded several times already. Also there was a similar programmed album by VS / Colosseum some ages ago. (A CD I happen to own.)

All I can say is, that this new Chandos album sounds spectacular and that I am a happy customer.

Volker

Chandos do Rozsa? I'd have preferred some "obscure" British composer to continue with ( I still have hopes that one day they'll do Humphrey Searle's film scores ) but I look forward to hearing this new Rozsa recording, particularly SAHARA which I've never heard.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014 edited
    NP : COSMOS: A SPACE TIME ODYSSEY - Alan Silvestri

My first play. I love the main title and the rest is shaping up nicely so far. If anyone is interested I'm listening to this on Spotify right now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Alan Silvestri is doing the new "COSMOS"? That's awwwwwwsome!
  4. NP: The Book Thief (2013) - John Williams

I did not listen to this in quite a while. It is better than I remembered it to be. Nothing particular new if you are familiar with William's work. Still: sensitive and elegant. A classy score.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is the movie worth the time to watch it?
  5. Sorry, I have no idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hack! - Scott Glasgow

Having spend the last 24 hours doing little other than agreeing with him on Facebook, I thought it was only right to listen to some of his music. This one is superb, chilling orchestral horror music. Hope he gets his own big break soon, and kudos to him for speaking out against the Zimmer clones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED (Johan Söderqvist)

Breezy Italianisms!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote

Breezy Italianisms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-pFAFsTFTI
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Breezy Italianisms!

Love it!
  7. NP: Papillon (1973) - Jerry Goldsmith
    On Universal France.

Lovely!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014
    Papillon - Great film and great score!

NP : GAME OF DEATH - John Barry

Awful film, truly awful! ( except for the Bruce Lee fight sequences ) The score is Bond-ish and very much Barry on auto-pilot. It's okay but not one I return to often, in fact I doubt I've played this in well over ten years now and it may well be longer than that, if ever? That I play it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Makara - E.S. Posthumus

My coworker calls this my "angry music". In a way, yes, but to be fair, it's simply perfect music for those time when you just want to hunker down and destroy a project. It's excellently blunt and no-nonsense "action" music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE SALAMANDER (Jerry Goldsmith)

What a fabulous restoration. Not all of the cues are equally interesting, IMO -- I've never been able to grasp JG's whimsical, odd-metered action music. But that requiem for a general is as good as it gets!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

My coworker calls this my "angry music". In a way, yes, but to be fair, it's simply perfect music for those time when you just want to hunker down and destroy a project. It's excellently blunt and no-nonsense "action" music.

E.S.Posthumus gave birth to trailer music. Sadly, trailer music never matched E.S.Posthumus quality and i say sadly 'cause of the sudden, unexpected and early death of one of the two members of E.S.Posthumus and their early demise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote

E.S.Posthumus gave birth to trailer music. Sadly, trailer music never matched E.S.Posthumus quality and i say sadly 'cause of the sudden, unexpected and early death of one of the two members of E.S.Posthumus and their early demise.

Yeah, that was a sad moment for me. And, to be fair, they really popularized the current trend of epic sounding RC-inspired trailer music.
  8. Demetris wrote
    Sadly, trailer music never matched E.S.Posthumus quality

It'll come as a surprise to absolutely nobody that I think this is untrue. That's like saying film music never matched Max Steiner's quality. Yes, what E.S. Posthumus did was incredibly influential on the genre as a whole, but that doesn't mean that there haven't been others who have done stuff that's at least as good, case in point being Thomas Bergersen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can't help but read his name as 'E.S. Prometheus'...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

It'll come as a surprise to absolutely nobody that I think this is untrue. That's like saying film music never matched Max Steiner's quality. Yes, what E.S. Posthumus did was incredibly influential on the genre as a whole, but that doesn't mean that there haven't been others who have done stuff that's at least as good, case in point being Thomas Bergersen.

Thomas Bergersen is a very highly underutilized individual who should score movies, not trailers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    I can't help but read his name as 'E.S. Prometheus'...

I would love to have that as my name.

Same reason why I love this quote:

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

My first play. I love the main title and the rest is shaping up nicely so far. If anyone is interested I'm listening to this on Spotify right now.

I've literally only just made the connection that Silvestri scored Contact which was based on Carl Sagan's book, and Carl Sagan wrote and starred in the original Cosmos...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LEGEND OF KORRA (Jeremy Zuckerman)

Nice, Tan Dun-ish music for a Nickelodeon kiddie show. Plus some wacky big band numbers, whatever they're doing there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I've literally only just made the connection that Silvestri scored Contact which was based on Carl Sagan's book, and Carl Sagan wrote and starred in the original Cosmos...

I must thank Seth McFarlane for hiring Alan, and getting him out of his orchestral funk and into something that has more scope and diversity, as opposed to just another generic action score.

And for hiring Joel McNeely and letting him score A Million Ways to Die In The West.
  9. lp wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Thomas Bergersen is a very highly underutilized individual who should score movies, not trailers.

I'm glad he does what he does! If he were to score movies I bet the producers/directors would tell him to tone/water it down. I'd love to have it happen for the exposure it would give him but musically speaking, I feel as though what he does allows him to express himself much more naturally than a movie would.