• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014 edited
    NP: UNMEI NO HITO (Naoki Sato)

Very intriguing, as always with Sato. That rock-style, Vivaldi-like "Man of Destiny" track is absolutely gorgeous. Cheesy? Yeah, but in a cool way. Rest of the score is more traditional classical. I have no idea what the film is about (actually, it appears to be a tv series).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: The Wild Bunch (1969) - Jerry Fielding / Album version
    on FSM

I am not a fan of three-CD-editions. As always I ripped the OST and the album tracks but no additional or alternative material as that doesn't really concern me.

I am a big fan of 60s and 70s westerns, Leone and Peckinpah in particular. So this was a must-have eventually. A great score! My first Fielding score, though I have some music of his on samplers. Obviously something to look into in more detail.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Thank you Thor -- I expected a knee jerk reaction post or two, but not from Norway. Always nice to be surprised. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....sorry. That film and score just went on my nerves, so I needed to vent (actually, I see that I gave it a 3+ out of 6, so it can't have been THAT bad).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    The lyrics almost turns it into a musical. wink

The basic inspiration was actually opera smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Thor wrote
    Ha, ha....sorry. That film and score just went on my nerves, so I needed to vent (actually, I see that I gave it a 3+ out of 6, so it can't have been THAT bad).

Finally, a film reviewer whose 'half marks' translates to 'half good'. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

The inspiration sounded like Gilbert & Sullivan to me, not "true" opera.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: Grand Budapest Hotel (Desplat)

Delightful. If the mittel-europa-style is not your cup of tea, and you're more a fan of Desplat's Ghost Writer, then mostly this will be a write-off for you, but do take the time to savour - 'The Cold Blooded Murder of Deputy Vilmos Kovacs'. A truly marvellous minute or two of cinema was accompanied - indeed, made - by that cue.
  6. I adored the film and score. Actually I gave the score 5 stars in my review. I love the world-creating function Desplat's score plays in the film. I might give a link for anyone willing to google translate it smile

My favourite score of the year so far and it will be difficult to surpass it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Grand Budapest Hotel (Desplat)

Delightful. If the mittel-europa-style is not your cup of tea, and you're more a fan of Desplat's Ghost Writer, then mostly this will be a write-off for you, but do take the time to savour - 'The Cold Blooded Murder of Deputy Vilmos Kovacs'. A truly marvellous minute or two of cinema was accompanied - indeed, made - by that cue.

I think I've had enough digs at your posts for a day, franz, but not quite --- because I can't stand Wes Anderson either (in fact, I don't like quirk of this kind that sort of tries to sit alongside realism) and -- as you know -- usually not Desplat either. That being said, I haven't seen GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL yet, so I'll leave my value judgement untill then.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Gilbert & Sullivan!

vomit
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I think I've had enough digs at your posts for a day, franz, but not quite --- because I can't stand Wes Anderson either (in fact, I don't like quirk of this kind that sort of tries to sit alongside realism) and -- as you know -- usually not Desplat either. That being said, I haven't seen GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL yet, so I'll leave my value judgement untill then.

This can't pass.

Quirk that tries to sit alongside realism? Did it play after a Dardennes at a film festival or something?

Realism? In Wes Anderson? dizzy How could you be less realistic, without resorting to animation? His shtick is practically Tati, with a bit of deadpan and screwball thrown in. (I can think of one realist moment in Moonrise Kingdom, and even that was framed closed-form and symmetrically.)

NP: Stalker (Edward Artemyev)

Mystical.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Gilbert & Sullivan!

vomit

I can't stand G & S either. What I heard was a rhythmic pattern similarity.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Realism? In Wes Anderson? dizzy How could you be less realistic, without resorting to animation? His shtick is practically Tati, with a bit of deadpan and screwball thrown in. (I can think of one realist moment in Moonrise Kingdom, and even that was framed closed-form and symmetrically.)

I disagree. It's basically a realistic universe, but coloured by Anderson's particular mischievous style. Something's always a bit 'off', but it's never quite out-there. If I want quirk (which I rarely do), I go all-out with Tim Burton or something. For me, Anderson belongs with the Coen brothers in their filmatic mission.

I'm somewhat of a 'genre purist'. I don't like it when they mix things up too much, and when they exist in the 'field' inbetween, like Anderson.

Mystical.

Now THIS one is great, both film and score. No quirk; just straighforward, serious mysticism.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

This can't pass.

Quirk that tries to sit alongside realism? Did it play after a Dardennes at a film festival or something?

Mystical.

I'd agree that he's not a realist at all. Maybe slightly the acting convention, but there is quite a bit of theatricality to that too. What makes the film antirealistic to me is the overly conscious use of camera movement. These 90 degree pans done before the character even gets there and things like that. Realism fakes narrative transparency, tries to "mirror" the world in a mimetic sense... Anderson doesn't seem to be interested in that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I am here to say that The Grand Budapest Hotel is a fine place to be at. The events during the Cold Blooded Murder of Deputy Vilmos Kovacs are very realistic though.

Franz, have you seen La Grande Bellezza already?
    Kazoo
  10. Hmm, I wouldn't say they are very realistic... except the fingers. It's still done with quite a bit of black humor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    I am here to say that The Grand Budapest Hotel is a fine place to be at. The events during the Cold Blooded Murder of Deputy Vilmos Kovacs are very realistic though.

Franz, have you seen La Grande Bellezza already?

I have, and I loved it! Let's hope that is the kind of 'artfilm' franz and I agree upon (I have a theory of where our tastes meet and depart).
    I am extremely serious.
  11. On the border of the Twilight Zone?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  12. NP: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) - Hans Zimmer and stuff

I just found out this score is addictive. Weird but addictive.

Volker
  13. The regular edition has joined my collection today among with Horner's Patriot Games in its La-La Land version smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The regular edition has joined my collection today among with Horner's Patriot Games in its La-La Land version smile

Is the regular edition a single disc? I've listened to the score a few times on Spotify and like it a lot. I don't think I need that 2nd disc though.
  14. I bought the 2 Disc version on impulse in a store today. I haven't listened to the second disc yet, so I can't comment on it. In Germany they have put a German song on it that does not have anything to do with the film. A publicity stunt obviously. The song is not on the US version. I wonder If they have done the same thing in other countries.

There are 6 additional cues on disc 1. I cannot say yet if they are worthwhile. Probably the 1 disc edition suffices.
  15. I think that there's a couple of long suites of score - but I don't know whether there's anything additional in these suites compared to the other score tracks. There seems to be a couple of additional score tracks on disc 2 as well. All the songs I just got rid of.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AFTER THE DARK (Nicholas O'Toole/Jonathan Davis/Glenn Philips)

I don't know what it is, but there's just something about the electronic textures that these guys weave that I find appealing. There's hardly any theme, and it doesn't have the refinement and beats of a Cliff Martinez score, for example, but there is....something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    King of Devil's Island - Johan Soderqvist

My word, this is good. Paging franz_conrad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    But who's that bloody irritating journalist rambling on with the filmmakers at the end?
  16. Thor wrote
    NP: AFTER THE DARK (Nicholas O'Toole/Jonathan Davis/Glenn Philips)

I don't know what it is, but there's just something about the electronic textures that these guys weave that I find appealing. There's hardly any theme, and it doesn't have the refinement and beats of a Cliff Martinez score, for example, but there is....something.

Did anyone else here just think of flying toasters? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I rarely think of anything else.
  17. biggrin