• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. As you may be aware, I do have a habit of making compilation CDs, either for myself or for friends and family. I am really pleased about this one because I felt I really did get good quality/variety over the CD (packed full at 78+ minutes). I tried to stay away from the same sort of sound and not pick composer's works in their most famous movies (Hoosiers is an example where I don't think that people would pick Hoosiers right off the top for Goldsmith, but I think it's one of his great scores).

If you have any comments, let me know.

The order is as follows:
    1) The Creation - Patrick Doyle - Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
    2) Alice's Theme - Danny Elfman - Alice in Wonderland
    3) Paradise Theme - Philippe Rombi - Angel
    4) The Lazarus Project - Brian Tyler - The Lazarus Project
    5) The Great Eatlon/End Titles - James Newton Howard - Lady in the Water
    6) Gollum's Song - Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (3:56 minute edit)
    7) Chevaliers De Sangreal - Hans Zimmer - The Da Vinci Code
    8) Messages from Earth - Christopher Franke - Babylon 5 (3:41 minute edit)
    9) Farewell Ladies & Finale - Basil Poledouris - Lonesome Dove
    10) Far Away (Reprise) & All The Pretty Horses Medley - Marty Stuart & Co - All The Pretty Horses
    11) The Right Stuff - Bill Conti/Kunzel - The Right Stuff
    12) Theme from Hoosiers (LSO Concert version) - Jerry Goldsmith - Hoosiers
    13) End Credits - John Williams - Far and Away
    14) John Dunbar Theme - John Barry - Dances with Wolves
    15) Who Will Take Your Dreams Away - Angelo Badalamenti/Marianne Faithful - City of Lost Children
    16) All System Go/The Launch - James Horner
    17) The Untouchables End Title - Ennio Morricone - The Untouchables
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014
    Aside from the inclusion of the hateful and execreable Eboliana Tormentini, a most laudable compilation, heavy on the thematic and epic side! I like it! This should go well as a sort of 'very best of' type CD.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gollum's Song is a superb track. I love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Some great tracks, but I prefer compilations with some kind of theme or context to connect them (aside from that fact that it's all film music). Dare I say, a concept*.

*I fear this is like saying Beetlejuice three times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014 edited
    Yeah, I'm with Steven on that. The best compilations are those that are concept albums in their own right, preferably with some thought as to the sequencing of tracks and overall structure (just because there are cues from different scores doesn't mean it can't hold together like an album -- a good example is the Varese Sarabande 30th set, in which each disc has its own mood and narrative).

But many great cues. A fine playlist, I'm sure.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Aside from the inclusion of the hateful and execreable Eboliana Tormentini, a most laudable compilation, heavy on the thematic and epic side! I like it! This should go well as a sort of 'very best of' type CD.

I actually wikied that name before I realized what happened wink
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The best compilations are the ones I make with no fucks given about anyone else's tastes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You don't say!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    The best compilations are the ones I make with no fucks given about anyone else's tastes.

-Erik-

I'd dare to say the same about albums but Thor lurks these parts... freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I don't give a f*** about anyone else's taste either. I like what I like, and dislike what I dislike. But I will always defend the artist's right to present his or her work any which way he or she wants -- as long as there IS some thought to it and not just a matter of verbatim transferring cues from one medium to another.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    All this from Kevin posting a personal compilation track list. You're something else, Thor. Wow!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not sure I understand the issue? (If indeed there is one?) Are Erik and Edmund suggesting that discussing preferences concerning playlists is tantamount to critisicm? confused
  4. Nah, I was just agreeing with Erik - the best albums, playlists, compilations etc. are invariably going to be those I make myself, rather than (with all respect to the album producer) those which are made for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ah, this seems to have become an allegory about "produced" film music albums vs "unproduced" ones. If that is the case, then I hate to say I think what's been said is bollocks, but I do. Listen to "Let's Get Out of Here" on the original Star Trek V album - a tight, thrilling, frankly magnificent piece of action/adventure music which runs 5:13. Then listen to the two pieces (running 6:49) from which it was edited (on the expanded version of the soundtrack) - film-specific, perfect in context but oddly unfocused-sounding on disc. If you could edit out those 96 seconds for your playlist the way Jerry Goldsmith did for his album then you have my respect, because I bloody well couldn't.
  5. That's a slightly different issue. When I edit down albums I generally take out tracks which I feel don't add much to the experience or are dull...occasionally I'll split a longer cue into better and worse "parts", but something like your Goldsmith example would be beyond me. I don't have that much time on my hands. I'll just say that sometimes the film version really is superior to the edited version - hello, "Desert Chase"!

In any case, that kind of situation would be a tricky one for me to handle, with the completist in me arguing for the 6:49 and the album listener preferring the 5:13. Probably for something like that I'd end up keeping both cues (which isn't ideal either), and pick which version depending on whether I just want a quick fix or really to immerse myself into the score.

But I emphasize once again, it's having the choice that I appreciate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's weird how this 'entitled choice'/interactive thing enters into the equation for a lot of people when it comes to soundtracks. After all, we don't usually say we have a choice to edit the films we see or choose the colours of the paintings we gaze on or choose the structuring of a book we read. But for some reason, for soundtracks, we automatically have the 'choice' to create our own artwork?!?

If you're like me and view soundtrack albums as independent, singular pieces of art on par with any other piece of music composed for its own sake, well then you'll probably also understand why I find this phenomenon peculiar.

I think it's the only artistic expression in this world where such a sentiment occurs.

Odd.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that, for me, a score or album doesn't demand to be listened to from beginning to end. Oh, the first time (or few times) I hear it, yeah, of course. I have to know what all the themes mean and how they're developed from beginning to end and how the narrative flow works. But after that, I can very easily pick a favorite cue and jump in without having lost anything by not having immediately listened to the wider context that cue is in. I shuffle my top cues playlists far more often than I listen to full albums, actually. Maybe that's why my taste in film music is more towards the easy-listening, action-packed and bombastic, immediate-gratification variety, rather than the subtle, dramatic, requires-multiple-listens variety.

Thor, I don't think your analogy of color choice in paintings is an apt one (that would be like us choosing the notes for the composer tongue ), but I see what you're saying with film editing. All I can say is, with music, I'm perfectly comfortable with shouldering some of the editing duties. There's no other artform where I'd feel OK doing that...maybe from time to time if the mood takes me I'll watch a favorite scene from a movie on YouTube or something, but not regularly. You have to go from beginning to end with a film or a book, but I just don't feel that's the case with a score. I view albums more as libraries, raw material from which I separate the gems. Maybe when I'm older and have a full-time job eating away at my life I won't have that mindset anymore... wink

Also, I will point out that there are a few films where you are given a certain "choice" as to how much of it you want to watch...I refer of course to director's cuts, deleted scenes, things such as the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions etc. It's still not fully in the hands of the viewer, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2014 edited
    Yeah, there are a couple of things there that demonstrate how differently you and I view and experience soundtrack albums.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that, for me, a score or album doesn't demand to be listened to from beginning to end. Oh, the first time (or few times) I hear it, yeah, of course. I have to know what all the themes mean and how they're developed from beginning to end and how the narrative flow works. But after that, I can very easily pick a favorite cue and jump in without having lost anything by not having immediately listened to the wider context that cue is in.

Yes, and I almost always prefer to listen to the album from start to finish (at least untill other activities force me to press stop). It's the journey, not the moments.

I view albums more as libraries, raw material from which I separate the gems. Maybe when I'm older and have a full-time job eating away at my life I won't have that mindset anymore... wink

This is also a big difference between us. I view the film score as the raw material which the producer then uses to create a NEW artwork -- the soundtrack album -- which is a full complete artwork only when he or she has made these choices (selecting cues, sequence, editing things together, creating a new narrative etc.). If he has NOT made these choices, it's basically just a document or archive of audio material. And that is of no interest to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2014
    sleep
  7. I listen to film music because I got aware of it when watching a film. If I (a) like the film and (b) I like the music, the music then allows me to dive into the film again without watching it. So I have come to almost always listen to a CD (be it album or C&C) from start to finish. I often prefer the C&C version but there are exceptions. Film music of which I don't know the film has mostly little meaning for me. As absolute music I prefer classical symphonic music.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Initially I was quite ready to defend you Thor, but I think you're ignoring a few points. First, it's a lot easier to make a playlist than it is to edit a film, for self-evident reasons. Secondly, music is more abstract than a movie. Moving around a few tracks will not suddenly make an album unlistenable, but doing that to a film probably will make it unwatchable (not least because albums come in discrete packages called 'tracks'). Custom playlists make sense, because they're easy to create and they enable the user to dictate the flow of the album to their own tastes. Also, custom artwork makes sense for similar reasons; it's easy to implement. Most people still buy physical copies of films, so what would be the point of custom artwork? With digital albums, you can draw a picture of a dick for all I care. Whatever makes you happy.

Simple as that.
    Boom.
    Next.

I agree about listening to an album from start to finish. I enjoy the journey too, the musical narrative. This is one of the reasons I love listening to film music. It's the musical story telling that attracts me to film music, among other things. But you begin to venture into crazy dogmaland by suggesting that albums should always be something entirely divorced from the film, something that is its own self-contained entity. Not only that, but equal artistry to the music itself (!?). Some of this makes sense, a good album is a fine thing. It certainly doesn't always need to follow the film's narrative, or indeed have all the music (in fact, rarely do I think a soundtrack album benefits from a complete and chronological presentation, as much as it pains me to mention that over-used phrase). But sometimes, perhaps even often, a film score album largely benefits from at least loosely following the flow of the film. Sure, move a few themes around, put the odd track here instead of there, like a lot of John Williams albums, but in general sticking to the film's narrative is a safe bet. You are after all listening to a piece of music that was designed for a film, not an album, despite what you believe about albums. You seem to place album creation on this unreachable pedestal, and it's just not true. Even I can make a decent album from the 'raw materials'. If you can't, you've either not got the time, inclination or patience for it, which is fair enough, or you're retarded.

Of course, it's just a case of whatever works best for a given score, and often that's subjective. Hence, we end up back at custom playlists and even custom edits. (About 60-70% of the albums on my phone are edited come to think of it.)

But just to clarify my original point, I do prefer playlists with a theme (I.e. a context). I can certainly enjoy a random playlist of great themes, but I prefer to have at least some thread to tie them together. I think that's quite different to what Thor is talking about now that he's elaborated a little.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I listen to film music because I got aware of it when watching a film. If I (a) like the film and (b) I like the music, the music then allows me to dive into the film again without watching it. So I have come to almost always listen to a CD (be it album or C&C) from start to finish. I often prefer the C&C version but there are exceptions. Film music of which I don't know the film has mostly little meaning for me. As absolute music I prefer classical symphonic music.

smile Volker

I think yours is a case of being a film fan first, and a film music fan second. I would hazard a guess that it's the opposite for most people here.

Expect pitchforks in the early hours of the morning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Initially I was quite ready to defend you Thor, but I think you're ignoring a few points. First, it's a lot easier to make a playlist than it is to edit a film, for self-evident reasons. Secondly, music is more abstract than a movie. Moving around a few tracks will not suddenly make an album unlistenable, but doing that to a film probably will make it unwatchable (not least because albums come in discrete packages called 'tracks'). Custom playlists make sense, because they're easy to create and they enable the user to dictate the flow of the album to their own tastes. Also, custom artwork makes sense for similar reasons; it's easy to implement. Most people still buy physical copies of films, so what would be the point of custom artwork? With digital albums, you can draw a picture of a dick for all I care. Whatever makes you happy.

Simple as that.
    Boom.
    Next.

I agree about listening to an album from start to finish. I enjoy the journey too, the musical narrative. This is one of the reasons I love listening to film music. It's the musical story telling that attracts me to film music, among other things. But you begin to venture into crazy dogmaland by suggesting that albums should always be something entirely divorced from the film, something that is its own self-contained entity. Not only that, but equal artistry to the music itself (!?). Some of this makes sense, a good album is a fine thing. It certainly doesn't always need to follow the film's narrative, or indeed have all the music (in fact, rarely do I think a soundtrack album benefits from a complete and chronological presentation, as much as it pains me to mention that over-used phrase). But sometimes, perhaps even often, a film score album largely benefits from at least loosely following the flow of the film. Sure, move a few themes around, put the odd track here instead of there, like a lot of John Williams albums, but in general sticking to the film's narrative is a safe bet. You are after all listening to a piece of music that was designed for a film, not an album, despite what you believe about albums. You seem to place album creation on this unreachable pedestal, and it's just not true. Even I can make a decent album from the 'raw materials'. If you can't, you've either not got the time, inclination or patience for it, which is fair enough, or you're retarded.

Of course, it's just a case of whatever works best for a given score, and often that's subjective. Hence, we end up back at custom playlists and even custom edits. (About 60-70% of the albums on my phone are edited come to think of it.)

But just to clarify my original point, I do prefer playlists with a theme (I.e. a context). I can certainly enjoy a random playlist of great themes, but I prefer to have at least some thread to tie them together. I think that's quite different to what Thor is talking about now that he's elaborated a little.

Brilliant post. Totally agree.

I'm also in agreement with your second post, I'm a film music fan first with a few exceptions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Well, for all it's worth, this is one of my favourite playlists I made many years ago that I still like to revisit. It is called Knighthood and Fantasy. Inhave similar playlists for Western and Space Opera:

1. El Cid Overture - Miklos Rozsa
    2. Kingdom of Heaven: Burning the Past
    3. Kingdom of Heaven: The Pilgrim Road - Harry Gregson Williams
    4. The Lion in Winter (Suite) - John Barry
    5. Ben Hur Ouverture - Miklos Rozsa
    6. Lancelot and Guinivere (Theme) - Ron Goodwin
    7. Merlin (Theme) - Trevor Jones
    8. Ivanhoe Overture - Miklos Rozsa
    9. The Mists of Avalon (Theme) - Lee Holdrige
    10. The Lord of the Rings Theme - Leonard Rosenman
    11. Siegfried's Funeral March (Götterdämmerung) / Excalibur Finale - Richard Wagner
    12. Peter Pan: Flying - James Newton Howard
    13. Knights of the Round Table (Theme) - Miklos Rozsa
    14. The Wizzard of Oz (Suite) - Harold Arlen
    15. Clash of the Titans (Theme) - Laurence Rosenthal
    16. Willow: Elora Danan - James Horner
    17. Atlantis (Theme) - James Newton Howard
    18. Conan the Babarian: Anvil of Crom - Basil Poledouris

Cover art: http://www.fineartprintsondemand.com/ar … ur-400.jpg

knight
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I listen to film music because I got aware of it when watching a film. If I (a) like the film and (b) I like the music, the music then allows me to dive into the film again without watching it. So I have come to almost always listen to a CD (be it album or C&C) from start to finish. I often prefer the C&C version but there are exceptions. Film music of which I don't know the film has mostly little meaning for me. As absolute music I prefer classical symphonic music.

smile Volker

Yeah, this is the big mystery with you, Volker. You and I share a similar taste in pop/rock/electronic albums with a clearcut concept feel. Yet that somehow evaporates when you switch to soundtracks. Then the film is in focus. For me, those concept albums in other genres are the very basis on which my soundtrack interest was formed. For you, they exist in a different universe.

It's strange how we can be so similar and yet so different at the same time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Initially I was quite ready to defend you Thor, but I think you're ignoring a few points. First, it's a lot easier to make a playlist than it is to edit a film, for self-evident reasons. Secondly, music is more abstract than a movie. Moving around a few tracks will not suddenly make an album unlistenable, but doing that to a film probably will make it unwatchable (not least because albums come in discrete packages called 'tracks'). Custom playlists make sense, because they're easy to create and they enable the user to dictate the flow of the album to their own tastes.

I disagree, and also think you're missing the point. First of all (and I've said this quite a few times now), playlists and albums are two completely different things. The first is a personal mix, a la those old cassette tapes we made in our youth (if you're old enough to remember), and album is a piece of artwork created by a person who knows that particular craft or artwork. Just as you would probably prefer a plumber to fix your sink or a carpenter to fix your house than do-it-yourself unless you're pretty well-versed in those crafts. There is absolutely NO difference to me between a George Martin or Phil Spector or Alan Parsons and a John Williams or Elliot Goldenthal or Robert Townson, for that matter.

But you begin to venture into crazy dogmaland by suggesting that albums should always be something entirely divorced from the film, something that is its own self-contained entity. Not only that, but equal artistry to the music itself (!?).

Yes indeed, and I stand by that very firmly. And thankfully, I have most composers with me on that issue (that the album is its own thing). I personally don't care if the music comes from a film or a pink elephant in the jungles of Peru. The source is irrelevant, the end result is everything. In fact, I wouldnt' even mind if they slapped on a different cover and called it something else, just to distance themselves from the film even more.

But sometimes, perhaps even often, a film score album largely benefits from at least loosely following the flow of the film. Sure, move a few themes around, put the odd track here instead of there, like a lot of John Williams albums, but in general sticking to the film's narrative is a safe bet.

Sometimes, not always. What should be in focus is: "here is the film's score. It's my raw material. How can I transfer this music to a completely different medium based on that medium's terms? How can it make sense in the new medium?". If that means following a loose interpretation of the film's story, great. If not, feel free to throw everything around so that it makes MOST possible sense in a purely musical way.

You seem to place album creation on this unreachable pedestal, and it's just not true.

Not really. It's a craft you can learn like any other. Most album producers who are not themselves composers have done so, like the aforementioned Townson. All I'm doing is heigtening it to the level of the ARTIST's domain, which is fairly reasonable. Just as I respect the filmmaker's decisions in making the film the way HE wants. And then it's up to me whether I like it or not.

What provokes me a bit with you and others' view is that you LESSEN it to an interactive thing for Joe Schmoe, and in so doing undermining soundtrack albums as an artform. It's a bit offensive, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I'm still not convinced that album production should be elevated to an artform on the same level as, say, the actual composition of the music. For me it's a craft. Are professionals better at it than me? Undoubtedly, the same way a professional baker can make a loaf of bread far more quickly and far more deliciously than I can. But that doesn't mean I can't bake my own bread and still have it taste pretty darn good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm still not convinced that album production should be elevated to an artform on the same level as, say, the actual composition of the music.

Yeah, therein lies our difference. The structuring of music -- whether it is for a film or a play or an album (or film first and album second) -- has always been considered an artform to me. Just as much as the actual composition.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    dizzy

Mental. But, whatever works for you.