• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014 edited
    I couldn't find a topic for this composer, who received a Golden Globe nomination today, so I thought I'd create one.

Here's my review of the score for BIRDMAN, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/12/11/birdm … o-sanchez/

Jon
  1. I think the percussion score works well to articulate the humour of the film. It's positioning often reflects comic timing, and undercuts emotion in favour of a laugh. The film's capacity to laugh at its hero's troubles was the thing that saved it for me, so this scoring choice felt like apt emphasis.

It does also manage to make the film it's own thing, with a score well outside the usual texture. (Third Man's zither, Brokeback Mountain's petal steel, etc.)

As for the diegetic spill issue, that isn't any more vexing than that strange snake charmer that played the Bond theme, or Atonement's umbrella games. This film rams together some techniques we associate with realism (the fluid long takes, anamorphic distortion) with others that speak to an impossible reality (impossible imagery, an internal voice). The purpose of that ramming seems to be to capture reality as it seems to this person - you can't pick the boundary between the real and the imagery so cleanly. You're as confused as he is. The on-screen drummer almost epitomises this.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014
    Since franz repeated his FSM post, I'll repeat mine too:

On album, it's basically unlistenable.

In the film, it works slightly better as a neurotic pulse, but I found the film overrated anyway. The 'meta' perspective of the drummer was nice enough, but unless we're talking Godard or comic relief a la Mel Brooks' orchestra in BLAZING SADDLES, I'm not really into those kinds of things.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I wonder why it's excluded from the recently announced Oscar list?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    anamorphic distortion

That sounds like a horrific affliction, where someone's legs may suddenly turn into ellipses. shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Vignetting would have been a better choice of words.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I wonder why it's excluded from the recently announced Oscar list?

Probably because of the importance played by all the classical music in the film. There's too strong a risk that someone voting for the music of that film is voting for Rachmaninov.
    (Having said that, Australia's tv-based film review show, featuring one reviewer of advanced years, strangely cited the percussion score as a highlight of the film for them.)