• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2015
    Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Gorgeous, although I had to check to make sure "The Chairman's Waltz" wasn't ghost written by Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Searching for Bobby Fischer - James Horner

I know everyone else goes on about Pixar's animated remake of this, Finding Nemo (some slight details were changed I think) but for me this is the real deal.

Curiously, I had a dream last night, wherein I had started a label of some sort(???), and Robert Townson asked me if I wanted to write an introduction, and he the liner notes for a new release of BOBBY FISCHER that they were doing at Varese, and later he would provide the introduction and me the liner notes for my own releases.

Very weird, because I got the soundtrack just a couple of months ago, and have no particular relationship to it (although it's fine).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Curiously, I had a dream last night, wherein I had started a label of some sort(???)

I had a dream where you started a label as well. I woke up screaming. freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....I'm sure you're not alone.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. biggrin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote
    Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Gorgeous, although I had to check to make sure "The Chairman's Waltz" wasn't ghost written by Desplat.

That track is PURE Williams!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor starting a film music label is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Thor's Demise'
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor starting a film music label is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

-Erik-

Why, thank you. I think I just got the push I needed to start one. I will only release carefully arranged albums, and cover art that is abstract and not tied to any movie at all. I'm sure this will be a treasure trove.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ordered!

Wait, what?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Why, thank you. I think I just got the push I needed to start one. I will only release carefully arranged albums, and cover art that is abstract and not tied to any movie at all. I'm sure this will be a treasure trove.

I can't wait to start the Boycott Thor's Record Label Facebook page and Twitter account!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Will you be offering autographed copies? I am willing to autograph some.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Will you be re-releasing this gem thru Thor's label, James? I wonder how he'll butcher this masterpiece.
    http://www.movie-wave.net/pr-new-releas … e-records/

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "Pants"
    Words and music by Randy Newman

Gonna take off my pants
    Gonna take off my pants
    Gonna take off my pants
    Gonna take off my pants

And your mama can't stop me
    And your papa can't stop me
    And the police can't stop me
    No one can stop me

Gonna do it right now
    Gonna do it right now
    I'm gonna take off my pants
    Gonna take off my pants

And your teachers can't stop me
    And your priests can't stop me
    And your firemen can't stop me
    And the President can't stop me

Will you take off my pants?
    Will you take off my pants?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Will you be offering autographed copies? I am willing to autograph some.

No, but I will be providing karaoke renditions of the main themes, upon request. Providing the hotel has a PA system.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Your logo pretty much designs itself.

And yes, my paint skills are legendary as you can see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I thought THIS was his logo...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Both would be brilliant!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I checked: Mjølnir Records, Hammer Records and Thor Records exist already. Maybe Nordic Ambiance Records?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As the dog and gramophone is an icon of music labels, perhaps yours could get in on that action?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Land Before Time - James Horner

It might be mostly pilfered from elsewhere, but it's so damn good. One of the best things he ever did.
  4. NP: Christine - John Carpenter

Full of Carpenter's trademark synths from his "heyday". As with a lot of Carpenter's music, there's some excellent thematic material balanced by effective atmospheric stuff too.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. NP: The Thing - Ennio Morricone & John Carpenter

BSX's recreation of this score is a great achievement and it's very close to the OST. The inclusion of Carpenter's tracks makes the album feel it's the score from the film - I've always missed Carpenter's contribution to the score on the album. Those few new tracks sound like vintage Carpenter and are very prominent in the film itself.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey Broughton

Was really on the fence about getting this expansion as I thought the original album was enough for me but I actually think this presentation works better. The themes are stunningly good, the orchestration astounding and the sound quality brilliant on this new release. Great music!
  7. Superman Williams

I finally picked up the Debney rerecording with the RSNO. Don't judge me but I've never actually really engaged with this score outside of some key tracks but the clarity of this recording and the passion of the playing is a revelation to me, 'Jonathan's Death' and 'Leaving Home' are just heartbreakingly beautiful. Of course that's just the tip of the iceberg, think this is going to get a lot of plays...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2015 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Haunted Palace - Ronald Stein

Features one of my favourite theme for a film.

https://youtu.be/t2tZ1MdnzxY

The video contains the original title sequence where the theme gets a vigorous outing at about 1:14. Arachnophobes may want to avoid the video due to the presence of a spider!

Thank you.
    Duely skipped.

(Thank heavens I have the original CD so I can simply re-listen rather than subject myself to crawling nightmares).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Thing From Another World - Dimitri Tiomkin

Such a menacing score despite the music suffering a bit from the "archival sound".

Wasn't there a re-recording done? Or was that a suite?
    I'll have to look into my musical archives.
  8. Tried to play AI Artificial Intelligence but my nice keeps playing the piano, so that was that.

smile Volker
  9. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Thing From Another World - Dimitri Tiomkin

Such a menacing score despite the music suffering a bit from the "archival sound".

Wasn't there a re-recording done? Or was that a suite?
    I'll have to look into my musical archives.

Charles Gerhardt did do a 10-minute suite, though I haven't heard it.
  10. Captain Future wrote
    Tried to play AI Artificial Intelligence but my nice keeps playing the piano, so that was that.

smile Volker

Try to make her play Monica's Theme... and if she's down for it and she's really good, she could try The Search for the Blue Fairy.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website