• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    It's highest on mine, but as I said I can understand how non-stop, frenetic action music would be too much. If I was making an album for others to listen to, I would prefer some breaks in between.

It used to be highest on mine, I never noticed any sudden change. I wonder if you'll still be an action music junkie 30-40 years from now?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015
    In the 20 years (or so) of being a film music fan, my tastes have certainly broadened, but I don't think my preferences have changed all that much. So... I don't know. Difficult to gauge that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Star Wars: Battlefront Gordy Haab

Wow...

I could have been told this was from the new Force Awakens score and I wouldn't have had any suspicions.

Or it's just Star Wars temp love. Yeah, Haab can do a pretty good Williams impression but the temp track is so obvious. I mean, the second track is essentially the opening battle music from Revenge of the Sith. And the first half of the first track is The Imperial Probe music from Empire mixed with The Phantom Menace.

These scores are fun but so incredibly frustrating to listen to.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Star Wars: Kinect Gordy Haab & Kyle Newmaster

Why didn't I know about this!? Apparently this was released about three years ago. This is excellent, it's non-stop Williamsesque action scoring. People with tinnitus need not apply (except Erik).

I played this on my show back in 2012.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/star-wars … niversary/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I'm not sure if my #1 love goes to themes or action music, so I'll just cop out and say "thematic action music". tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm not sure if my #1 love goes to themes or action music, so I'll just cop out and say "thematic action music". tongue

Ahhhhhh! Now I love thematic action music. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

I don't find it frustrating at all, quite the opposite really. It's great to hear someone emulate Williams' style so well, which fills me with hope that should Williams quit (or die) before this new trilogy is completed, there is, well, hope... provided the producers make the right decisions.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    In the 20 years (or so) of being a film music fan

Twenty years!? By Cthullu's ink stained Y-fronts but you make me feel old. spin
  2. 1. Excellent music. The pastiche is so perfect it's almost creepy.
    2. I would would appreciate very much if Williams brought something new to the table, just as he did in the prequels.
    3. If someone else took over scoring for E VIII and IX I would hope for someone who actually studied composition, not some half assed self thought amateur who is fooling around with a computer. Someone who is capable of upholding the classical tradition. I would not expect him to do a sheer pastiche. I would ask him to stay within recognizable parameters but develop his own interpretation of the musical language that Williams provided.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Think how Southall must feel.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Think how Southall must feel.

I'm trying but it's beyond me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I don't find it frustrating at all, quite the opposite really. It's great to hear someone emulate Williams' style so well, which fills me with hope that should Williams quit (or die) before this new trilogy is completed, there is, well, hope... provided the producers make the right decisions.

I have no problem with someone emulating a style. I have a huge problem with temp love, which Haab's scores are full of.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm less bothered by temp tracks, though I can understand why the principle annoys you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban John Williams

As much as I'm enjoying my newly discovered Williams impersonator, there really is no substitution for the real thing (Haab's music was clearly 'inspired' by the action music in this score).

My favourite HP score. (Tomato is a close second.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015
    Heavens, this is such a good score. I love Desplat's music for the series, but no one had any hope (not even the esteemed Frenchman) of topping this score. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

That actually took me a second to figure out.
    Well played, Sir. biggrin applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

As much as I'm enjoying my newly discovered Williams impersonator, there really is no substitution for the real thing (Haab's music was clearly 'inspired' by the action music in this score).

its not only the best hp score, ut's the best jowh nwwilmasmnm score in the last 1+ year.s
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fuck off.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

its not only the best hp score, ut's the best jowh nwwilmasmnm score in the last 1+ year.s

I must say, I disagree with the grammar of your remark. Usgwiewh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yeah yea yeah. it's what we all make of it. this is mu words.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av åler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015 edited
    NP: Alien Terrors - Gavino Morretti

Catchy synth score for a 1982 US/Italian rip-off of Alien. Reminds me a lot of John Carpenter and Tangerine Dream. "Escape" is particularly good.

It's available to stream HERE or can be purchased as a red C58 cassette!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How the baby Jesus do you find these scores? Is there an Obscure Score Monthly subscription I should know about?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

That actually took me a second to figure out.
    Well played, Sir. biggrin applause

This is bad......this is very bad.

5 minutes and counting dizzy confused
  3. Steven wrote
    How the baby Jesus do you find these scores? Is there an Obscure Score Monthly subscription I should know about?

biggrin

The important thing is whether or not I am helping anyone discover new music to enjoy?

Re: Alien Terrors: "The Old Mine" has just gone VERY John Carpenter/Halloween.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The important thing is whether or not I am helping anyone discover new music to enjoy?

If that's your angle, your best bet would be...

NP: Alien Terrors - Gavino Morretti (additional music by Hans Zimmer)

Crikey. This sounds like The Rock, Gladiator and Star Wars combined.

I'd definitely give that a listen.
  4. biggrin

Yes, I suppose that's what's needed today a lot of the time.
  5. It looks like Thor just told himself to fuck off. He posted it immediately after another of his posts.

This is an intervention, Thor.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. NP: Vikings (Season 3) - Trevor Morris

Eighty minutes seems like a very long time. This album is okay but nothing too memorable nor original.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015 edited
    Perfume - Klimek, Heil and Tykwer.

Such a brilliant score. Been too long since I last heard it. It's so ripe with a rich, lush, dark romanticism and some gorgeous themes.