• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Looks like 1995 was when it all happened! Ironically, I think CRIMSON TIDE was a better score from that year than Jerry's output. wink

LOL biggrin

I presume you were joking? Right!?....or were you talking about ice cream and missed out Jerry's mate Ben?

wink

LOL. I think 1995 was not a strong theme for Goldsmith - I love the theme from POWDER, but CRIMSON TIDE is a pretty strong score, stronger than many of the MV scores that immediately followed.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    Wow, must have been quite an experience, Thor. So do you know of other CD releases than "Filmmusik", "En sang for Martin" & "SÃ¥ som i himmelen"? It seems so strange that such a legendary composer who composes gold on a constant basis is represented so little on the CD market.

I also have a CD called LATERNA MAGICA which was released some years ago. This includes selections of Norwegian (and Scandinavian) film and TV music, among them two tracks from SKJÆRGÅRDSDOKTOREN. I'd love to see some of his old stuff for Hasse and Tage released, such as the swashbuckling JIM OG PIRATERNE, for example. Great material there.

"Gabriella's song" from "SÃ¥ som i himmelen" - A wonderful ballad. Try it a few times, even if you're not usually into songs.

YES! That's an amazing song!!! Stefan showed a couple of scenes from this film in his lecture, and although few of the audience members had seen it before (including myself), it struck an immediate chord! People were sitting around me and crying their eyes out. I was moved myself, although I didn't cry (I almost never do). So the effect of this scene (it was the final performance by the local choir) was not so much related to the understanding of the story, but the pure combination of visuals and that drop dead gorgeus melody!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I tried a google search for "Laterna magica", but got almost no search results, so it must be a rare album. Does it contain music that is not on the "Filmmusik" release?

Wish I knew about his older stuff, I'd love to hear some swashbuckling Nilsson. I do wonder sometimes whether he can compose upbeat or suspense music, as everything I hear by him is simply calming and gorgeous.

I felt emotional during that utube clip, it's quite a scene. I haven't seen the movie, but it's funny how much one can tell about the story from that beautiful scene alone.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008 edited
    plindboe wrote
    I tried a google search for "Laterna magica", but got almost no search results, so it must be a rare album. Does it contain music that is not on the "Filmmusik" release?

I didn't realize it was that hard to come by, but it makes sense, as it was only released in Norway on the daworks label. The only thing I could find on the net was a track listing on a Eastern European site (it only has the track titles, not the film's name):

http://www.freedb.jestemzajebisty.pl/di … k-246.html

I don't think it has anything that was not on the Filmmusik sampler, no.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It's a Polish website.

Translating the website's name to English it's

www.freedb.imfuckingcool.pl biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Looks like an interesting album, with lots of international selections, instead of the usual Hollywood stuff.

Peter smile
  3. I'd say Jeff Rona as well. His score to White Squall is great and his new one to Sharkwater is very beautiful. But he certainly doesn't seem to be very well recognized by most studios, or I'm sure he'd be picked to do more great composing! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    Really? I always thought that everything i've heard from Jeff Rona is painfully mediocre so far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I think he has a smaller lot to choose from. It seems like he hasn't done that many scores to choose from, but of the few I've heard, I've really enjoyed. He definitely has a simpler style, but I like that when I need it. For me it's sometimes refreshing to my ears to hear a nice score that's not so complex all the time. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008 edited
    I'd like to hear more from Lee Holdridge. He seems to be going the documentary route, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since it's an opportunity for some dramatic music.

And what happened to Michael Convertino? He had such lovely scores for Mother Night and Wrestling Ernest Hemingway.

Agree with previous posts about David Newman and John Scott being very underused - I'd love to hear another rousing adventure score from either of them.

Christopher Gordon seems like a talented composer although some of his scores aren't as emotive for me. I liked what I've heard from On the Beach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    CRAIG SAFAN

Just been listening to the classic 80s sci-fi score to The Last Starfighter. I LOVE this score!
    Sure the eighties cheesy/cutesy synths that pops up now and then dates it a bit but the brass work is exceptional. Great main theme and cool 'space opera' action cues support one of the better teenage fantasy films from that era.
    A year later a now forgotten film called Remo Williams was released with a good score that could almost be called "The Last Starfighter 2" due to strong musical similarities.
    A few short years later a western historical tele-movie titled Son Of The Morning Star was made with a wonderful soundtrack featuring a main title theme based very closely on Vaughan William's Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis.
    It's a powerful peace of music that should be better known by film score fans.

All these scores and and a mere handfull of others not mentioned here were composed by Craig Safan.
    This man is a true talent and yet his career has never taken off! Well, yeah, he's written for television shows etc but not much more. Why is this the case?
    The same could be said about Bruce Broughton (and has) but at least Broughton has written a fair number of scores throughout the years. Not so for Safan.

I hope there may one day be an opportunity for Craig Safan to write a score to a major film project and once again be recognised for the talent he is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Did anyone listen to scores by Christopher L. Stone? IMO he's a pretty talented but sadly underrated composer. "TaleSpin" is one of his best scores that I loved since childhood (it has several great cues I used to watch the show just to listen to!). "Fist of The North Star" and "Ticks" are also nice scores by him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DemonStar wrote
    Did anyone listen to scores by Christopher L. Stone? IMO he's a pretty talented but sadly underrated composer. "TaleSpin" is one of his best scores that I loved since childhood (it has several great cues I used to watch the show just to listen to!). "Fist of The North Star" and "Ticks" are also nice scores by him.

Cant say I've heard of him. Or the films (or shows) you've mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008 edited
    TaleSpin is a Disney animated show actually tongue You can watch many of the episodes at YouTube. I dunno about Fist of the North Star though... a friend happened to have the soundtracks ("Ticks" came with it) and I loved it biggrin

Interview with him - http://www.yiya.de/reviews/s/ston01e1.shtml
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2009
    Kaper, Raksin, Salter are three that come to mind.
    listen to more classical music!