• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Hm, yes, the good thing about counting sets of guesses is also that people will save up their guesses before they send them in. I have the tendency to send in one guess, kind of impulsively, as soon as I recognize it and that could be more work for the quiz master as well...

How much longer will this game be up? I will give it a try today. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008 edited
    Current scores:

Southall, franz_conrad, Thor, FalkirkBairn 40 points http://i30.tinypic.com/xms94p.jpg
    plindboe 34 points
    Tommy_Boy 33 points
    cool
    Timmer, NunoM 19 points spin
    Bregt 12 points
    Demetris 9 points
    Bregje 8 points wave
    BobdH 8 points
    Antineutrino 6 points wave

franz_conrad wrote
    I don't think it's a bad idea. I just think, having recently run the game though, it would have to be 2 SETS OF GUESSES. Otherwise the poor operator of the game could find themselves struggling to keep track of the scores, as Bhel has related above.

That's do-able! Two or three sets does seem manageable.

Bregje wrote
    Hm, yes, the good thing about counting sets of guesses is also that people will save up their guesses before they send them in. I have the tendency to send in one guess, kind of impulsively, as soon as I recognize it and that could be more work for the quiz master as well...

How much longer will this game be up? I will give it a try today. wave

Good point! BTW this will run till Saturday night (USA time). I'll post the answers around Sat night/Sun morning. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008 edited
    Current scores:
    Bregje leaps over several places... awesome performance!

Southall, franz_conrad, Thor, FalkirkBairn 40 points http://i30.tinypic.com/xms94p.jpg
    plindboe 34 points
    Tommy_Boy 33 points

Bregje 25 points dizzy
    Timmer, NunoM 19 points
    Bregt 12 points
    Demetris 9 points
    BobdH 8 points

Answers will be posted tomorrow night
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    Southall wrote
    What can I say?

Well, you can START by saying you're SORRY! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. James - will you have some clips ready, or should I send some over to Bregt?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008
    I'm afraid I will not - some other things intervened. Please go ahead and do your own, I'll do the next one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008
    Current scores:
    Bregje continues to foray ahead to 2nd place!

Bregje 35 points shocked shocked
    plindboe 34 points
    Tommy_Boy 33 points

Timmer, NunoM 19 points
    Bregt 12 points
    Demetris 9 points
    BobdH 8 points

Answers will be posted tonight!

BTW Thor, you should probably host a game sometime later too wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008 edited
    Final scores:

This must be a record of all sorts with a number of perfect scores and it's nice to see so many players smile
    It's a tie with 4 people at the top but one's hat is doffed chiefly at Southall's incredible performance scoring 39 points on the first shot!

A fantastic effort by many others especially Peter, Tommy_Boy and Bregje. Bregje started rather late but worked her way to 2nd place! http://i30.tinypic.com/30n9dg2.gif

Bregje 35 points shocked shocked
    plindboe 34 points
    Tommy_Boy 33 points

Timmer, NunoM 19 points
    Bregt 12 points
    Demetris 9 points
    BobdH 8 points
    Antineutrino 6 points

CD covers of recordings from which the clips were taken- http://i32.tinypic.com/2zzl0ly.jpg

01 Craig Armstrong - Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Opening [2007]
    The movie and score were massively ripped apart by critics and fans. But there are some pretty neat themes in this one. Most of the music in this score is by Armstrong. The cd strangely gives A R Rahman a co-credit for all cues while he composed just 4 of them (under 12 minutes). See Amazon MP3 for correct credit info. If only the composers had toned down the bombast... sad

02 Dario Marianelli - Pride and Prejudice - Liz On Top Of The World [2005]
    It could be every composer's dream to score a scene like this. Standing by a cliff with a picturesque view of the landscape and the camera panning out and doing a 360° turn. Marianelli scores this with gentle piano which builds its way to strings swirling, piano glistening... all romantic hearts swooning! Bravo Dario!

03 Craig Armstrong - Love Actually - Glasgow Love Theme [2003]
    Beautiful theme but you can see how thick the sound is... filling the full spectrum. It's not hard to see how this style extends to the score for Elizabeth: The Golden Age

04 Ryuichi Sakamoto - Femme Fatale - Bolerish [2002]
    That's a homage to Ravel's Bolero used to score a thrilling heist at Cannes film festival. DePalma and his bravura set-pieces!

05 Dario Marianelli - The Warrior - Acceptance [2001]
    Whoah! This one just slipped by everyone's radar. A beautiful film with a poignant score. This was the first film of the Asif Kapadia - Dario Marianelli collaboration

06 Rachel Portman - Chocolat - Main Titles [2000]
    A pretty, whimsical theme... exactly what Portman gets stereotyped for doing.

07 Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers - Klendathu Drop [1997]
    This was the easiest cue. Almost everyone identified it! smile

08 Christopher Gunning - Firelight - Louisa [1997]
    Gotta love that gorgeous violin solo! A beautiful score even if Gunning uses that theme a number of times throughout.

09 Rachel Portman - Road To Wellville - Road To Wellville [1994]
    Here's one for the fun quotient! An insanely happy theme for an equally funny movie. The clues should have made it obvious. It was amusing to see one of the folks guess (with tongue in cheek) Guantanamo as the place for weird therapy!

10 Christopher Gunning - Poirot - Hercule Poirot: the Belgian Detective [1989]
    A very popular theme especially if you've seen the Brit TV series starring David Suchet. Here's the opening title sequence- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbnK50Nd1WM

11 Ryuichi Sakamoto - The Last Emperor - First Coronation [1987]

12 Basil Poledouris - Amerika - The Meaning [1987]
    It's hard for me to not get misty-eyed when listening to this score. Poignant, rousing and striking an emotional chord immediately. One could say that it sums up what Basil meant to many of us.

13 Henry Mancini - Lifeforce - Lifeforce Theme [1985]
    A nice departure for Mancini with a chance to flex his muscles smile

14 Ennio Morricone - The Island - Main Title [1980]
    One of Morricone's first Hollywood films. A modern day pirate story with Michael Caine. There are hints of the theme for The Mission in the opening lines.

15 Henry Mancini - Pink Panther Strikes Again - Inspector Clouseau Theme [1976]
    This one is a re-recording. The original is slower in tempo. Beneath the delightful, whimsical surface lies a hint of a sad theme for Clouseau's character. Lonely and misunderstood.

16 Nino Rota - The Godfather II - The Immigrant [1974]
    As a big fan of the Italians I just had to stuff as many Rota and Morricone as I could smile

17 Nino Rota - Amarcord - L'emiro E Le Sue Odalisch [1973]
    Rota and goofing around. And returning to his playful waltz style in the end! I didn't realize it until Franz pointed out that the first part is Khachaturian's Sabre Dance- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUFWaauGPCs
    Nevertheless, you can make out the influence Rota had on Elfman. It did remind the great Thor of Elfman's Pee Wee sound.

18 Ennio Morricone - Uccellacci E Uccellini - Titoli Di Testa [1966]
    It took a while for some folks to figure this out. Who else would laugh at Ennio Morricone but Ennio himself! This was a neat idea for Pasolini's film. The main title is simply the credits sung out. Do check it out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=237CM6RZTdE

19 Alex North - Cleopatra - Overture [1963]
    This scores Cleopatra's entry into Rome on a chariot, dragged by hundreds of swaying slaves.

20 Alex North - Viva Zapata - Gathering of Forces [1952]
    My favorite North theme! And Jerry Goldsmith's too. Jerry would perform this at his concerts and comment everytime that it might have influenced a famous musical (Andrew Lloyd Webber's Evita). You could sing 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' to this!
    Massive North signatures all around chiefly with the brass. Many guessed Spartacus at first. There are many versions of this- FSM's Elmer box set, Jerry Goldsmith's recording with RSNO... but my fave one is Eric Stern with the London Symphony Orchestra.

Well, this game was certainly on the easier side and I'm glad that it went well without the track titles (even if I still contend that one doesn't need to listen to the full cd to figure the track title). I was initially counting the number of correct answers for each composer and score but lost track after a couple of days with the large number of PMs (yay for it being popular). And yes, I just wanted folks to have fun with it so I did nudge them in the right direction with the hints but they all did the work themselves.

I think I'll rest for a while and not host a game for a long time. I see we have plenty of folks to host the next few ones. And yes, Thor that includes you! smile

So... did you like some of the cues that you have not heard before? Do you plan to buy any of them?
  2. Thanks Bhel for a good game, and a nice rundown on the solutions.

I've sent the clips for the next game to Bregt. When he sends me the links, I'll start up a new thread.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. yeah, it was fun for once with the tips, the 2 composer deal and the chronological order, because for once I could get before Bregt in ranking biggrin

thanks heeps and let the next game begin smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008 edited
    I knew 2,3,6&7.Wonderful scores all of them!Next time I'll give the game a try! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. That was a really enjoyable game & thanks for the thorough breakdown of each clip.

I only knew 8 of the clips from the actual music - the rest was really down to detective work: recognising the composer, deciding on the range of years for a particular clip, guesswork.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008
    Great game BhelPuri! The choices were all interesting, fun and catchy. There were several of my all-time favorite themes in there, the massive "Klendathu drop", the gorgeous theme from "The island" and the funny but immensely catchy "Inspector Closeau" theme. Speaking of which, I especially love the rendition of the theme in this hilarious scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5kQHJ7v9ok

Peter biggrin