• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. SONY MUSIC TO RELEASE HE NAMED ME MALALA
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Available Now Digitally and on CD October 30

Score Written by Grammy©-winning Composer Thomas Newman

“One child, one teacher, one book and one pen can change the world.“ – Malala

(September 29 – New York) Sony Music proudly announces the release of HE NAMED ME MALALA (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack). The original score for the film was written by multiple Grammy© winner and Academy Award® nominee, Thomas Newman. The soundtrack is available now digitally and on CD October 30. HE NAMED ME MALALA opens in select theatres in New York and Los Angeles on October 2 and nationwide October 9.

Academy Award® winning director, Davis Guggenheim says of Thomas Newman’s score:
    “Watching Tom in his studio was pure artistry. His music brought the film to life pulling the characters’ emotional inner lives to the surface, threading and bonding the story together and allowing it to be fully realized.“

HE NAMED ME MALALA is an intimate portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai, who was targeted by the Taliban and severely wounded by a gunshot when returning home on her school bus in Pakistan’s Swat Valley. The then 15-year-old (she turned 18 this July) was singled out, along with her father, for advocating for girls’ education, and the attack on her sparked an outcry from supporters around the world. She miraculously survived and is now a leading campaigner for girls’ education globally as co-founder of the Malala Fund.

Acclaimed Academy Award®-winning documentary filmmaker Davis Guggenheim (An Inconvenient Truth, Waiting for Superman) shows us how Malala, her father Zia and her family are committed to fighting for education for all girls worldwide. The film gives us an inside glimpse into this extraordinary young girl’s life – from her close relationship with her father who inspired her love for education, to her impassioned speeches at the UN, to her everyday life with her parents and brothers.

Thomas Newman is one of the most respected and recognized composers in film today. With an illustrious career of over 30 years, Newman has scored more than 70 feature films. Coming from a prominent musical dynasty – his father was the renowned composer Alfred Newman, and singer/songwriter/composer Randy Newman is his cousin – he has been nominated for twelve Academy Awards® and has won an Emmy Award®, two BAFTA Awards and six Grammy Awards®. Newman has composed the scores for many other notable films, including American Beauty, Skyfall, Erin Brockovich, The Good German, Finding Nemo and Wall-E for Pixar as well as The Horse Whisperer, The Help and The Iron Lady.
    Sony Music Masterworks comprises Masterworks, Sony Classical, OKeh, Portrait, Masterworks Broadway and Flying Buddha imprints. For email updates and information please visit www.SonyMusicMasterworks.com.

HE NAMED ME MALALA (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) tracklisting:

1. A Pashtun Story
    2. I Am Malala
    3. Which Camera Now?
    4. July 12
    5. Ideology
    6. Headmaster
    7. Old Life New Life
    8. Bonfires
    9. Cat Burglar
    10. School v. Celebrity
    11. Courtship
    12. Birmingham
    13. Radio Mullah
    14. A Fiery Speaker
    15. Night
    16. Candies for Books
    17. No More There
    18. Peace Prize
    19. Refugees
    20. The Women
    21. Risk
    22. Speak What Is in Your Soul
    23. Grievous Injury
    24. 66 Million Girls
    25. The Same Malala
    26. Who Really I Am

BUY LINKS
    Amazon: http://smarturl.it/ost-malala-cd
    iTunes: http://smarturl.it/ost-malala
    Spotify: http://smarturl.it/ost-malala-str

For more information contact KrakowerPolingPR@gmail.com, or @KrakowerPoling on Twitter
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015
    I like this score. Very atmospheric and dreamy, with the highlight being "Speak What is in Your Soul".
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like it too -- it's an extension of the sound he explored in that hotel film recently.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Bregt wrote
    I like this score. Very atmospheric and dreamy, with the highlight being "Speak What is in Your Soul".

I actually prefer the first track, but yes, that one is the highlight.

While the score is nothing new for Newman, I think I like his venture into integrating even more synthesizers into his scores, because he does that in a very special way.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015 edited
    Oh yes, definitely. Then again, he's no stranger to electronics. There are several fine 80s synth scores by Newman. It's just that he veered a bit away from it in the 90s. I wish he did a pure, synth-only score again.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Pure synth. Not for me, I'd miss his idiosyncratic string sound. The best thing about the track I mentioned is a simple string progression that almost makes the whole cue!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    His synth scores are also VERY uniquely him. He's using many of the same chord progressions and harmonies and rhythmic figures as he does in his more orchestral scores, but specifically for the instrument's possibilities. I've recently started to explore this particular sound of his more carefully, and I've fallen totally in love with it.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. How is it with the accessibility of these electronic works of his?

When it comes to me and his string writing, it's just about how unique his expression is. I'd really miss Thomas Newman without that bit of the Thomas Newman sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    How is it with the accessibility of these electronic works of his?

Variable. Some of them are still missing. But scores like DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN, THE MAN WITH ONE RED SHOE, JUMPIN' JACK FLASH, LESS THAN ZERO, THE LOST BOYS, WELCOME HOME ROXY CARMICHAEL do have some kind of soundtrack release.

I love Newman's string sound too, but there's a lot more to his sound (and as I said -- some of the string harmonies he uses in stuff like SHAWSHANK, GREEN MILE, FRIED GREEN TOMATOES etc. also appear in the synth scores).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't speak for the others you list Thor but THE LOST BOYS has barely a minute and a half of Newman's score on the album, it doesn't get much more measly that that.

A favourite film and score, it would be an instant buy for me if/when released.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. It's not about the harmonies, though, it's about that unique Thomas Newman strings texture. That dreamy, magical, almost ethereal sound he gets out of the section is totally unique to him. No synth could replicate that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I can't speak for the others you list Thor but THE LOST BOYS has barely a minute and a half of Newman's score on the album, it doesn't get much more measly that that.

I thought they released a score album of this recently?!?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's not about the harmonies, though, it's about that unique Thomas Newman strings texture. That dreamy, magical, almost ethereal sound he gets out of the section is totally unique to him. No synth could replicate that!

Sure it can. Granted, a lot of the synth scores from the 80s are more about rhytmic figures, but there's some fine Newman 'ethereal' bits too.

Check out this and this from SUSAN.

This from ONE RED SHOE, especially from midway on.

This from JUMPIN JACK FLASH.

The gorgeous elegy from LIGHT OF DAY.

etc., etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Nah, it's not the same. The track from Light of Day comes closest but it's essentially a synth mockup of an orchestral piece anyway. I'm not saying I don't like those cues, but that intangible shimmering Newman-strings sound can only be got with actual strings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was talking more generally about the 'ethereal' qualities of his work; the harmonies etc. A lot of that can be found in the synth scores as well. Obviously, if it is the acoustic string sound one wants -- and only that -- you obviously have to go for the scores with acoustic strings.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. To me it's about the specific texture of the string section combined with the synthesizers that make his writing so special. That's why I dig the recent expansion of electronics in his most recent work. Because it's about expanding the delicate relationship of his ethereal stuff. But I'll gladly listen to his pure electronic work as well one day smile .
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Unless I was in a coma I didn't know about this score has never had a legit release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Unless I was in a coma I didn't know about this score has never had a legit release.

You're probably right. I must admit that half of all these releases come and go without me taking any notice (especially as far as expansions are concerned), so this must be something I've imagined.
    I am extremely serious.