• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2016
    Good. Phew. I was worried you were veering off topic there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Robocop Trois - BasilP

Good fun but it does go on a bit. I never had the old release and so will probably end up recreating it (if possible).
  1. NP: DUNE (1984) - Toto / Eno

It's rainy outside, a good cup of tea at hand, re-reading the novel and listening to this outstanding score. Things could be worse.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. That sounds lovely! (Except for me it would be Tolkien and Shore rather than Herbert and Toto). wink
  3. NP: Frank Herbert's Dune (2006) - Greame Revell

The sun has come out in the meantime. Well, Revell's score is something quite different compared to Toto's effort. If you free yourself from that comparison you will find much to like in this score.
    The mini series was marred by a weak cast / weak directing and poor practical effects. Yet it's sticks closer to the source material. Overall it is better than it's given credit for.
    Should DUNE ever again be tackled for any media I'd suggest Bear McCreary for the score.

Volker
  4. NP: Gods of Egypt (2016) - Marco Beltrami

I like this score more with every listen. I'll have to look into Ben-Hur again. I considered buying the CD today in a shop but didn't. (Bought a best-of Bob Dylan compilation instead. As probably fifty thousand people around the globe did during the last three days.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Technomancer Olivier Deriviere

I'm glad this has come later in his career, otherwise I probably would have given up on him fairly quickly. I'm sure it's very new and inventive, and no doubt fitting to the game... but this is certainly not going to win him may new fans.

Still not as bad as Inferno.
  5. It might win him Thor!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2016
    I don't think it's quite that bad, but I suppose we will see.
  6. NP: The Evil Dead - Joseph LoDuca

First listen. What an unusual score this is - not the horror-fest I expected. Such a wide variety of music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: The Omen - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellent!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Evil Dead - Joseph LoDuca

First listen. What an unusual score this is - not the horror-fest I expected. Such a wide variety of music.

You mean Ash vs Evil Dead? It's a great score/album!
  8. Nope. I mean The Evil Dead. This is one that I have missed listening to until now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah. Well, I highly recommend Ash vs Evil Dead!
  9. NP: Exodus: Gods and Generals (2014) - (Alberto Iglesias)

Nice score, if no masterpiece. The guy wailing in the opening cue seems in need of psychiatric treatment though.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: PAYCHECK - John Powell

The blend of orchestra and electronica in the Hog Chase cues is still some of the best modern action scoring I've ever heard; and it really stands up well, 13 years later.

This was the score which convinced me that Powell should be given a shot at James Bond.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016
    Starship Troopers - BasilP

Absolutely bloody brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016 edited
    X2 - John Ottman

This is actually . . . not horrible. It's actually perfectly listenable.

Edit:
    And perfectly temp-tracked! Clint Mansell, W. Kilar, wow. I forgot about this.
  10. NP: Ben-Hur (2016) - Marco Beltrami

Nice main theme. Solidly crafted score, some lame underscoring. Totally ignoring the genre. This could as well accompany a science fiction film.
    Suffices to listen to on Spotify. No CD purchase necessary.

Volker
  11. NP: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) - Patrick Doyle

This delightful score reminds me that Doyle is one of the finest film composers of our time working in the classical tradition .
  12. The Village - James Newton Howard

Signs is the more brilliant score, but "The Gravel Road" is my favorite JNH cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016
    THE VILLAGE is one of the few Shyamalan scores I really like.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2016
    Score wise it's

Unbreakable
    Signs
    The Village

Then the rest.

Film wise it follows the same order except Sixth Sense takes 3rd place, after that it's downhill for Shyamalan
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. NP: Alien - Jerry Goldsmith

Tracks such as 'The Craft', 'The Passage' and especially 'The Skeleton' are on a part with hid Vejur music from Star Trek: The Motion Picture in terms of scoring moody, scene-setting music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2016 edited
    NP: THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN (Danny Elfman)

Rather disappointing, which is surprising, because it's the textural/ambient/indie Elfman I prefer these days (I don't care for most of his big blockbuster Hollywood stuff). This simply doesn't go anywhere, and ends up being rather grating in its display of standardized thriller sounds. A far cry from other far superior scores these last few years, in similar territory. Maybe it will have more of a presence in the movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2016
    NP: MUSIC FROM THE EDGE (John Corigliano)

aka the rejected score from EDGE OF DARKNESS -- surely one of the best rejected scores ever. You can hear certain things that Goldenthal picked up from his mentor in this one, esp. the brass clusters.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. I'll have to check that out, Thor. I'm intrigued.

Sphere - Elliot Goldenthal

This is my favorite of Goldenthal's horror scores. Though they're all very good. And sincerely frightening.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016
    Sphere is bloody excellent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: INFERNO (Hans Zimmer)

A second go, and it occurs to me that the second half is -- on the whole -- SERIOUSLY better than the first.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And the final nail goes in...