• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Did anyone here see the film Pandorum? The trailer of Passengers seems to start from a similar premise.

Volker

PANDORUM is excellent! This is NOT a film anywhere in that territory, though. It's more a romantic love story on a doomed ship, like TITANIC. But they do have the 'stranded on a spaceship' theme in common (of course, in PANDORUM's case, there's a twist which I won't reveal).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Captain Future wrote
    Did anyone here see the film Pandorum? The trailer of Passengers seems to start from a similar premise.

Volker

Pandorum was a good science fiction thriller / horror film. but apart from the being alone part, I don't see the resemblances
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

PANDORUM is excellent! This is NOT a film anywhere in that territory, though. It's more a romantic love story on a doomed ship, like TITANIC. But they do have the 'stranded on a spaceship' theme in common (of course, in PANDORUM's case, there's a twist which I won't reveal).

Yes, and I suspect some such twist here. But anyway, I liked PANDORUM a lot too. I'll watch PASSENGERS and I'll know. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2016
    NP: ROGUE ONE (Michael Giacchino)

I tried, but I had to turn it off halfway because I was getting physically angry at what I was listening to. I can't remember the last time I had such a hatred towards a score and composer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

I wonder how you would conduct an interview with Giacchino?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The mind boggles.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote

I tried, but I had to turn it off halfway because I was getting physically angry at what I was listening to. I can't remember the last time I had such a hatred towards a score and composer.

face-palm-mt face-palm-mt face-palm-mt

suicide

I give up. I just...I can't fathom HOW this music could trigger that sort of reaction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not surprised I dislike it. I'm just surprised I dislike it THAT MUCH.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

suicide

I give up. I just...I can't fathom HOW this music could trigger that sort of reaction.

Pssst... it's Thor! That's all the explanation you need
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Rogue One Giacchino

It was strangely difficult for me to form an opinion on this as it has so much baggage. This is 'Star Wars' for goodness sake with what could be considered the greatest living composers most iconic work! But having seen the film twice now (absolutely incredible) and listened to the score endlessly I just love, love, love it!

It's not a Williams score, of course it isn't, but it's a damn fine Giacchino score and the first time I saw the film it didn't take me out of the film at all, it still felt like a 'Star Wars' film. Great themes, great orchestration and just thrilling, emotionally charged music all round!
  5. beer
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

suicide

Kinda like my reaction to... almost everything Harold Faltermeyer ever wrote.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Kinda like my reaction to... almost everything Harold Faltermeyer ever wrote.

To adopt an Erik Woods routine: Now you're just being mentally retarded! A looney! You are seriously ill!

wink

In all seriousness, you have the right to your opinion. Even if -- you know -- you are WRONG!

(the BEVERLY HILLS COP soundtracks are THE archival release of the year for me)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I'm not surprised I dislike it. I'm just surprised I dislike it THAT MUCH.

It's incredibly entertaining to see you unravel with each new Giacchino score. Just one more reason to look forward to them.
  7. You're talking about THE archival releases I will never ever listen to in my life? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    To adopt an Erik Woods routine: Now you're just being mentally retarded! A looney! You are seriously ill!

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!!!! I NEVER used the word retard. I'm not a monster you know!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

That's so fucking [spoiler]retarded![/spoiler]

-Erik-
  8. Star Wars: A New Hope - J. Willy

Feet up, head back, and I'm in the hands of the master.
    I often take for granted the Rebel fanfare. Throughout the original score, Williams wrangles so much momentum and excitement out of the theme. It's one of those perfect Williams musical ideas that move their cue like a propeller.
  9. Rogue One - M. Giacchino

I haven't anything to say here that hasn't already been posed -- except to predict that while many will listen to this score in wonder today, few of them will likely revisit the score with the same, renewable wonder thirty years from now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Rogue One - M. Giacchino

I haven't anything to say here that hasn't already been posed -- except to predict that while many will listen to this score in wonder today, few of them will likely revisit the score with the same, renewable wonder thirty years from now.

Well, no. But that's a wee unfair. This is the problem with remake / reboot culture; you're trying to reach the end of the rainbow. The next true Star Wars score will not be anything to do with Star Wars, but something new (or at least something unique). Giacchino has already written a few scores that will stand the test of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

That's so fucking retarded!

-Erik-

I was hoping in between the spoiler tags it'd say "your opinion". But no, as I should've expected, it's once again a typical Erik thing to say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It was a joke!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's nothing funny about retards, Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016
    NP: HOME ALONE 2 (John Williams)

Perfect for lazy summer nights like these.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. J. Flaherty wrote
    Rogue One - M. Giacchino

Of course not, but with that attitude you're not likely to enjoy many new scores are you, we might as well all stick to Beethoven!
  11. Cutthroat Island Debney

Great stuff!
  12. Just played: Rogue One - Michael Giacchino
    NP: The Force Awakens - John Williams

For some reason I always loved to listen to Star Wars music especially during Christmas season.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK BEYOND - Michael Giacchino

Really like this one. You should try it Thor, you'd love it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. yeah "Night on the Yorktown" is one of the cues of the year for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I also thought it was the most entertaining of "TOS" re-boot cast films, not least because it didn't keep referring to past moments ( Khan etc ) and winking at its audience.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt