• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2016
    I should probably develop some better metrics (my current database won't allow it easily so that'll be for another day) but my first glance bears out what I instinctively felt, that Gilles is quite right: that at least as my taste is concerned there are FAR more 5-star in the past than there are now (and indeed, I can't for the life of me rate examples like How To Train Your Dragon 2 or Peter Pan beyond OK).

But as I said I'll try and develop some better metrics: is a year with 10 4-star scores and no 5-star scores a better one than one with 2 5-star scores and nothing else? Stuff like that. Geeky considerations. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What you've done there is taken a reasonable approach to an interesting question (even though Dragon 2 is far more than 'okay'!) This isn't quite what Gilles is doing. There may be some truth to it; quality, despite its subjectivity, may be declining. If it's true, then it's true. But I think it's safe to say it's not nearly as bad as the Rose Tinted Spectacle brigade would imply. It's a bias. People have always thought like this, and always will I suspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2016 edited
    Stop talking about Giacch.....wait....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    quality, despite its subjectivity, may be declining. If it's true, then it's true.

Subjectivity being the operative phrase here.
    Even in a pretty regulated environment as large ICT projects I have found that, checklists and international standards notwithstanding, a Quality Manager's job is as much dependent on what people feel as what they can prove.

Now when we're talking about film scores we fall at the first hurdle. What IS quality? Who defines its standards, and when done, is it done with any kind of authority and global agreement?

Yeah, I generally prefer preceding decades for several types of scores, based on -indeed of course- pure personal bias. Even if I were to define a number of quality criteria, they'd still be criteria *I* find germane. Which means jackshit for anyone else.

It's a hopeless endeavour, and doomed from the start.

So.
    Yeah.
    OK... Now HOW about that ZIMMER guy, eh?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All valid points indeed. Subjectively (I guess?), I tend to disagree with those who flail about because scores sound different now than when they first began to listen to them. Isn't it incredible that the best scores seem to be those heard from our formative years? Anyway. I suppose my only real contention is those who don't take into account their own biases. (I'm biased against these sorts of people.)
  1. Steven wrote
    All valid points indeed. Subjectively (I guess?), I tend to disagree with those who flail about because scores sound different now than when they first began to listen to them. Isn't it incredible that the best scores seem to be those heard from our formative years? Anyway. I suppose my only real contention is those who don't take into account their own biases. (I'm biased against these sorts of people.)

I believe that it boils down to the point whether you use the classical tradition as the absolute standard of artistic expression or not. And I agree: You never again see a film or listen to music with the mind of a teenager. Whatever music we came to love then will stay with us all our live.

NP: Conan of Prague. Outstanding!

PS: "Epilogue / End Titles" from Conan rivals everything that ever existed in the world of film music.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Bandolero - Bandolero

Bandolero

Matt Damon?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016
    Lionheart - Lionheart

A wonderful score, but I wish the performance was better and the synths were replaced by orchestra.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Lionheart - Lionheart

A wonderful score, but I wish the performance was better and the synths were replaced by orchestra.

I had the original releases, Vol 1 & 2 on lp, never really cared for this score which has few highlights for me. Of course, this would now be best score of the year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love that score, especially the "Mathilda" track which is a showpiece, although I agree with James about the synths. I'm not sure which version I have, actually. I have a version.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Martijn wrote
    (and indeed, I can't for the life of me rate examples like How To Train Your Dragon 2 or Peter Pan beyond OK).

In that case you are beyond help. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It seems to me that these days, ok has become the new good and and good has become the new fantastic. sad

Not at all. But here's the point you seem to struggle with: we tend to forget the bad and remember the good (how many scores can you really name from each year as you go back in time compared to what you can name as you go forward?). You also have a debilitating bias; any less-than-great score is just further proof that quality is declining, and the past was better.

Now that's bollocks.

I agree with Martijn, in that during the last 10 years there hasn't been a whole lot of film music that I can call truly great, not of the same undeniable greatness that the 70s, 80s or 90s gave us. Here's a list of those that move or excite me, and that still tell me that occasionally (but getting more and more rare) something wonderful comes out:

Tron Legacy - Daft Punk
    Jupiter Ascending (custom version) - Giacchino
    For Greater Glory - Horner
    Space Battleship Yamato - Hiroshi Miyagawa & Naoki Sato
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (custom version) - Shore
    War Horse - Williams
    The Monkey King - Young
    Inception - Zimmer
    Interstellar (custom version) - Zimmer

Not a whole lot when I compare it to the earlier decades to be honest.

Desplat is overrated and Giacchino has shown me he has tremendous talent at the start of his career. But he has been more miss than hit in the last 5 years. I generally don't like Powell's music (way too hectic for my tastes) and the less said about Tyler, the better (he's a good musician though).

Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Saying Jurassic World is as good as Jurassic Park or The Lost World is utterly ridiculous. It has a good new theme but its action music is bland and repetitive.

I didn't say that.

But you implied it, that Jurassic World was among the best things you have ever heard. And to my ears it's just generic most of the time. I can get 10 minutes out of that score that is good to very good (and 1/3 of that is Williams). The rest is pretty lackluster.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought JURASSIC WORLD was a very good score.

Steven did not imply anything other than saying it had become one of his favourites by Mr Giacchino.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It seems to me that these days, ok has become the new good and and good has become the new fantastic. sad

Not at all. But here's the point you seem to struggle with: we tend to forget the bad and remember the good (how many scores can you really name from each year as you go back in time compared to what you can name as you go forward?). You also have a debilitating bias; any less-than-great score is just further proof that quality is declining, and the past was better.

Now that's bollocks.

I agree with Martijn, in that during the last 10 years there hasn't been a whole lot of film music that I can call truly great, not of the same undeniable greatness that the 70s, 80s or 90s gave us.

You guys are clearly not listening to enough. The last 15 years has produced a wonderful variety of GREAT film music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Now that's bollocks.

I agree with Martijn, in that during the last 10 years there hasn't been a whole lot of film music that I can call truly great, not of the same undeniable greatness that the 70s, 80s or 90s gave us.

You guys are clearly not listening to enough. The last 15 years has produced a wonderful variety of GREAT film music!

-Erik-

I agree with Erik, although my list of scores within this 'wide variety' would -- I suspect -- look very different from his.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Saying Jurassic World is as good as Jurassic Park or The Lost World is utterly ridiculous. It has a good new theme but its action music is bland and repetitive.

I didn't say that.

But you implied it

No, I didn't. I didn't even compare them. I said it's my favourite Giacchino score* (and I can even understand I'm in a minority of one there). Anyway. Like Erik said, you're just not paying attention to enough scores.

*Probably. Depends on the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Desplat is overrated and Giacchino has shown me he has tremendous talent at the start of his career. But he has been more miss than hit in the last 5 years. I generally don't like Powell's music (way too hectic for my tastes) and the less said about Tyler, the better (he's a good musician though).

That's a monumentally odd comment.
  3. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

That's a monumentally odd comment.

Well it's an odd comment coming from a complete oddball, so in that way it's a pretty normal post. tongue

Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You're right about that... I have very little interest in hearing something new, I've been disappointed too many times. Instead I just reach for something worthwhile out of my collection.

I've given things a chance that most everyone here praises and most of the time I found it to be seriously overrated. Like for instance Maleficent. Everyone and their cat rates this as something remarkable and wonderful and a return to big form, it only gets 3,5 stars from me. At one point I gave it a 4 because I wanted to like it, but after hearing it one more time it came down a notch. I had to, the album drags to be even considered a 4. Even Horner's Wolf Totem, being the huge fan I am of the man's music, didn't set me alight at all. And if it doesn't after 5 spins it probably never will. The same with The Force Awakens, but I've already mentioned that once. There's just something about today's scores that will never be as good.

I'm thick-headed, biased, and ignorant.

Guilty as charged.

For my prison sentence I would like a CD-player in my cell with Star Wars ep 4-5-6 discs (all 6 of them please).
    Thank you. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ELECTRIC DREAMS (Giorgio Moroder/various)

punk
    I am extremely serious.
  4. DreamTheater wrote

There's just something about today's scores that will never be as good.

Yes. Your age. wink
  5. I wonder, Gilles, if it's less to do with the music and more to do with, well, you. Like, if there was some great Goldsmith or Horner score from the 80s or 90s that you had never heard a single note of before, I wonder if you'd have the same difficulty getting into that as you do with a lot of today's scores. I'm not even that old yet and I'm already noticing that I don't have quite the same visceral reactions to newly-discovered music (or films, books, games etc.) that I used to back in what they call "the formative years", regardless of the year of release. I think that happens to most people.

The trick is not letting yourself get fooled into making broad sweeping declarations about "the state of film music".
  6. NP: Lost in Space (1998) - Bruce Broughton

Truly one of these great descendants of 77s Star Wars. The original release (Intrada) provides a comprehensive and well rounded listening experience. I'll pass on the expanded release for now.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The trick is not letting yourself get fooled into making broad sweeping declarations about "the state of film music".

Reasoning with unreason is like playing chess with a pigeon. Lost cause.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Final Conflict Jerry Goldsmith

I'm sure every score from 1981 sounded as good as this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The 13th Warrior - J Goldsmith

I've no interest in ever hearing the scores from the first 12 movies in the series. This one is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The 13th Warrior - J Goldsmith

I've no interest in ever hearing the scores from the first 12 movies in the series. This one is good.

I can name two: Lionheart and First Knight. I'm at a loss with the other 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My memory's a bit cloudy but I think they were all by Graeme Revell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That would be why your memory is cloudy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2016
    NP: The Sea Hawk - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    The Utah Symphony Orchestra conducted by Varujan Kojian

Fabulous! A perfect interpretation of one of the greatest scores ever composed! I think I might do a Utah Symphony Orchestra re-recordings program one day! There isn't a bad one in the bunch!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!