• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Says the Williams completist. If ever a composer was "made holy" then it's him, no?

Far from it. Plenty of Williams scores I dislike or that are outright clunkers. He's most certainly not "exempt from criticism".

You aren't making any sense. Who cares how popular something is?

I think you're just being contrary now, and willfully disregarding my points. It's very transparent, Edmund. For the THIRD TIME, my main point of contention is when a score or composer is held in such high regard by a majority of people, that somehow any form of criticism is taken personally. Like it is some form of Holy Cow. It happens with a great many Goldsmith devotees over at FSM, for example, and it happens with scores like SUPERMAN (another example is Alex North's SPARTACUS). It's something I noticed when the Blue Box came out. I knew it was a popular film and score beforehand, but not on that level. It's a very unhealthy form of fandom.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    THE FURY - John Williams

Frist ever listen. Wow, this plays like a saner, more stylish prequel to Christopher Young's Hellraiser*.

*Yes, I'm well aware The Fury came first, but the similarities of its main theme are striking - and then that carousel at the end. If someone will ever make a film about Pinhead's childhood, I imagine the score to sound like this.

Pleased you enjoyed it. It's near impossible for me to imagine how this score sounds to you listening to it for the first time, I first heard it when I saw the film in 1978, it blew me away and I bought the lp next day.

Oh yes, I love it! Kinda kicking myself for not having checked it out earlier, but at the same time thrilled there's still so much from Williams to explore.

I don't know how familiar you were at the time with Williams' music, but I can imagine back then The Fury must've been a whole fresh approach for Williams. Although I recognize many influences that would return in his later works, it's still quite unique for him. I also wonder what his Dracula is like, still waiting for a label to pick up on that one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017
    Dracula is fantastic, very gothic/romantic. It's bound to get a release sooner or later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Dracula is fantastic, very gothic/romantic. It's bound to get a release sooner or later.

A NEW release, you mean. The old Varese is perfectly fine (never understood the 'sound' issues some have with this), but I understand it's getting increasingly hard to find. So a re-issue would be good.

THE FURY is brilliant, of course. Someone sent me the 2CD set once, but I think I played the film score version all but twice. When I transferred my music to iTunes, the album presentation was all that I transferred from this -- a brillant conceptualization of the score; like a deliciously dark symphony. The film is pants, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote

Oh yeah, gothic scoring AND John Williams sounds like my kinda score. So this is why I'm holding out for a proper listening experience and withholding from listening clips on YouTube.

Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

A NEW release, you mean. The old Varese is perfectly fine (never understood the 'sound' issues some have with this), but I understand it's getting increasingly hard to find. So a re-issue would be good.

Well yes, obviously. Since the original release has been out of print for quite a while now, and I've been expecting it to get some kind of new edition any moment now for the past 10 years, I've waited on getting it. Also because years ago, when I finally decided to shell out on an expensive copy of Poltergeist off eBay, the announcement of a new edition came out before my CD even arrived. I'm not doing that anymore.

Any moment now, though.

Thor wrote
    THE FURY is brilliant, of course. Someone sent me the 2CD set once, but I think I played the film score version all but twice. When I transferred my music to iTunes, the album presentation was all that I transferred from this -- a brillant conceptualization of the score; like a deliciously dark symphony. The film is pants, though.

That's also what I did - I put the album arrangement on iTunes which I chose to listen to, since it's attuned to the perfect listening experience. I'm anxious to hear the full film score now, but I'm sure I'll keep referring to the album presentation as my go-to. It's got a perfect suite-like program and exceptional sound.
  1. In the case of FURY I too prefer the album recording.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    In the case of FURY I too prefer the album recording.

Volker

Careful! Suddenly, we have overlapping taste on this thing too. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Space Between Us - Andrew Lockington

Most of it passes by pleasantly without leaving much of an impression, but "Biplane" is a lovely track! Great gradual transition from action into a big sweeping theme. Worth checking out for that piece alone. smile

that track grabbed me instantly as well smile
    The final track is quite good too. Quite original for Lockington, but not specifically a score I'll return to.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    In the case of FURY I too prefer the album recording.

Volker

Careful! Suddenly, we have overlapping taste on this thing too. wink

I think many fans agree on that, me included. However there are some really good tracks in the original score so I'm more than pleased to own the 2 disc release even if I rarely play the original score tracks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FILM MUSIC 1969-1994 (Michael J. Lewis)

Some great music on this 2CD promo set, even if some of the harmonic language is a bit simplistic at times. And he gotta ease up on those cymbals! Unfortunately, I discovered that the last part of disc 1 (THEATRE OF BLOOD and THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT) is hampered by digital pops and clicks and skips; something that must have happened when I transferred it from CD to iTunes. And now I've sold off the physical disc. Oh well.

Lewis seems to have disappeared from the film music scene in the mid 90s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2017 edited
    NP: GRAND PIANO (Victor Reyes)

The exuberant piano concerto is the real 'meat' of this, but it's good one. Sure, it's pure pastiche, and I ask myself why I don't listen to a classical piece instead (Rachmaninov or something), but it has some dramatic film music 'gimmicks' running through it that add a sense of urgency.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: The Untouchables - Ennio Morricone

I often don't think to go to this one, but I'm always surprised how thoughtful and beautiful it is. I so love Morricone. He's so delightful. And super thrilled he finally won the Oscar last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2017
    NP: HEARTBEEPS (John Williams)

One of the crappiest movies Williams has ever scored, and smack in the middle of his "Golden Period". It's a mystery for the ages. The score is charming in its own way, but also belongs among his weakest and oddest efforts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    NP: HEARTBEEPS (John Williams)

One of the crappiest movies Williams has ever scored, and smack in the middle of his "Golden Period". It's a mystery for the ages. The score is charming in its own way, but also belongs among his weakest and oddest efforts.

From IMDB:
    Composer John Williams was hired to provide the music for the film through his association with producer Michael Phillips. The two had worked together previously on "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (1977).

Probably a friends guesture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I seem to remember something similar from the liner notes. I still think it's a mystery, though -- no alarm clocks going off at any point in the production?!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I found an old news article that reported Ira Newborn was originally doing that film. Perhaps Williams didn't quite have the time he needed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Listened a couple recent releases this morning.

DIVIDE - Chris Tilton

Apparently Tilton helped produce the game itself and also wrote the score. That's kind of cool. I remember him being more active on the video game thread at the MovieMusicUK forum than on the music threads, so that's a good fit for him. As for the music, most of it was fairly unremarkable, though I did like the main titles, which on this album is the final track.

GOLD - Daniel Pemberton

A lot of this sounds like a continuation of his score for THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. It's got a cool vibe to it, and the use of the NYSE closing bell in several tracks is clever. There's some regional flavor to some of the music representing India or Latin America. There's quite a bit of acoustic guitar highlighted here, though it's never flashy. The penultimate track, "Blue Skies," is more contemplative than most of the album, and adds a little bit of dramatic weight to the end of the album. I think Pemberton is a really solid composer. It seems like he can deliver whatever a film needs, regardless of the genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2017 edited
    christopher wrote
    Listened a couple recent releases this morning.

DIVIDE - Chris Tilton

Apparently Tilton helped produce the game itself and also wrote the score. That's kind of cool!

Chris Tilton and his business partner run a company called Exploding Tube. They created/produced the game! Tilton had his hand in main aspects of the games production including level design and of course writing the score, which I think is fantastic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2017
    To use the word 'fantastic' about such an anonymous, soulless, directionless score as DIVIDE is flabbergasting to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Did you actually listen to it or skim through it like you do most of the stuff you 'listen' to?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I listened to it; or rather struggled my way through it. Once. It's not outright BAD, but it's so mediocre, it's rather painful. I've yet to hear anything by Tilton that has wowed me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I have a feeling that his association with the dreaded Giacchino has something to do with your destain for his music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That didn't occur to me before you said it. But you're right -- there's a connection there. I seem to remember enjoying his JUMPER moderately well, but not enough to keep it in my collection.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I think DEVIDE is really worth the while. Nothing overly special but good enough.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    L'Emperur Cyille Aufort

Wow. This is wonderful. Anyone disappointed with the sans-Fenton Planet Earth II score should give this a try.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    L'Emperur Cyille Aufort

Wow. This is wonderful. Anyone disappointed with the sans-Fenton Planet Earth II score should give this a try.

Totally agree! Superb work.

For those interested it is available on Spotify.
  7. That one is nice, indeed.

NP - A UNITED KINGDOM - Patrick Doyle

This was just released today. It's lovely, and tinged with sadness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    L'Emperur Cyille Aufort

Well I was certainly disappointed in it, so I'll look out for this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    L'Emperur Cyille Aufort

Well I was certainly disappointed in it, so I'll look out for this.

As you are the font of all knowledge and stuff can you tell me why George Fenton wasn't hired?

I didn't think PE II was that bad though a sense of disappointment pervaded it for me too.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Did you actually listen to it or skim through it like you do most of the stuff you 'listen' to?

Shots fired... kill

popcorn