• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    I'm impressed my phone was able to manage all those emoticons. But I made the mistake of scrolling up to Thor's comment, and it crashed.

Your phone is wise, and has better musical taste than certain Norwegians.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016
    NP: THE MAN WITHOUT A FACE (James Horner)

Another fairly recent acquisition (well, a few months old). More tingling pianos, soft flutes and great string harmonies. Nice!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Laughter is good for your soul!

You provide a lot of it. Thanks!

-Erik-

Erik can you edit your post and replace 'lol' with 'bounce' for even more hilarious effect?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    My browser choked on all those signs. Thanks Erik. rolleyes biggrin

That's easily solved: you need to install the latest plugin called 'Anti-Crash EW-post'.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm impressed my phone was able to manage all those emoticons. But I made the mistake of scrolling up to Thor's comment, and it crashed.

Your phone is wise, and has better musical taste than certain Norwegians.

Of course it has more sense. It's got 1gb of RAM.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2016
    The Force Awakens John Williams

Long since surpassed my most listened-to score of 2015. The more I listen, the more I'm astonished (and ashamed) how I could have been disappointed with it initially, however mildly. My third favourite Star Wars score.
  4. The first two being? smile Obviously Empire, but the first one?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2016 edited
    You already named it wink (Empire first, Jedi second!)

I realise I'm trespassing in Weirtadedland by not putting the first score in my top three, but, well...there it is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    You already named it wink (Empire first, Jedi second!)

I realise I'm trespassing in Weirtadedland by not putting the first score in my top three, but, well...there it is.

Third!? Your third favourite Star Wars score is THE FORCE AWAKENS behind EMPIRE and JEDI dizzy spin uhm

Oh my.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm surprised you didn't make more of a point of it being in front of A New Hope. But yes, I would have to place it third simply because Star Wars (the first one) is a score I rarely play. What I love about that score I get more enjoyment from the sequels. I suppose on those terms, the fact that it introduced some of the greatest themes ever written, it's higher up on the list. But in terms of what I listen to more often, and what I'm more likely to choose over the other, The Force Awakens trumps it by many parsecs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Not really. It's how I hear it. On a purely factual level, there may not be cymbal crashes every two seconds, but it's part of a general "overblown" aesthetic, IMO. It doesn't have the kind of build-up and dynamics (neither within tracks nor within the album as a whole) as TERESA or ISABEL. It's like Jusid wants to go "full-on" from the start to the end (that it taps into different idioms along the way isn't really relevant when this overall aesthetic informs it). So I find it a bit tiring as a listening experience.

But by all means -- it's not bad. It's just not as good as everyone says it is.

From what i've heard from Jusid, whose work i absolutely love in general terms (except for his modern electronic ' must get the bills paid' droney scores he put out this year) , nothing surpasses ISABEL so far, all season. But both Teresa and Carlos are quite lovely, really.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Steven wrote
    I'm surprised you didn't make more of a point of it being in front of A New Hope. But yes, I would have to place it third simply because Star Wars (the first one) is a score I rarely play. What I love about that score I get more enjoyment from the sequels. I suppose on those terms, the fact that it introduced some of the greatest themes ever written, it's higher up on the list. But in terms of what I listen to more often, and what I'm more likely to choose over the other, The Force Awakens trumps it by many parsecs.

Not only does ANH introduce all those classic themes, it's also constantly melodic and filled with constant hooks and fanfares, something that IMHO The Force Awakens doesn't do. Not in those 5 listens so far. I actually don't have the urge to hear it again (it's been a month and a half), and that is something that surprises me which each day that passes. I used to eat this stuff up for breakfast.

But as the movie's coming out soon, I'll maybe have a different point of view.
  5. I'm in full agreement with Steven here, concerning ANH. I put TFA in fourth position after TPM though.

ROJ, TESB, TPM, TFA, ANH, ROTS, AOTC
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Everyone but Gilles should sit with Thor for the remainder if the week. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    THE FORCE AWAKENS comes last in my list, but it's still a good score, overall.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Martijn wrote

Will Thor bring beer? And will there be karaoke? And will we play quizzes? punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm. That kinda backfired quickly. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I'm in full agreement with Steven here, concerning ANH. I put TFA in fourth position after TPM though.

ROJ, TESB, TPM, TFA, ANH, ROTS, AOTC

You need a fucking degree in Egyptian hieroglyphics to parse this fucking post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I shall endeavour to translate:
    Return Of the Jedi, The Empire Strikes Back, [not part of the offical vocabulary; clearly a mistake], The Force Awakens, Star Wars, Something That Came Before, [not part of the offical vocabulary; clearly a mistake].

Not easy, I grant you. One would need a degree in several disciplines (psychology among them) to properly interpret these.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Your efforts are nothing short of heroic.
  7. It's like a Score Fan Basics 101. If you don't know it, you need to attend some fictional score class. You should know that, just as you should know:

TMP
    TWoK
    TSfS
    TVH
    TFF
    TUC

And:
    RotLA
    ToD
    TLC

Otherwise we might have to send you to a lecture by Thor on scores in film.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. justin boggan wrote

And:
    RotLA
    ToD
    TLC

I believe the official titles are :

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

IJatRotLA

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

IJatToD

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

IJatLC

and finally, the one that should never have been made, with an overly long name to boot:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

IJatKotCS

dizzy
  9. Isn't it faster and much more comprehensible to just write "Raiders" instead of RotLA? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use RotLA!
  10. SWE1TPM
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Isn't it faster and much more comprehensible to just write "Raiders" instead of RotLA? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use RotLA!

Indy (Mr. Woods) will whip your for your lack of respect. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Excuse me sir!!! I think you'll find that STAR WARS ( yeah, that one before it was given an episode sub-title ) appears at #16 on my top 50 film score albums thread.

Still, I'll happily go to Thor's with everyone else where I will subvert their wills away from the dark side.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Isn't it faster and much more comprehensible to just write "Raiders" instead of RotLA? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use RotLA!

I think you'll find him more inclined to use that lash on you for daring to call it Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Excuse me sir!!!

Oh, very well.
    But I'll keep my eye on you, young man.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I think you'll find him more inclined to use that lash on you for daring to call it Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. wink

yeah
    And if he doesn't, I will. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Rolling on the Laughing Attic?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HALO: SPARTAN STRIKE (Tom Salta)

One of the best game scores last year (never played the game, nor will I ever). It's about 20 minutes too long, but some smokin' great tracks here.
    I am extremely serious.